U of Iowa McDonald's All American History

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
I think these are all of the players who played for Iowa who were McDonald's All Americans in the 35 year history of the event:

1981: Michael Payne
1982: Brad Lohaus
1984: Al Lorezen
1985: Roy Marble
1985: Ed Horton
1988: Ray Thompson
1992: Kenyon Murray
1994: Chris Kingsbury
1995: Sam Okey*
1997: Luke Recker**

* Okey committed to Wisconsin, played for them and transfered to Iowa
**Recker committed to Indiana, transfered to Arizona, never played there then came to Iowa

So the last McDonald's All American than Iowa recruited and landed out of high school was Chris Kingsbury.

The State of Iowa has produced five McDonald's All Americans.

1984: Al Lorenzen
1994: Raef LaFrentz
1999: Nick Collison
2011: Harrison Barnes
2012: Marcus Paige

Just one of the five played for Iowa
Four of the five played (will play) collegiately for a Roy Williams coached team; 2 while at Kansas, 2 while at UNC

McDonalds game featured the usual array of long athletes that look like future Kentucky,UNC,Cuse,and Baylor type players.

As they said during the game, Kentucky has locked up two of these current McDonalds players already. But, they will likely lose 6 of their top 7 players to the pros,so they may end up with at least 3-4 more MaDonalds guys,like Muhammed,the MVP of the game. Could get Noels also. Most certainly they will end up with 5-7 of the top 15 players in the country...will it ever end?

I am almost positive that Andre Woolridge was a McDonald's AA when he originally signed with Nebraska.

Paige in the DSM Register today, "I just wanted to show that I'm arguably the top point guard in the class and show off my floor game and give Carolina fans a preview of what I think I can bring to the table."

To me, that sort of dispels the myth that Davis couldn't recruit. He got 4 McD AA to come to Iowa in 13 years and the supposed great recruiter that Alford was only got 1 in 8 years.

McDonalds game featured the usual array of long athletes that look like future Kentucky,UNC,Cuse,and Baylor type players.

As they said during the game, Kentucky has locked up two of these current McDonalds players already. But, they will likely lose 6 of their top 7 players to the pros,so they may end up with at least 3-4 more MaDonalds guys,like Muhammed,the MVP of the game. Could get Noels also. Most certainly they will end up with 5-7 of the top 15 players in the country...will it ever end?

It is going to have to unless the APR becomes null and void...at some point it has to catch up to them.

Jerome Harper from TN, 2000 Iowa recruit and McD AA according to the site. I remember him well. Actually no glimmer of a memory. Anyone recall this guy?

Jerome Harper from TN, 2000 Iowa recruit and McD AA according to the site. I remember him well. Actually no glimmer of a memory. Anyone recall this guy?

I think it should say Iowa State. Harper was a top SG and committed to Cincinnati before going to Indian Hills and signing with Iowa State. He had some major personal/off the court issues and never played D1 basketball.

It is kind of interesting that when we moved from the Fieldhouse(or should I say broke ground on CHA) we picked up five McDonalds AAs in five years and a couple other all-time Hawkeye greats(Stokes & Armstrong). Of course Raveling and Olson were far superior as recruiters to the three coaches that followed them. Had they been at Iowa after AAU ball changed the recruiting landscape we would have had even more talent in the 1980s.

Latest posts