Two interesting play calls yesterday

Albeit old fashioned I played for an ole ball coach that is in the Iowa High School Hall of Fame and his motto was run it until they prove they can stop it....which if you look at Wadley and Daniels per carry avg. an end around doesn't make much sense in that situation.

Albeit old fashioned I played for an ole ball coach that is in the Iowa High School Hall of Fame and his motto was run it until they prove they can stop it....which if you look at Wadley and Daniels per carry avg. an end around doesn't make much sense in that situation.
Anyone consider the possibility that the end around play loosened up the defense just enough to allow Daniels to pick up the first down on the following play? Some times plays aren't really designed to pick up yardage, but rather to set up the next play.

Anyone consider the possibility that the end around play loosened up the defense just enough to allow Daniels to pick up the first down on the following play? Some times plays aren't really designed to pick up yardage, but rather to set up the next play.
The thing about that play that I liked was the formation and down and distance. With it being 3rd and 7 and Iowa having the 3 wr bunch set was they couldn't be 100% sure that Iowa was going to run the ball so they had to put the extra guy out to matchup with the bunch. Because if they left only 2 defenders to that side CJ I bet would have had the ability to audible to a quick hitter to Vandeberg there. Low risk in that he'd complete it and keep clock running. But they did and Daniels was able to plow ahead for the 1st down. Instead of trying to put everyone in the box and run into a brick wall that type of play just makes it easier for the players to execute

Yes I"ve thought of that everybody does that but usually you have complementary plays and NO I do not think that was designed for that but your guess is as good as mine.

When fans know what play is coming 50% of the time or more you know you've become predictable. The George Kittle play for a TD was genius. We need more scheme's that exploit what little receiving talent we have.

Might want to run the WR jet sweep formation a few times during the game as a fake. Does two things: loosens up the defense, freezes LBs and doesn't make it so obvious later when the play is run. Also, can pass from the formation with Scheel or Boyle. Hawks are so painfully vanilla.

The end-round makes no sense considering all we needed was one first down and could have just easily been stopped for a 5 yard loss, and often does when the defense knows you're running the ball.
Greg Davis has no idea what he's doing. Iowa has one of it's best QB's it's had and two solid RB's and we can't move the ball.

When they work, brilliant call. When they don't. Fire the coach. I mean really. One person's "makes no sense" play call is someone else's "be unpredictable" call. Call was OK in my book. Execution, not so much.

Might want to run the WR jet sweep formation a few times during the game as a fake. Does two things: loosens up the defense, freezes LBs and doesn't make it so obvious later when the play is run. Also, can pass from the formation with Scheel or Boyle. Hawks are so painfully vanilla.
I thought we'd have seen something like that sprinkled in. Not so much with Boyle but Scheel now that he's been in there more and Vandeberg. Anything that makes the LBs and safetys hesitate and have to read at the snap is a good play. Getting them all flowing one way with a fake and having Wadley going the other with the ball sure sounds good to me. Iowa's never done enough misdirection plays...

When they work, brilliant call. When they don't. Fire the coach. I mean really. One person's "makes no sense" play call is someone else's "be unpredictable" call. Call was OK in my book. Execution, not so much.

i have been calling for more counter play action from KF KOK and Davis for years, I just dont think on 2nd and 8 or 9 the way the Off Line and Leshun had been averaging good yards and late in the game it was a good call.

By the way is Jonathan Parker injured, being redshirted or just on the 3rd string. I like the posters idea of running some more jet sweep action because of how it affects the defense, you can hand it to the jet sweep guy, fake it to him and he can go out for passes, etc.

The end around actually would have got some yards if Scheel had cut back inside instead of stringing it out to the sideline.

i have been calling for more counter play action from KF KOK and Davis for years, I just dont think on 2nd and 8 or 9 the way the Off Line and Leshun had been averaging good yards and late in the game it was a good call.

By the way is Jonathan Parker injured, being redshirted or just on the 3rd string. I like the posters idea of running some more jet sweep action because of how it affects the defense, you can hand it to the jet sweep guy, fake it to him and he can go out for passes, etc.

He is injured. I think initially he was supposed to be out 6 weeks or so. I don't think he is even back practicing yet. Hulett was also supposed to be out about that long. I think the only player injured in camp that is back is Wisnieski but I think last week was his first back.

Unless it would have worked and then it would have been bold and courageous.

Bold - creative - innovative. Kirk needs to do more of that. That's not really his wheelhouse as he is fixated on "execution" rather than fooling or tricking the opponent. But if GD would just add 1 Hayden exotic per quarter . . . that would help our offense IMO. I think Kirk sees that type of play-calling as a gimmick not worthy of "real" coaches.

I am not into defending or attacking a single call during a long game. But, I will remind you that I have seen many posts over the last couple of years saying, "Why don't we run some counter type action? The opposing defenses seem to flow immediately to the first motion, right or left." Kind of what we did here...

The idea of misdirection is great, taking 3 seconds to do it is not. Faster defenses will shut it down for a loss. I don't have a problem with the reverse call itself, but it took way too long and that is not a time to take a potential loss, not when your having no problem getting 5 yards a pop.

Maybe the timing was off and they can quicken it up, because I would like to more of it...just faster.

This I like. Don't need to do it a lot, maybe once or twice a quarter. If they never flow to it, hand it off. If nothing else it qives a different look and slows a blitz and rush.

The idea of misdirection is great, taking 3 seconds to do it is not. Faster defenses will shut it down for a loss. I don't have a problem with the reverse call itself, but it took way too long and that is not a time to take a potential loss, not when your having no problem getting 5 yards a pop.

Maybe the timing was off and they can quicken it up, because I would like to more of it...just faster.

I think this illustrates an important point . . .

. . . a good idea at the wrong time. Reminds me of the fake FG against the Clones last year. I like the Bravado. But why the 2 runs up the middle and NOW you're gonna get cute?

Kirk, we luv your outside-the-box stuff. Just work on the timing bro.

@ 9:12

Last edited: