Two more high profile visitors

I don't think people really are grasping what this is. It's across the board. It's Nike schools, it's Reebok schools, it's Adidas schools. It's schools with losing records, schools with winning records. Schools with great recruiting classes, schools with sub par classes. It probably, in some way, involves every coaching staff in America. How much? That I don't know... but I think it's incredibly naive to believe that Fran, his assistants and the school doesn't know how the game works and aren't doing exactly what EVERY other school in the country is. These first schools getting popped are just the start. Will it change anything? I dunno? Will it result in every school getting sanctioned? I don't know. I am not saying IOWA is dirty... I am saying EVERYONE is.

Whats curious to me is if this is so widespread, as I agree it must be...how has more of this not come to light? Lets say Fran runs a clean program and he's recruiting a player, but there are sure-fire signs that the kid or his parents are looking for a handout. If Fran refuses, doesn't he have an obligation to report his suspicions? Lets say that kid then signs with Illinois. Fran knew the kid was looking for a handout, so that means the kid probably got a payday from Illinois. That means Illinois is crooked.

Maybe Fran doesn't report the kid because then it makes his program look bad in that they snitched? The only other explanations are that 1) Every single program does it, or 2) people are so selective and careful about who they talk to that a lot of teams are completely in the dark.

IMO one option makes a lot more sense than the other.

However, if it was so widespread you'd think people would have come out by now and blown the cover off the whole thing.

Whats curious to me is if this is so widespread, as I agree it must be...how has more of this not come to light? Lets say Fran runs a clean program and he's recruiting a player. Are there sure-fire signs that the kid or his parents are looking for a handout? If Fran refuses, doesn't he have an obligation to report his suspicions? Lets say that kid then signs with Illinois. Fran knew the kid was looking for a handout, so that means the kid probably got a payday from Illinois. That means Illinois is crooked.

Maybe Fran doesn't report the kid because then it makes his program look bad in that they snitched? The only other explanations are that 1) Every single program does it, or 2) people are so selective and careful about who they talk to that a lot of teams are completely in the dark.

Fran isn't going to report it because there's no evidence. No one is going to put their demands in writing. It's heresay at that point. So rather than end up being a snitch and being ostracized, you just move on to the players who aren't demanding a handout...

I understand exactly what's going on with these charges. And I think it's naive to believe that EVERY coach and program in America is involved. That's a bit much in the hyperbole department.

Every coach and program in the country has a shoe deal, every coach and program in the country goes to these camps. Every coach and program in the country fights over the same field. It's not hyperbole to believe that if this is the way it's been done for decades when shoe companies got involved in the game and it's always been done this way that every one is involved.

Every coach and program in the country has a shoe deal, every coach and program in the country goes to these camps. Every coach and program in the country fights over the same field. It's not hyperbole to believe that if this is the way it's been done for decades when shoe companies got involved in the game and it's always been done this way that every one is involved.
It is hyperbole if you have no evidence. I seriously doubt that every single one of the 350 D1 coaches in the country have terrible morals and act criminally....perhaps it says something about you?

Whats curious to me is if this is so widespread, as I agree it must be...how has more of this not come to light? Lets say Fran runs a clean program and he's recruiting a player, but there are sure-fire signs that the kid or his parents are looking for a handout. If Fran refuses, doesn't he have an obligation to report his suspicions? Lets say that kid then signs with Illinois. Fran knew the kid was looking for a handout, so that means the kid probably got a payday from Illinois. That means Illinois is crooked.

However, if it was so widespread you'd think people would have come out by now and blown the cover off the whole thing.

The door hasn't been blown off because schools, the ncaa and everyone involved is making money hand over foot. It took the FBI to look into this for anything to happen. Look, I am NOT saying Iowa is dirty, I am saying... I have 0 confidence that Iowa's staff isn't doing exactly what their peers are.

It is hyperbole if you have no evidence. I seriously doubt that every single one of the 350 D1 coaches in the country have terrible morals and act criminally....perhaps it says something about you?

Why do you have to make this personal or about me? I don't give a s about you...i don't understand how me understanding how deep this goes says something about me.

u aren't really grasping what I am saying. There is no moral high ground if everyone in the pool is playing by the same rules. No need to whistle blow if you might be in the same boat. I'd honestly be shocked if there was a SINGLE program in the country that was completely clean of what's going on here and it has absolutely NOTHING to do with the coaches moral compass. The school is in bed Nike, Fran is in bed with Nike... Nike is competing with Adidas for kids, camps, aau and select teams.

maybe it comes out that these are just rogue schools and the only ones doing it, but that's NOT what is being discussed on a national level.

Why do you have to make this personal or about me? I don't give a s about you...i don't understand how me understanding how deep this goes says something about me.

u aren't really grasping what I am saying. There is no moral high ground if everyone in the pool is playing by the same rules. No need to whistle blow if you might be in the same boat. I'd honestly be shocked if there was a SINGLE program in the country that was completely clean of what's going on here and it has absolutely NOTHING to do with the coaches moral compass. The school is in bed Nike, Fran is in bed with Nike... Nike is competing with Adidas for kids, camps, aau and select teams.

maybe it comes out that these are just rogue schools and the only ones doing it, but that's NOT what is being discussed on a national level.

In defense of Iowa and most other schools...the money seems to be flowing to the top of the top prospects. The ones the shoe companies know will more than likely make it to the NBA. How many top 50 recruits does Iowa ever land?

People might scoff at Auburn getting busted because they usually suck, but in 2016 they landed a 5-star and two 4-stars...in 2017 they landed two 4-stars....in 2015 they landed THREE 4-star recruits.

I still remember being at the Battle 4 Atlantis in the Bahamas a few years back. I was completely shocked to see 5 USC basketball players playing at the $15 craps table. For those that don't gamble as much as I do...$15 craps is a VERY expensive game. Most tables directly on the Vegas strip are only $10.

At the time I was just stunned and trying to figure out how those kids could afford that. Maybe we were all in denial, or maybe we were all just too entertained to care.

Isn't this what Bruce Pearl did to Illinois? Reported his suspicions about Jimmy Collins offering Deon Thomas money and a Chevy Blazer? One of the repercussions was Iowa being locked out of Chicago recruiting for the next 15-20 years. So, if you report, you better have concrete evidence.

Also, I find it interesting that the substance of Pearl's apology to Collins consisted of "I was young and didn't understand how things worked."

Everyone making boatloads of money...adorable fans fill arenas...

What is the motive to change the "system?"

We are a Nike school- Adidas is in trouble and schools associated with them.
This... If what the coaches did is actually a crime and not just an NCAA rules violation (I'm still trying to figure that out), then every pharmaceutical rep/hospital exec "team", real estate agent/home inspector/appraiser/loan officer "team" and insurance agent/adjuster "team", just to name a few, better be very nervous. That's not to say anything of elected official staffers/lobbyist "teams".

So, the lobbyists aren't illegal, only pharmaceuticals giving money directly to politicians. as we know, having lobbyists completely and totally prevents any under the table deals being made......

Heard a Jay Bilas interview yesterday and he basically said it all. There will be shockwaves around college bball for a bit, but nothing will change. There's billions of dollars involved in college basketball and all of these schools are signing massive contracts with these apparel companies. When that much money is involved there's too much at stake for anything to change.

The only options are to either let the players sign with agents out of high school (like baseball players do) or let the players make money off their likeness. Let adidas and Nike sponsor these athletes right out of high school if they're good enough. Right now Nike and Adidas have to sign partnerships with schools in order to force athletes to wear their gear. if you let the athlete get their own shoe deal right away, it takes away the partnerships and corruption with the schools.

But you can see why the schools and the NCAA would fight this to the death. It takes millions away from the schools and puts it into the player's pockets

then let the shoe/apparel companies start their own ncaa. keep the NCAA amateur.

Wait till they get to the "Big Baller Brand"...there is going to be all kinds of corruption there. Wait, they only sold one pair of shoes...nevermind I'll stay in my lane.

Two more high profile recruits planning visits to Iowa.

Jalen Suggs: 2020- 5* PG - Minneapolis, MN. (11/4 visit)

Mario McKinney: 2019 4* SG - Saint Louis, MO (10/7 visit)

http://247sports.com/Player/Jalen-Suggs-45572569

http://247sports.com/Player/Mario-McKinney-45572503

Two more high profile recruits planning visits to Iowa.

Jalen Suggs: 2020- 5* PG - Minneapolis, MN. (11/4 visit)

Mario McKinney: 2019 4* SG - Saint Louis, MO (10/7 visit)

http://247sports.com/Player/Jalen-Suggs-45572569

http://247sports.com/Player/Mario-McKinney-45572503

I wonder if the McKinney kid is related to former St. Louis Vashon guard Tyler McKinney who who went to Missouri a while back?

Latest posts