Two interesting play calls yesterday

uihawk82

I am still digesting yesterday's game and whether the hawks played avg or not.

But I can't believe the play call the Rutgers Off Coord called on their last offensive play, the 4th and 2. They ran that sweep to the left. They had been for the most part getting 4 yards a carry up the gut on the hawks. I know the hawks did have some real good penetration the play before and on a few other critical short third and 4th downs. That was the last thing I was expecting. I expected the same up the gut with a QB option to keep. But thanks Rutgers.

Now the other interesting play call was the end around to Scheel on our last possession. The Dee stopped Rutgers and Daniels banged out a first down on 2 strong running plays. Then a couple yards on first down and what does Greg Davis dial up but an end around. Now this is the type of play where you can lose 5-8 yards. Leshun and Wadley had really been running well in the second half especially so to call that reverse was just weird.

I agree with other posters that we are not running the ball enough (witness the pass plays called after King's great kickoff return when Rutgers tied it up).

Anyway, I feel that Greg Davis had real good year playcalling last year but how many think he has reverted back to no rhyme or reason to his playcalling?

Scheel made a good play by staying in bounds on the end-around that had been stuffed by the defense. That was thirty seconds of clock runoff when the game looked like it could have been a replay of last week.

Scheel made a good play by staying in bounds on the end-around that had been stuffed by the defense. That was thirty seconds of clock runoff when the game looked like it could have been a replay of last week.

Yes it was great that he stayed in bounds and got a couple of yards but the reverse can backfire, remember Iowa vs Texas in the Outback bowl.

I'm ok with an end around there, Iowa's strong tendency is to pound it... and we moan about predictability don't we? So yes a bit of change is fine

So you have just run the ball twice with great results...yeah...let's run the risky reverse...rather than do what our OL has been training to do, well, since each individual got to Iowa. That may have been the absolute worst call in the history of Iowa Football. Even worse it was a guy who hasn't taken a hand off or pitch since high school...on the road in the B10 with the game on the line. Greg Davis deserves some serious criticism for that. Davis needs to stop being so cute and let the guys act like bullies...in that situation anyway.

The week before...sure...it may have made sense as we couldn't run it all day...but yesterday...come on...we should have been pounding all day long.

Jog my memory, but I don't remember playing Texas in the Outback Bowl? The only time we played Texas was in the Chuck Long era in the Freedom Bowl and then Texas Tech in the Alamo Bowl years later.

Jog my memory, but I don't remember playing Texas in the Outback Bowl? The only time we played Texas was in the Chuck Long era in the Freedom Bowl and then Texas Tech in the Alamo Bowl years later.
We played Texas in the Alamo Bowl. Should of beat them had TD nullified because Chandler not on line of scrimmage.

I'm just glad he didn't fumble it. Who knows when Scheel gets another chance if that happened.

The end around was a horrible play call period.

Absolutely agreed. Wrong time, wrong place. We were getting a push and getting 6-7 yards a carry...absolutely nonsensical

That said, I'd like to see a fly sweep or split end sweep and/or misdirection thrown in a few times a game.

Davis overthinks things...a lot.

I just don't get why we are so willing to run a play so many times that averages very few yards, but the plays that we do very well with (screen plays for example) we only run once or twice a game. Other teams spend a majority of their plays trying to get playmaker the ball in a position to make a play. Not iowa tho.

The reverse wasn’t a bad call to me. Has Iowa shown Scheel doing anything like that yet on tape? No and he was told no matter what stay in bounds which he did. The fact it went for next to no gain was irrelevant. It burned a few more seconds then running anything right up the gut for 1 yard would have. So no harm no foul there no reason to nitpick that.

What I am getting curious about is under what scenario will KF kick a field goal? Going for it in the first half on 4th and goal when it would have been somewhat of a chip shot seemed like a no brainer to me. It was 0-0 at the time and normally most teams elect to put points on the board. So is new Kirk just anti FGs all of a sudden or is it a lack of confidence in who they have? He’s been perfect on Extra points and the one fg he has made. To me that’s a head scratcher to me

You are correct, my mistake, Alamo instead of outback bowl

The reverse wasn’t a bad call to me. Has Iowa shown Scheel doing anything like that yet on tape? No and he was told no matter what stay in bounds which he did. The fact it went for next to no gain was irrelevant. It burned a few more seconds then running anything right up the gut for 1 yard would have. So no harm no foul there no reason to nitpick that.

What I am getting curious about is under what scenario will KF kick a field goal? Going for it in the first half on 4th and goal when it would have been somewhat of a chip shot seemed like a no brainer to me. It was 0-0 at the time and normally most teams elect to put points on the board. So is new Kirk just anti FGs all of a sudden or is it a lack of confidence in who they have? He’s been perfect on Extra points and the one fg he has made. To me that’s a head scratcher to me

Yeah, the hawk defense isn't giving up many points and it was near the end of the first half so kick the FG.

The kicker has one FG this season.

I am still digesting yesterday's game and whether the hawks played avg or not.

But I can't believe the play call the Rutgers Off Coord called on their last offensive play, the 4th and 2. They ran that sweep to the left. They had been for the most part getting 4 yards a carry up the gut on the hawks. I know the hawks did have some real good penetration the play before and on a few other critical short third and 4th downs. That was the last thing I was expecting. I expected the same up the gut with a QB option to keep. But thanks Rutgers.

Now the other interesting play call was the end around to Scheel on our last possession. The Dee stopped Rutgers and Daniels banged out a first down on 2 strong running plays. Then a couple yards on first down and what does Greg Davis dial up but an end around. Now this is the type of play where you can lose 5-8 yards. Leshun and Wadley had really been running well in the second half especially so to call that reverse was just weird.

I agree with other posters that we are not running the ball enough (witness the pass plays called after King's great kickoff return when Rutgers tied it up).

Anyway, I feel that Greg Davis had real good year playcalling last year but how many think he has reverted back to no rhyme or reason to his playcalling?
We don't know how many plays that CJ is changing at the LOS, but I agree that we have no 'rhythm' in our offense right now but if CJ is changing a lot of plays, it's hard to blame Davis.

I am not into defending or attacking a single call during a long game. But, I will remind you that I have seen many posts over the last couple of years saying, "Why don't we run some counter type action? The opposing defenses seem to flow immediately to the first motion, right or left." Kind of what we did here...

Latest posts