Tyler Cook?

Wow, so you saw it from the stands and had a better look than the officials on the floor and even after watching the monitor? All the replays I saw during the game never not showed space between Tyler's face and a Pitt player's extremity. But show some video and prove us wrong. Tyler was frustrated. Pitt defended him well. Tyler would get the ball and the rest of the team would stand around waiting for him to go one-on-one to the basket but it never happened. With his hops he should be able to stop and pop but he he just doesn't have that game. Fact.

Tyler's lack of game is not just on Tyler but the coaching staff as well. He doesn't even rebound all that well. Reggie Evans played in the NBA because he was a freak on the boards.

Fran and his staff don't have a great record of developing players. Fran is entering his 9th season here and only two of his players have had a cup of coffee in the NBA. Marble and Uthoff played in a combined 53 games in the NBA.

I do like Garza's game and work ethic. His lack of foot speed is what is going to hurt him and that is why Fran sat him for like the final ten. He was forced to go with a quicker lineup.
Perhaps Dolph can make some ON AIR comments about, "why don't Iowa's big men develop post moves, who teaches this art and skill, why can't Fran teach this?, why do other teams (Like Wisconsin, et. al.) develop post moves under the basket, and we blindly flail away?"

Garza is trying...Cook just "Goes NBA" driving, seldom looking to others, reluctant to clang a short jumper, and pouts when the opponent isn't called for a foul.

Since no one poster anything, I thought I would put this out there so others can draw their own conclusions ...

I haven't paid much attention to the arguments here, but it looks like Tyler's head initiated contact into the defender's upper arm/triceps. Didn't look like defender's elbow got Cook in any way. Kinda looked like Cook was selling it to make sure he got a foul called.

I haven't paid much attention to the arguments here, but it looks like Tyler's head initiated contact into the defender's upper arm/triceps. Didn't look like defender's elbow got Cook in any way. Kinda looked like Cook was selling it to make sure he got a foul called.
Watch when the arm of the defender first starts going up it's not a great angle but I think that's when he hits him and he continues to raise his arms up. We've all seen a lot less not called... Didn't think it was worse than just a regular foul but never the less...

Watch the video just before his head snaps back. The player coming from the left side hits Cook's head just above the temple with his elbow. His reaction is delayed, as it normally in a situation like that. It's not that hard to see.

Some of the comments here are down right pitiful.

Watch when the arm of the defender first starts going up it's not a great angle but I think that's when he hits him and he continues to raise his arms up. We've all seen a lot less not called... Didn't think it was worse than just a regular foul but never the less...
I'd have to see a side angle view to be sure, but it doesn't look like contact was made. If it was, it wasn't much more than a very slight grazing. Also, it surely wasn't anything intentional on the defender's part. He clearly was just in the process of putting his arm up in the air.

I'd have to see a side angle view to be sure, but it doesn't look like contact was made. If it was, it wasn't much more than a very slight grazing. Also, it surely wasn't anything intentional on the defender's part. He clearly was just in the process of putting his arm up in the air.
I agree that it wasn't intentional, but if you can't see his elbow part Cook's hair you may need an eye exam.

This is so stupid I don’t even know where to begin.

Dev Marble wasn’t even a nationally ranked recruit and ended as a 1st Team All B1G player and NBA Draft Pick

Aaron White wasn’t ranked nationally and ended as a 1st Team All B1G player and NBA Draft Pick.

Uthoff was ranked 149 nationally and ended as a 2nd Team All-American

Peter Jok was not ranked nationally and ended as a 1st Team All B1G player.

Did you know Bo Ryan was at UW and they went to the dance 18 consecutive years they rarely ever put guys into the NBA? Would you then conclude he’s not good at developing player as well?

If you think Iowa is going to be an NBA factory you are about as clueless as they come. Fran’s job is to coach good college players and win games, so far the results are mixed at best. He has developed a few lowly rated players into very good college players though.

I see the point you made hear and can’t argue with the examples you gave with the exception of Peter Jok. If memory serves me right I believe Peter was ranked #1 in the nation at the guard position before he got injured in high school. If not number one then pretty darn close.

I see the point you made hear and can’t argue with the examples you gave with the exception of Peter Jok. If memory serves me right I believe Peter was ranked #1 in the nation at the guard position before he got injured in high school. If not number one then pretty darn close.
Your right about Jok. I think he was really highly thought of his freshman year. Had all that hype and I still wonder the type of player he'd have been had he not shredded his knee. That said if he never got hurt he may not have ended up a Hawk either. He woulda had the same type of recruitment that Harrison Barnes had.. Fran stuck with him the whole time and hardly anyone else was even in on him after his junior year.

Your right about Jok. I think he was really highly thought of his freshman year. Had all that hype and I still wonder the type of player he'd have been had he not shredded his knee. That said if he never got hurt he may not have ended up a Hawk either. He woulda had the same type of recruitment that Harrison Barnes had.. Fran stuck with him the whole time and hardly anyone else was even in on him after his junior year.

Couldn’t agree more about what likely would have happened if he hadn’t got hurt.

Because Jok got hurt he came in underwear he might have in the recruiting world. Fran became strapped to Joc after his injury and continued to support him.

This is so stupid I don’t even know where to begin.

Dev Marble wasn’t even a nationally ranked recruit and ended as a 1st Team All B1G player and NBA Draft Pick

Aaron White wasn’t ranked nationally and ended as a 1st Team All B1G player and NBA Draft Pick.

Uthoff was ranked 149 nationally and ended as a 2nd Team All-American

Peter Jok was not ranked nationally and ended as a 1st Team All B1G player.

Did you know Bo Ryan was at UW and they went to the dance 18 consecutive years they rarely ever put guys into the NBA? Would you then conclude he’s not good at developing player as well?

If you think Iowa is going to be an NBA factory you are about as clueless as they come. Fran’s job is to coach good college players and win games, so far the results are mixed at best. He has developed a few lowly rated players into very good college players though.

You make some good points. Marble, White and Jok were 3* recruits.

How did these other 3* 's develop under Fran and his assistants?: Basabe, Ellingson, Uhl, Wagner, Ogelsby, Clemmons. Pemsl. Moss was a 3*/4*.

How did his two consensus 4*'s, Gesell and Woodbury develop? They regressed as did several others on the above list.

Bo Ryan was the head coach at Wisconsin for 14 1/2 seasons. 8 of his players played or are currently playing in the NBA. Dekker, Harris, Hayes, Kaminsky, Leuer, Penney, Stiemsma, Tucker.

Iowa WAS kind of a NBA factory during the Tom Davis era. 12 players he coached at Iowa played in the NBA.

Steve Alford coached 3 players that saw time in the NBA. One more than Fran.

This conversation started because I don't see much improvement in Tyler Cook's game and he desperately wants to play in the NBA. I would love to be wrong in the end.

Fran's recruiting has been poor and his overall performance at Iowa has been mixed. That we agree on.