Tyler Cook

longtimer

It seems we just want him to be a first team all big ten player because after each game I read mostly about his play. He was 3-8 all dunks as I recall with 2 Free throws 10 rebounds and 4 turnovers. I think the game before he had 6 or 7 turnovers. He did a good job on the boards and maybe his defense is improving but he is a turnover machine. You just cant have that many from your power forward position. Didnt see the first 2 games but he didnt make a shot other than a dunk as I recall against Oregon.
Its an adventure when he puts the ball on the floor. Of course he does have athletic ability but until he develops a mid range jump shot and learns to put the ball on the floor without turning it over he is not going to contend for 1st team all big ten status let alone make it in the NBA

First bucket of the game was a layup. He has been given more freedom to drive to the bucket from outside the perimeter because our guards have limited driving ability. This will naturally lead to more turnovers than your average PF that plays on the block.

First bucket of the game was a layup. He has been given more freedom to drive to the bucket from outside the perimeter because our guards have limited driving ability. This will naturally lead to more turnovers than your average PF that plays on the block.

I think Cook is dangerous when he catches the ball on a swing pass at the top of the key. He has a really quick first step. He is also really good with the ball in transition. I'd like to see more outlet passes to him after a rebound. Bohannon off ball is more dangerous on the break or secondary break.

I think Cook is dangerous when he catches the ball on a swing pass at the top of the key. He has a really quick first step. He is also really good with the ball in transition. I'd like to see more outlet passes to him after a rebound. Bohannon off ball is more dangerous on the break or secondary break.
I would not say he’s good with the ball in transition. That’s where the majority of his turnovers come. Had a few last night.

I liked Tyler’s overall game last night. It wasn’t his best performance, but he played hard throughout and that wasn’t always the case in prior years. I’d like to see him get back on the block a little bit more because he is a handful for most college players down there.

Turnovers still need to be reduced but I’ve been very pleased with TC’s play this season (I have seen all 3 games). He’s unselfish on both ends of the floor. He’s more engaged on defense and is moving the ball on offense, where at times it bogged down when he had it in his hands last year. Defenses are keying on him and he’s moving it along. He’s also gotten to the FT line 22 times in 3 games.

I would not say he’s good with the ball in transition. That’s where the majority of his turnovers come. Had a few last night.

I liked Tyler’s overall game last night. It wasn’t his best performance, but he played hard throughout and that wasn’t always the case in prior years. I’d like to see him get back on the block a little bit more because he is a handful for most college players down there.
Cook has TOs when he drives in 1/2 court; when he gets ball in transition and an open floor—not so much.

Turnovers still need to be reduced but I’ve been very pleased with TC’s play this season (I have seen all 3 games). He’s unselfish on both ends of the floor. He’s more engaged on defense and is moving the ball on offense, where at times it bogged down when he had it in his hands last year. Defenses are keying on him and he’s moving it along. He’s also gotten to the FT line 22 times in 3 games.
Tonight I’d like to see him get down on the block. It doesn’t look like UConn has a bunch of size.

Overall I’ve been happy with his play. He’s engaged and playing hard. There will be nights where he takes over a game.

Cook has TOs when he drives in 1/2 court; when he gets ball in transition and an open floor—not so much.
I disagree. Against GB he tried bringing it up in transition and dribbled off his foot. Had another turnover in transition I think I recall that game. Last night at least two of them I remember were him trying to dribble the ball in transition.

Now his ability to handle the ball at his size is a key in our press break.

I’m not opposed to him bringing the ball up in transition, as I think he can do it. He just has to pick his spots a little bit better.

Fran is working with him to evolve his game and at times play point forward. This helps the spacing for Garza and Kriener - or just spacing in general. I do agree that they need to make sure he gets some looks posting up still but it's a nice offensive option to have.

Tonight I’d like to see him get down on the block. It doesn’t look like UConn has a bunch of size.

Overall I’ve been happy with his play. He’s engaged and playing hard. There will be nights where he takes over a game.

Good point. I would like to see him post up a bit more, especially when Garza pops out. It did it some against UWGB down the stretch. CM is doing a good job of feeding it in there, too.

That makes up for some aggressive albeit sloppy TOs. Because as you said the rest of his game has been great. He's not forcing shots. His shot selection has been solid. I think how Cook goes is how the Hawks go. He doesn't have to put up 15 plus for us to win we just had that proven to us against what should be a good team no less. I'm way more encouraged now than I was prior to last night for this teams potential

TC has been surprisingly unselfish. I thought with the NBA decision thing he was going to try to be a me-first guy and try to go get his numbers. Maybe the NBA gave him even better info than I thought they would...and he's rounding out his entire game.

His outside shot still seems bad, but if he can get the first step on his man he's like a freight train going to the basket.

It seems like over half of his turnovers have been due to a help defender on the wing he's driving on swiping at the ball. Tyler keeps trying to split his guy and the help leading to a turnover. The guy on the wing needs to flow with Tyler as he drives to open up a passing lane for a corner 3. Either the help decides to retreat back to his guy or Tyler can find the open teammate for the 3. Joe has been on the receiving end for a couple of these and also has failed to move with Tyler leading to his man stripping the ball.

In other words spacing and Tyler forcing things... It's nitpicking an offense that has been pretty efficient but thought I'd throw out some food for thought.

Still think he needs to show he can make a jump shot to make the rest of his game more effective

It seems we just want him to be a first team all big ten player because after each game I read mostly about his play. He was 3-8 all dunks as I recall with 2 Free throws 10 rebounds and 4 turnovers. I think the game before he had 6 or 7 turnovers. He did a good job on the boards and maybe his defense is improving but he is a turnover machine. You just cant have that many from your power forward position. Didnt see the first 2 games but he didnt make a shot other than a dunk as I recall against Oregon.
Its an adventure when he puts the ball on the floor. Of course he does have athletic ability but until he develops a mid range jump shot and learns to put the ball on the floor without turning it over he is not going to contend for 1st team all big ten status let alone make it in the NBA
He is a gifted athlete and he's made strides since last season. But he's a lazy passer and prone to dumb turnovers.

I really like his effort on the boards so far, though.

Seems like there is always one player that drives up their stock immensely due to their play and the tournament's publicity. Maybe Cook is next, who knows.

Seems like Cook spends a lot of time talking to the refs after calls and really wants to understand why they made the calls. It is probably some of the best coaching he gets!

I still hate it when he forces his shot, I might be wrong but I still do not see an NBA player in Cook.

But at least he only had 2 turnovers last night.