Twilight Zone at RB

Lets take coker out, we dont want him getting too many yards...injuries could happen to anyone at any time, Coker has proved hes pretty durable, why take him out...

Coker leads the Big Ten in carries, rushing yards and rushing average (he ranks sixth nationally). ... He has six 100-yard rushing performances this season. His 12 rushing touchdowns tie for the fourth-highest single-season total in team history ... Coker ranks second in the Big Ten and 41st nationally in all-purpose yards (132.8 ypg). ... His 252 rushing yards yards in an Oct. 22 game at Minnesota ranks as third best single-game total in school history. ... He's one of only four backs in Iowa history to record multiple 200-yard rushing performances. ... Coker has eclipsed 120 rush yards and scored two touchdowns in each of his last four games, all against Big Ten opponents. He has also recorded six runs of 25 yards or more and three of 41 yards or more.

That being said, it would be nice to be able to put McCall in the game for a few carries just to give Coker a rest.

and they will get him in, but why such the urgency and calling to have him in....such backwards thinking after all the great stats you just pointed out...

breaking down the stats;

Rushing Attempts PG Total plays PG Cokers Attempt PG Game
33 59 11 TT
43 72 35 ISU
33 81 23 PITT
34 67 18 LMU
46 64 18 PSU
28 50 22 NW
42 58 23 IND
42 66 32 MINN
35 56 29 MICH

by looking at those stats, it is very difficult to find a way to get a 2nd RB carries, and it also shows that Coker is not being over worked,next thing you are going to say the backup QB deserves throws

Its not about who the better back is. Some people think a fresh coker in the 4th quarter would run over defenses. Using a 2nd back here and there for the 1st 3 quarters would keep coker fresh late in the game. Then in the 4th quarter in a close game u leave him in and let him finish the game. I think that's all people are wanting

and they will get him in, but why such the urgency and calling to have him in....such backwards thinking after all the great stats you just pointed out...

I didn't think there was any urgency in my post. I simply said it would be nice to get him in for a few carries. Hardly sounds urgent to me. Urgent would be more like "We need to get him in right now, I don't care if the game isn't until saturday, get him in the game now!!!"

Its not about who the better back is. Some people think a fresh coker in the 4th quarter would run over defenses. Using a 2nd back here and there for the 1st 3 quarters would keep coker fresh late in the game. Then in the 4th quarter in a close game u leave him in and let him finish the game. I think that's all people are wanting
This, and it's also about getting other guys experience. Running backs get hurt and banged up, so if he does, it'd be nice to have someone else with game experience to throw in there. That being said, I guess I can see why Kirk is having a hard time taking him out; with most of the games being as close as they are.

by looking at the rushing attemps stats per game, and compare them to how many Coker got , when and how was the staff going to put someone else in, again its not like Coker has 35-40 carries a game, and the team is running the ball 55 or more times a game, you use the best you have when you get the chance, one more note Coker is averaging 23.4 carries a game. Icannot see how or where you take carries from him, or maybe you want to go the Georgia Tech route and simply run the ball

Its tough to put him in a close game after he has been out of the lineup for three months. He may be rusty and production is needed on every play in close matchups.

Its tough to put him in a close game after he has been out of the lineup for three months. He may be rusty and production is needed on every play in close matchups.

^this, and....why do we all know that McCall is deserving of carries from Coker? Yeah, he had a nice couple carries in 1 game at the start of the season but maybe the coaches who see Coker and McCall every day know that Coker should be getting the carries he is. WHy do we all know that McCall should be getting carries?

PS: I DO think he may be a good back for us, but im not taking carries from Coker unless I have to....he's earned his carries....

^this, and....why do we all know that McCall is deserving of carries from Coker? Yeah, he had a nice couple carries in 1 game at the start of the season but maybe the coaches who see Coker and McCall every day know that Coker should be getting the carries he is. WHy do we all know that McCall should be getting carries?

PS: I DO think he may be a good back for us, but im not taking carries from Coker unless I have to....he's earned his carries....

ferentz said he deserved carries. He basically said it was his fault for not playing him and he needs to get over it

yeah yeah, i know. i think we bench coker. start mccall. he deserves it. he is our best rb.

The funny thing is that is not at all what we are saying. Coker, the coaches, and the players all saw something special in McCall in the Spring. We NEED a 2nd RB. Absolutely need one. Every team has one. McCall, IMO, could be a starting RB for this team. But we have an even better one, so he doesn't need to be. But to get him carries to spell Coker and keep him fresh throughout the game and year, would be very helpful. To think otherwise is foolish. Even Ferentz sees that. Not sure why you can't.

Its tough to put in a second running back when the game is close. Maybe a early game shot will be better. Then you see how much rust he has on him.

Latest posts