Twlight Zone: Iowa is the big guy, MSU is the little guy, and Izzo is still a rat game thread

I get a kick out of Iowa fans who constantly complain about the refs and about how unlucky the Hawks are. I would just like to point out how last night the refs decided to call the game very closely, and how dramatically that helped the Hawks. Also, I felt Iowa was very 'lucky' on 2 specific plays which raise rules issues that I have questions about:
1) late in the game the ball bounced off the top of the backboard on a 3 pt shot, came down and landed in Garza's hands for an easy putback layup. I thought the top of the backboard was considered out-of-bounds. Is it or isn't it?
2) also late in the game, an Iowa shot got wedged between the rim and the backboard and didn't move for at least 1 full second in real time. I waited for the refs to stop play and award an alternate possession, but they didn't, an Iowa player jumped up and freed the ball, which led to an Iowa tip-in. I've never seen that allowed in many decades of watching college bball. Why wasn't that play blown dead when the ball became lodged?
These plays resulted in 4 Iowa pts that proved pivotal.
I'll hang up and listen.

I wondered about those two plays also

Believe the zebra crew have us a break or two, as opposed to the Indiana and Illinois games

One referee last night was not taking any Shit from Izzo at all
Early in the first half, Izzo was crying in his ear, and the zebra just
put his hand on Izzo's arm and brushed him off, waving him away
Izzo stumbled back to the bench, and the ref continued on with the game

You can laugh all you want.....but if Iowa is as good as we want them to be, they need to take care of business. We have seen this act before. Again, I don't think they will go 7-0 (6-1), but they should. We were fortunate to get by last night. OSU will not be so kind if we play like we have the last 3 games.

Iowa has a ton of flaws and I’m all for pointing them out. That’s what this board is for. Unfortunately with 57 that’s all he’s been running on here, and I just like when Iowa shuts him up. I feel that’s ok too
I have been on this board a long time....and I have praised as well as pointed out the flaws. And, I will be here regardless of how good or bad things get.

I agree that doesn't make them any less of a fan. It's all about whether you're a positive or negative person with life in general. Of course negative people notice all of the negative parts of Iowa's game more than positive people.
The only problem is, since I'm being singled out here....is that I do point out the positives of this team. Have done it many, many times on this board through the years. To be called an ISU fan (yuck) or anything else is disappointing. I'm mean seriously.

I get a kick out of Iowa fans who constantly complain about the refs and about how unlucky the Hawks are. I would just like to point out how last night the refs decided to call the game very closely, and how dramatically that helped the Hawks. Also, I felt Iowa was very 'lucky' on 2 specific plays which raise rules issues that I have questions about:
1) late in the game the ball bounced off the top of the backboard on a 3 pt shot, came down and landed in Garza's hands for an easy putback layup. I thought the top of the backboard was considered out-of-bounds. Is it or isn't it?
2) also late in the game, an Iowa shot got wedged between the rim and the backboard and didn't move for at least 1 full second in real time. I waited for the refs to stop play and award an alternate possession, but they didn't, an Iowa player jumped up and freed the ball, which led to an Iowa tip-in. I've never seen that allowed in many decades of watching college bball. Why wasn't that play blown dead when the ball became lodged?
These plays resulted in 4 Iowa pts that proved pivotal.
I'll hang up and listen.
1. The sides and top of the backboard are in play if the ball touches it. The ball just can't go behind the backboard if it hits the top and be put back in play. 2. The refs missed the ball wedged in there I believe and it happened so fast they probably didn't see it. I think Izzo missed it as well because he would have lost his mind otherwise.

Then they are not a Top 5 team....and probably not a top 10 team either. 6-1 at worse case. They really should win the next 7 if we are the team we are cracked up to be.

BTW, we need to increase the margin of error as much as possible. I don't want to depend on other teams for positioning.
Baylor is probably the only team in the nation that has a really good chance at going 7-0 during that stretch. I'm guessing there may be only one other team (not named Gonzaga) that wins 7 straight the next 7, regardless of their schedule.

You are both extremely pessimistic with Iowa and set ridiculously high expectations. That's a strange combo.

It would be cool if someone did the leg work and made a thread listing the top 10 and their record right now. Then we can keep looking at the thread over the next 3-4 weeks and see how many teams win their next 7 games. Maybe even make a poll out of it, eliminating Gonzaga, to see how many of the top next 9 will win 7 straight. I vote one.

I have no idea if you’re an ISU fan. But I’m confident you’re not an Iowa fan. Thank goodness!
Well that is to bad you think that way. Look, I will take the high road here and apologize from whatever way I have some how crossed your fandom and the team we both support. And we both support this team.

But, this is a message board, we don't play for Iowa (at least I don't) so we are free to discuss. I have been watching Iowa for decades upon decades. I use humor and I'm not a sugar-coater.

Iowa's problem in both football and basketball is that they don't take advantage of the situations when they need to. It is the carrot dangling from the stick. For Pete's sake let's grab that damn carrot for once. It gets old seeing a team like Wisconsin (not this year as an example of course) do it time and time again.

We should be hard on them. We should be hard on Fran. Fran is in his 11 season at Iowa with his best team. They currently have a Top 10 ranking. They should be called out and "fake id" when they are not playing to that level.

Losing to Minnesota with a 7 point lead with such little time left was Lucy pulling the football away. Losing to a middling Indiana squad....at HOME....was Lucy pulling the football away. Struggling with weakest version of MSU in some time is concerning.

Illinois was a good effort loss. Gonzaga showed Iowa was not at their level at that time.

MJ was a prick, but he was hard on his Bulls teammates because he wanted to be the best. No one for sure really knows what is going on in the Iowa locker room, but we do know they read social media. We know that some of them have thin-skin. We know an opposing coach not to long ago said they lack mental toughness....and that has been a problem in the program. I think it is still a problem.

I don't know, but personally I appreciate an honest assessment. Not kissing ass. And, if they do read this stuff (actually I hope they don't and spend far less time on social media and hitting the books, practicing, and spending time with their loved ones) that if they do come across stuff it can help motivate them.

But, I don't post for their sake, I post because I share a common theme with all of you. A love for the Hawkeyes. Born a Hawkeye and raised a Hawkeye. Always a Hawkeye and I believe the program will always be greater then one coach or individual player (not that those entities can't go along way to shaping how the program turns out).

Another thing (remember we are fans so we can look at things far out) to say well, I think the Big Ten Champion is going to have 5-6 losses. That may be true, but to have that mentality and say well oh geez it will be ok because Michigan is going to lose X amount of games. I don't want to depend on another team losing games for us to win the regular season because we are stumbling here and there. We need to take care of business.

Last edited:
Baylor is probably the only team in the nation that has a really good chance at going 7-0 during that stretch. I'm guessing there may be only one other team (not named Gonzaga) that wins 7 straight the next 7, regardless of their schedule.

You are both extremely pessimistic with Iowa and set ridiculously high expectations. That's a strange combo.
I would call it being a realist. High Expectations should be warranted.....in year what for Fran.....and his best team. If they don't get it done this year (with the best freaking player in the country) then when?

I would call it being a realist. High Expectations should be warranted.....in year what for Fran.....and his best team. If they don't get it done this year (with the best freaking player in the country) then when?
It's just weird that Iowa fans long for being a top 10 team. We finally are and you are not happy because we aren't good enough to separate ourselves from the other top 10 teams. A realist is someone who recognizes reality. Saying a top 10 team should win 8 games in a row is not reality. Now if you want to say a top 10 team has a pretty decent chance to win 8 games in a row, that could make sense. But to act like winning these next 7 should be a foregone conclusion for a top 10 team is about as far from being a realist as it gets.

It's just weird that Iowa fans long for being a top 10 team. We finally are and you are not happy because we aren't good enough to separate ourselves from the other top 10 teams. A realist is someone who recognizes reality. Saying a top 10 team should win 8 games in a row is not reality. Now if you want to say a top 10 team has a pretty decent chance to win 8 games in a row, that could make sense. But to act like winning these next 7 should be a foregone conclusion for a top 10 team is about as far from being a realist as it gets.
Well, I did say they could be 6-1 as well to be fair. Really, keeping it real, Iowa would not be in the Top 10 right now if they did not back into with all the other ranked teams losing behind them.

If we are as good as we think we are, we should be 6-1 or 7-0 coming out of that stretch.

Correction.....I see Ohio St would be a part of the that 7 game stretch. I was off by 1 game. My apologies.

At Ohio St, @ Michigan, home vs Wisconsin is part of the last 3 game stretch I was thinking of.

So, really what I was looking at is the next 6 games.

I think Iowa needs to be, should be 6-0 coming out of that stretch. Yes, that even includes tomorrow night at home with OSU. I don't think they will, but I think a team with our billing should be able to manage that.

I think Iowa will possibly lose 2 of 3 to end the season.

So, to be clear, I think it would be highly unlikely they go 7-0, but I do think 6-1 is the acceptable mark for our billing. Again, I don't think we live up to that billing, but I hope I'm wrong.

But the next 6 games, a Top 10 team should run that.
@Indiana
home Rutgers
@ Michigan St
home Wisconsin
home Penn St

So, you may ask 56, where do you think Iowa loses here because you have them at 13-7? Well, first I think they will lose @OSU and @Michigan. I think Iowa will lose a couple more either @Indiana, @Michigan ST, or home Wisconsin.

Last edited:
Well that is to bad you think that way. Look, I will take the high road here and apologize from whatever way I have some how crossed your fandom and the team we both support. And we both support this team.

But, this is a message board, we don't play for Iowa (at least I don't) so we are free to discuss. I have been watching Iowa for decades upon decades. I use humor and I'm not a sugar-coater.

Iowa's problem in both football and basketball is that they don't take advantage of the situations when they need to. It is the carrot dangling from the stick. For Pete's sake let's grab that damn carrot for once. It gets old seeing a team like Wisconsin (not this year as an example of course) do it time and time again.

We should be hard on them. We should be hard on Fran. Fran is in his 11 season at Iowa with his best team. They currently have a Top 10 ranking. They should be called out and "fake id" when they are not playing to that level.

Losing to Minnesota with a 7 point lead with such little time left was Lucy pulling the football away. Losing to a middling Indiana squad....at HOME....was Lucy pulling the football away. Struggling with weakest version of MSU in some time is concerning.

Illinois was a good effort loss. Gonzaga showed Iowa was not at their level at that time.

MJ was a prick, but he was hard on his Bulls teammates because he wanted to be the best. No one for sure really knows what is going on in the Iowa locker room, but we do know they read social media. We know that some of them have thin-skin. We know an opposing coach not to long ago said they lack mental toughness....and that has been a problem in the program. I think it is still a problem.

I don't know, but personally I appreciate an honest assessment. Not kissing ass. And, if they do read this stuff (actually I hope they don't and spend far less time on social media and hitting the books, practicing, and spending time with their loved ones) that if they do come across stuff it can help motivate them.

But, I don't post for their sake, I post because I share a common theme with all of you. A love for the Hawkeyes. Born a Hawkeye and raised a Hawkeye. Always a Hawkeye and I believe the program will always be greater then one coach or individual player (not that those entities can't go along way to shaping how the program turns out).

Another thing (remember we are fans so we can look at things far out) to say well, I think the Big Ten Champion is going to have 5-6 losses. That may be true, but to have that mentality and say well oh geez it will be ok because Michigan is going to lose X amount of games. I don't want to depend on another team losing games for us to win the regular season because we are stumbling here and there. We need to take care of business.
You call it keeping it real, I call it pretty clueless about the sport. 7-0 vs that stretch is seriously where you showed that you are just trolling and that's ok. You do you. I still enjoy it, so keep it up. Posters like you are pretty much the only reason I come to this board.

You call it keeping it real, I call it pretty clueless about the sport. 7-0 vs that stretch is seriously where you showed that you are just trolling and that's ok. You do you. I still enjoy it, so keep it up. Posters like you are pretty much the only reason I come to this board.
See, a later post. My apologies......I miscounted....@OSU was a part of my 3 games stretch to end the year.

So, I'm really looking at the next 6 games. I think Iowa should be and needs to be 6-0 in that stretch.

I think Iowa will finish 1-2 in their last 3 games. So, no, I do not think Iowa should be expected to go 7-0 in that stretch (although it would be real nice, real nice). I think Iowa will go 4-3 in the next seven because they will Fran it. I hope I'm wrong.

Well, I did say they could be 6-1 as well to be fair. Really, keeping it real, Iowa would not be in the Top 10 right now if they did not back into with all the other ranked teams losing behind them.

If we are as good as we think we are, we should be 6-1 or 7-0 coming out of that stretch.

Correction.....I see Ohio St would be a part of the that 7 game stretch. I was off by 1 game. My apologies.

At Ohio St, @ Michigan, home vs Wisconsin is part of the last 3 game stretch I was thinking of.

So, really what I was looking at is the next 6 games.

I think Iowa needs to be, should be 6-0 coming out of that stretch. Yes, that even includes tomorrow night at home with OSU. I don't think they will, but I think a team with our billing should be able to manage that.

I think Iowa will possibly lose 2 of 3 to end the season.

So, to be clear, I think it would be highly unlikely they go 7-0, but I do think 6-1 is the acceptable mark for our billing. Again, I don't think we live up to that billing, but I hope I'm wrong.

But the next 6 games, a Top 10 team should run that.
@Indiana
home Rutgers
@ Michigan St
home Wisconsin
home Penn St

So, you may ask 56, where do you think Iowa loses here because you have them at 13-7? Well, first I think they will lose @OSU and @Michigan. I think Iowa will lose a couple more either @Indiana, @Michigan ST, or home Wisconsin.
If we lose 2 games out of the next 6, we almost certainly won't be in the top 10. Even if we are, with the tough ending it will be even less likely we end up there. I think if we go 6-1, we will probably end the year in the top 10. As long as we stay in the top 15, we are in pretty good shape for the tournament. Really it seems like the only difference between us is our opinions on how easy it is for a top 10 team to lose. This is basketball, it happens all the time. There's no such thing as "a good team would never lose that game" in basketball.

If we lose 2 games out of the next 6, we almost certainly won't be in the top 10. Even if we are, with the tough ending it will be even less likely we end up there. I think if we go 6-1, we will probably end the year in the top 10. As long as we stay in the top 15, we are in pretty good shape for the tournament. Really it seems like the only difference between us is our opinions on how easy it is for a top 10 team to lose. This is basketball, it happens all the time. There's no such thing as "a good team would never lose that game" in basketball.
Oh, I know a Top 10 team can be upset. Happens all the time. My grips is that Iowa needs to take the bull by the horns and win a fucking title in basketball (regular season). LOL Then gear up for the NCAAs and hopefully a memorable run (Sweet 16 or better, but I wonder if it will still feel a little hollow if they don't get to the Elite 8).

Oh, I know a Top 10 team can be upset. Happens all the time. My grips is that Iowa needs to take the bull by the horns and win a fucking title in basketball (regular season). LOL Then gear up for the NCAAs and hopefully a memorable run (Sweet 16 or better, but I wonder if it will still feel a little hollow if they don't get to the Elite 8).
Trust me, when this season ends it not going to feel like enough. There's only one way to prevent that feeling and those odds are not in our favor.

Trust me, when this season ends it not going to feel like enough. There's only one way to prevent that feeling and those odds are not in our favor.
A Sweet 16 should be considered one of Iowa's better seasons historically. I think that is reasonable though. Really, for any team...you get there you are at least good and proving yourself worthy on a National Scale.