Tyler Cook Pulls Name Out of NBA Draft, Returning to Iowa

Good for you, Tyler. You made a good decision to declare for the NBA, listened to their input, tried out with a series of NBA teams, talked to your college coaches, your parents, teammates, friends. This is how mature adults make decisions. I trust you did the right thing and will be more than pleased to watch you play for the Hawkeyes next season. Welcome back to the fold!

Like Rob letting him know he was part of the problem with turnovers and poor defense in his "welcome back". Geez...he knows his weaknesses by now. I really like his offensive game...and if he improves like he did last year...he's a killer down low and going to the basket. Dude is physical.

We are going to need an inside presence to offset the threes raining down from Jordan and Joe. I have a feeling that Connor will play a big role distributing the ball to our sharpshooters. Tyler and Luka will certainly attract attention inside. Have a feeling that this will be a good year.....

There was a lot of improvement in Tyler's midrange game last season, making him even more difficult to contain. I would imagine even more improvement this year......

Glad he decided to come back. Good for him to gain more experience and very good for the fans.....

Alright.....

:cool:

Folks, Cook requires a double-team. I now can see Garza having a monster year and, in turn, Nunge can grow. Imagine a front line of Cook, Garza and Nunge. Next season can now be a NCAA season. the players need to commit to defense and we could have a really good season.

They seemed to double-team Jordan a lot last year. Won't be able to do that now with Joe on the perimeter and Tyler and Garza inside. The Dance is certainly possible.....

The D Must improve for a trip to the Dance.....

Yes, 90 won't do any good if the other team gets 95. And it's hard to get a transition game going when you're constantly taking the ball out of the net. It's also hard to get a transition game going when you don't have a jet at point guard and plodders are trying to fill the lanes, but that's another story.

Between Cook Nunge and Pemsl that 4 spot is as jammed up as it was last year somethings gotta give. For Nunge to grow it'd be at Pemsls expense... You could even throw Kreiner in this discussion although he sorta plays the 5 spot some. I dunno if this is just me but I'd rather see more Nunge or Kreiner instead of Pemsl. I think Pemsl has such a low ceiling... I like the kid he's an Iowa tough guy through and through. But he's caught up in a log jam of being sandwiched between a stud in Cook and a longer kid with more potential in Nunge… There's just not enough mins to make everyone happy.

Nunge played 15 mins a game last yr. Some of it out of position at the 3. And was our 2nd leading shot blocker... He'll deserve more time than that. How much more I'm not sure but he can't get a second more if Pemsl is still there...

Hawk, i think you are right re: Pemsl. Pemsl has work to do to prove his worth. He also needs to develop a 10-15 ft jumper. Pemsl's minutes will come when that happens. Imagine if Pemsl had that jump shot and you could play him at the 3. how many 3's could then guard him down low?

It is good news for Iowa no doubt. It does give them back another body that has NBA dunking power. But, Tyler needs to keep working on his jump shot, defense, and be able to knock down his free-throws to boot. Again not really shocking that he is coming back. Somewhat surprising he did not go another direction other than Iowa though.

Hopefully he got some good info and can put it to use. Perhaps, pass along a few notes to Fran as well on defense.

It is good news for Iowa no doubt. It does give them back another body that has NBA dunking power. But, Tyler needs to keep working on his jump shot, defense, and be able to knock down his free-throws to boot. Again not really shocking that he is coming back. Somewhat surprising he did not go another direction other than Iowa though.

Hopefully he got some good info and can put it to use. Perhaps, pass along a few notes to Fran as well on defense.

i am actually hopeful TC can get his jump shot down because of how he improved his ft's last season. i don't know for sure but i think TC finished 75% at the ft line. anyone that can shoot 70%-75% can become a consistent jump shooter. that's my opinion. ft's are a repeated motion and is mostly confidence. that goes for jump shots too.

I am glad Cook is coming back, and not surprised he is...

That said, I wonder how, if your life long dream is to play in the NBA...why from the time you are very young you don't spend hours a day shooting a basketball so your shot becomes second nature...and zeroed in...just don't get that. It is a skill you can work on, all alone...or with a buddy.

He has the physical ability few at Iowa have had, which is obvious, but I have never been that impressed with his overall game: defense, court smarts, rebounding, winning...

Good news for him...he knows what he needs, and has a year, or two to work on the issues...hope he does well this year, and hopefully in the NBA.

Honestly anything less than a top BIG10 5 finish and a tourney birth and Fran should pack. We cant settle for NIT and we "shoulds" . We need to progress and Fran and players need to understand offense wins games, defense wins championships.
I gotta feeling we'll be in the NIT and then we'll hear more of the "on the right trajectory" comments :rolleyes:along with the "next year we're gonna be a veteran team, so we need to give Fran an extra year, plus we can't afford the buyout...."

I gotta feeling we'll be in the NIT and then we'll hear more of the "on the right trajectory" comments :rolleyes:along with the "next year we're gonna be a veteran team, so we need to give Fran an extra year, plus we can't afford the buyout...."

Not from me. If Fran can't make the NCAA tournament this year he should be gone, period end of story.

Not from me. If Fran can't make the NCAA tournament this year he should be gone, period end of story.
Agree. While short on seniors, this is now a veteran team that's been around the league a couple times. But we still have, on our bench, a man who is 22-49 or whatever it was in games decided by six points or less. That's and average of about nine games a season. If he is .500 in those games, that's worth two more wins a season and perhaps two of those NIT teams are in the NCAA. I am not hedging off my prediction of a 7th-8th place finish unless defense improves and late game execution improves. And seventh or eighth won't make the dance. Hopefully Connor and Joe can make a difference.

Jbo
Moss
Weiskamp
Cook
Garza

That's my hunch
If Weiskamp's game translates to the next level as well as it potentially can, he may well be starting some games after the season gets going. Not so sure about earlier in the season. That said, I don't have a better lineup than the couple posted.
I think the Hawks will be hungry and dedicated to be vastly improved over last year and I would expect a strong run at the tournament. If those things don't happen, Fran will be hungry for a new job at the end of the season.
I really expect excellent things for next year and am thrilled for Tyler to be back!

NCAA or bust

Expectations should be NCAA. Only concern for me is the noncon - Iowa really needs to make hay there, because the Big 10 could be looking at only 5 or so bids again next year. Gonna need a strong resume out of the noncon IMO. Does 20 games start next year?

I'm hopeful that having more capable ball handlers like Connor and Joe - along with MD, Isiah and Jordan are really going to help the ball pressure Jordan saw constantly last year. MD wasn't strong with the ball until late in the season, (and still wasn't great or comfortable at the top). Teams would just pressure Jordan cause he was the only one who Iowa had that could handle the ball with pressure, they'd wear him out and Iowa had no answers because he was all they had. If they can improve on turnovers, their transition D should also improve. 222 in turnovers is a great way to stay in shape, but not win ball games.

Hawk, i think you are right re: Pemsl. Pemsl has work to do to prove his worth. He also needs to develop a 10-15 ft jumper. Pemsl's minutes will come when that happens. Imagine if Pemsl had that jump shot and you could play him at the 3. how many 3's could then guard him down low?
Yeah there's a better chance of Cook expanding his game and cutting down on his turnovers than Pemsl doing as your suggesting... Cook should be a 20/10 guy. Now he may not be and doesn't necessarily have to be to have a great year. But he's beyond capable of it. Pemsl just has such a limited offensive game that it's hard to keep him out there long stretches. As good of a screener as he is he's not a pick and pop guy obviously. Nunge with more experience can get better at setting screens and then reading them to either roll to hoop or pop out to hit jumpers. It just makes playing offense so much easier when you can do everything out there.

Expectations should be NCAA. Only concern for me is the noncon - Iowa really needs to make hay there, because the Big 10 could be looking at only 5 or so bids again next year. Gonna need a strong resume out of the noncon IMO. Does 20 games start next year?

this year. Iowa's RPI shouldn't be a problem this season if they can win some. That's just it, they gotta win some and avoid bad loses. The parts are there and Fran will have more at his disposal in the back court where he was limited last year.

Latest posts