Twitter update from Jeff Goodman of Fox Sports on Who has Interviewed

He's had the all time winningest seasons for two different schools, he averages over 70 points a game, served as an assistant coach at Texas A&M and Cal.

Not an awful resume.

We'd be better off without you if you're going to judge a coach that you have no information strictly by the school in which he coaches.

Why don't you ask Vandy how good of a coach Billy Kennedy is

And Butler for that matter

Yes, he had a good year this year, but what about the rest of his career? How should I judge him? He is 188-170 at the mid-major level, outstanding.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Kennedy_(basketball_coach)

He's had the all time winningest seasons for two different schools, he averages over 70 points a game, served as an assistant coach at Texas A&M and Cal.

Not an awful resume.

Well these guys haven't heard of him, so he can not be anything of a coach

assets-images-gawker-2008-07-lowered-expectations.jpg

Ugh how many times do I have to say this...just because you are a GREAT coach doesn't mean you will win at this level...it's not all about the X's and O's and I want a coach that knows this and has connections at this level...and that coach is Either Gregory or Forbes.

If our next coach is not one of those two (or an obvious, albeit unrealistic one, such as Pearl, Lavin, etc.)...we're in DEEP trouble.

What a joke list from top to bottom.

Just hire Forbes already and consider it done. He will cost less and wants the job. I'm not a major fan but he's better than the rest of those coaches.

Yes, he had a good year this year, but what about the rest of his career? How should I judge him? He is 188-170 at the mid-major level, outstanding.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Kennedy_(basketball_coach)

Look at the teams he has taken over. The record being near .500 is not all his fault.

Took over SE Louisiana at 10-17. His last year there he was 24-9.

Took over Murray State at 16-14. This year he was 31-5.

Not all the years in between have been spectacular but he has left all 3 programs (well he hasn't left MSU) in much better shape than when he took over. We all know this isn't going to be a destination job, so isn't that what we are asking for, is to build this thing back up? He's got a history of doing so.

If these really and truly are the ONLY candidates we have interviewed, then I have grave concerns about who is running this coaching search. My only anwser to that would be that Barta had better have some definitely interest from someone who's still coaching and/or yet to interview, if we are passing on interviews for guys like Tony Barbee.

What is the big deal with interviewing coaches? Barta has to get this right, he can take another week if he wants to. The longer this takes the better off we will be.

What is the big deal with interviewing coaches? Barta has to get this right, he can take another week if he wants to. The longer this takes the better off we will be.

I dont know about that. You can give a chimpanzee all the time in the world with a brush and he will never paint you a Picaso.
Just sayin.

If these guys really were interviewed, I wonder what Bobby Hansen's input was...if any. Did he approve? Or did he object but was ignored?

The problem with these coaches is the timing. Maybe 3 years ago would have been a good time for a no-name mid major coach to come to Iowa. But with a rapidly dwindling fan base, we need a shot of life. Billy Kennedy does not bring that. We need a coach that brings immediate excitement back to the fan base and increases attendance. We cannot afford another mid major hire that takes 3-5 years to build a system. That's what I feel we would get from these guys, and so then why did we fire Lick? I'd say bring in Forbes, it's a destination job for him, he will work his butt off and Iowa fans will be proud of the team.

I'm not commenting on the search as a whole, and for that matter we don't know if the list is accurate. However, standing alone the list of the three we're supposed to have interviewed is absolutely abysmal.

If it were true that we're unwilling to interview assistants, in light of that list such an attitude would seem downright bizarre.

Latest posts