Two underappreciated Hawks players

It was just 4 or 5 games ago that he struggled for a couple of games. Now he's lights out. The same reason guys like McCabe, Clemmons, Oglesby, etc. have to get a few minutes a game even if they struggle. It's just a bump in the road. Gesell was outstanding today. Overall a complete "Team" win IMO.

Excellant observation. Just because a player has a bad game or two doesn't mean you put them on the shelf. Let them work through it. Woody will eventually come around we just need to be patient as he develops.

In seriousness, there isn't one player I don't appreciate on this team for what they do. Everybody has their role and they play it well. The one who bugs me the most is probably Marble with his shot selection sometimes, since he occasionally tries to do it all by himself instead of being a team player.

Don't get the hate for McCabe. He's a 6'7 forward who can knock down the 3, hustles, and is often playing defense on the opposing post. Yeah, he had a horrible shooting night the other day with two airballs, but it happens. People seem to forget that he shot 45% from 3 as a sophmore and 32% last year when nobody was shooting the 3-ball well.

This season I've thought Gesell has been above avg but nothing special. In B1G play my eyes have been opened. He has been special.

Mea culpa.

Gesell plays like a senior point guard. He's only a sophmore.

1551498_712025695497824_395505698_n.jpg

The missed dunk by Woody is his most worrisome play as a Hawk: it tells me he is listening to his critics; going for a dunk is not part of his game, nor should it be since he isn't physically capable of exploding to the rim.
He makes that lay in and his game totally changes today. Be who you are, Big Fella!!

A lot of people around us at the game were chuckling after that. I wanted to upper cut every single one of them but I didn't want to drop my ice cream

"Yo, Mikey...I got a boogy hangin?" - Fran

"Umm, nah yer good." - Mike

The most underappreciated Hawk player has got to be Woodbury. Iowa wouldn't be nearly as good without Woodbury. Offensively he should be a lot better after another year with the weights, but defensively he is solid. It doesn't surprise me that Olesani is having a good year, but he is developing better than I thought he would. He is doing some things this year that he couldn't do last year, and the same will be true of Woodbury next year.

The 5 second call that Gessell caused to get us the ball back for the Oglesby 3 to end the 1st half was huge! Carver was rocking and the fans definitely helped with the end of the 1st half. Gonna be a hard place for teams to play if we can keep the fans engaged like they were today!

I love to see the atmosphere like this again. Wasn't long ago with the cringe...lick years....that you could sit in any seat you wanted.

I love to see the atmosphere like this again. Wasn't long ago with the cringe...lick years....that you could sit in any seat you wanted.

Ima gonna have to get to a game when I get back to Iowa. Going to cost me since I'll have to scalp, but it will be worth it.

People underestimate Mike Gesell's ceiling. He could be the best of this bunch before it is all said and done. From defense to scoring to distributing, Mike could be as complete a PG we've had since Andre.

Zach McCabe looks like Andy from Parks and Rec which is cool.

The most underappreciated Hawk player has got to be Woodbury. Iowa wouldn't be nearly as good without Woodbury. Offensively he should be a lot better after another year with the weights, but defensively he is solid. It doesn't surprise me that Olesani is having a good year, but he is developing better than I thought he would. He is doing some things this year that he couldn't do last year, and the same will be true of Woodbury next year.

All I can say is that I'm glad Olesani is getting more minutes than Woodbury. Olesani will likely be next year's starter. Who knows, Meyer might beat out Woody next year for the backup to Gabe.

This thread is mostly pointless. Next week it might be Sapp and Uthoff who were under appreciated and have a good game. The next week it might be Jok and Woodbury. Fran appreciates everyone, that's why the 11 man rotation.

I still think back to what someone on here posted over the summer when I think about Mike G. He is the guy you laughed at about getting matched up with in pick up game, and by the end of it he destroys you and you wonder how.

People underestimate Mike Gesell's ceiling. He could be the best of this bunch before it is all said and done. From defense to scoring to distributing, Mike could be as complete a PG we've had since Andre.

Zach McCabe looks like Andy from Parks and Rec which is cool.

Agree and I think next year we're going to see a big jump in MG's scoring. I expect him to be a 12-13 ppg next year and 15+ as a senior.

Latest posts