U of Iowa Refuses to Schedule North Dakota

SPGroth

Heard on (1600am) that The University of Iowa has announced that the Iowa track team can NOT schedule the University of North Dakota for a track meet. This is due to their mascot (The Fighting Sioux) that is not recognized by the NCAA.

For those of you wondering, Iowa can still face the Illini because they are contractually obligated through the Big1G Conference.

Would be interested to get Sioux34's take on this.

I hope we have a policy against the domers...as an irishman....i think fighting irish is awful. I am benevolent.

Well that is interesting since the Hawkeye state is named after the blackhawk indians and various tribes or was it chief blackhawk of the Ioway indians.

If degree of political correctness could somehow be classified as a sport, the University of Iowa would be a national powerhouse.

Well that is interesting since the Hawkeye state is named after the blackhawk indians and various tribes or was it chief blackhawk of the Ioway indians.

They were talking about the Hawkeye name on the B&B show. The nickname, Hawkeyes came from a character from the Last of the Mohicians.

They were talking about the Hawkeye name on the B&B show. The nickname, Hawkeyes came from a character from the Last of the Mohicians.

I thought we were named after that one guy on M.A.S.H.!? :confused:

Seriously though, what a joke. MoseSchrute nailed it. PC is definitely ruining this country.

How did Iowa hawkeyes get their team name?

The team name for the University of Iowa, being the largest and first recognized public college in the state of Iowa is based on the state nickname of the "Hawkeye State" which was first suggested by James G. Edwars as a tribute to Indian Chief Black Hawk.

Read more: How did Iowa hawkeyes get their team name

Yeah this is why I boycott the Minnesota Vikings how dare they use vikings as their mascot. But Notre Dame Fighting Irish really offend me since I am mainly irish. That little green mascot they use is extremely offensive.

So we won't play a team that uses a Native American mascot because it's offensive, but we play the Illini because we are contractually obligated to? Since it's apparently so important to the U of I to be politically correct, shouldn't we drop out of the Big Ten and become independent so that we can't be forced to play anyone that has an offensive mascot? So we are PC, expect when it will cost us the financial benefits of conference affiliation? Sounds like a double standard to me.