Tucker's scholly BETTER go to a JUCO guard!

HawkeyeRyno

Banned
I'm not blaming Lick for Tucker's transfer, however, If Lick does nothing with his open scholarship would be UNACCEPTABLE at this point!! Next year is year FOUR and we should not be at a point where all we have at guard ONCE AGAIN is a freshman (Brust) and sophomore (Payne) plus a walk-on (Lick) to carry this team!! Lick needs...better go get a JUCO guard with EXPERIENCE to help burden the load. If we depend on Lil' Lick for relief it is clear Todd is clueless when it comes to needs and IMO would be the writing on the wall that he is gone after next year. Payne is good and Brust looks great (in high school) but to depend on a freshman, sophomore and walk-on for our guards by year four is just not acceptable at this point!

Thoughts?

Last edited:
The question is: Is there a quality guard available that would be worth putting two years into, or would it the scholarship be better served left alone and used in the next recruiting class, in which there is only one (maybe 2) open scholarships?

I'm not blaming Lick for Tucker's transfer, however, If Lick does nothing with his open scholarship would be UNACCEPTABLE at this point!! Next year is year FOUR and we should not be at a point where all we have at guard ONCE AGAIN is a freshman (Brust) and sophomore (Payne) plus a walk-on (Lick) to carry this team!! Lick needs...better go get a JUCO guard with EXPERIENCE to help burden the load. If we depend on Lil' Lick for relief it is clear Todd is clueless when it comes to needs and IMO would be the writing on the wall that he is gone after next year. Payne is good and Brust looks great (in high school) but to depend on a freshman, sophomore and walk-on for our guards by year four is just not acceptable at this point!

Thoughts?

Yeah my only thought is it seems you're already ****** off about a scholarship not going to a hypothetical player.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that they probably have a contingency plan set up.....
________
ZOLOFT LAWSUIT

Last edited:

Thoughts?

I think anyone who suggests a division I basketball coach is clueless, or that there is only one possible course of action is not to be taken seriously.

I'd love to see us add a QUALITY Juco PG as well, but if there is not a fit out there I would rather see the schollie banked than used on someone who isn't a good fit.

I looked up the top players on JucoJunction and it seems Lavell Jordan is recruiting Remy Abell. He is a 6-foot-4 shooting guard out of Louisville.

They are also after a 5-foot-9 point guard named Patrick Lucas-Perry, a 6-foot-7 small forward Ross Travis and 6-foot-9 power forward Mitch McGary.

And Lil' Lick IS NOT an option to get the scholarship!!! Can you even imagine if that happens?!

If he does nothing and we do end up having Brust and Payne (and Lil' Lick) I just don't see a vast improvement next season. The guard position is so key! Next year is do or die for him and this Tucker situation is NOT on Lick but solving the problem he has left IS on Lick. Fair or unfairly, what Lick does from here is going say a lot about what we can expect next season.

I looked up the top players on JucoJunction and it seems Lavell Jordan is recruiting Remy Abell. He is a 6-foot-4 shooting guard out of Louisville.

They are also after a 5-foot-9 point guard named Patrick Lucas-Perry, a 6-foot-7 small forward Ross Travis and 6-foot-9 power forward Mitch McGary.

Lucas-Perry??? Why does that name sound familiar? Isn't there a player with same last name playing in Big Ten currently??

I'd love to see us add a QUALITY Juco PG as well, but if there is not a fit out there I would rather see the schollie banked than used on someone who isn't a good fit.

This. If you can't find a good player to use the scholarship on, bank it until you can. The last thing I want to see is a wasted scholarship.

I would rather have a true post player at the center poistion. Someone to block shots, rebound and get garbage points.

I dont see Lick going after a Juco because it would take too long to learn the system.
I think Lick will invest in a 4 year guy.I would Love to see him bring in a Juco but I think he will stick to what he feels is best for his system.
JMO

This. If you can't find a good player to use the scholarship on, bank it until you can. The last thing I want to see is a wasted scholarship.

That approach would be fine if your Bo Ryan and already established. However, if next year is make or break in terms of real improvement in the Ws column, what happens if Cully goes down? I think you need to get a backup PG for 2010. There are players out there and now you have 2 months before signing day to get one. Kaylon Williams is the most obvious although I am not sure with his previous history of losing control of his emotions if he would be the best fit for Lick personality wise.

Williams is averaging 11.8 points and 7.1 assists so you can't say he is not a team first player on the court. He would give you good size at the PG position which can also help against certain matchups. A very contrasting game to Payne which I think would give good balance. It is just whether the off the court stuff is behind him.

Iowa needs bodies now at the guard spot with Tucker leaving.

Banking it won't help... unless the 2011 PG is a program changer.

I dont see Lick going after a Juco because it would take too long to learn the system.
I think Lick will invest in a 4 year guy.I would Love to see him bring in a Juco but I think he will stick to what he feels is best for his system.
JMO

I still don't buy the fact that it takes 2+ years to "learn the system". It's basketball we're talking about, not nuclear engineering.

That said, I just want to see the open scholarship go to the best player we can get with it, and hopefully that helps fill our needs - either a quality PG or a big man.

Last edited:
That approach would be fine if your Bo Ryan and already established. However, if next year is make or break in terms of real improvement in the Ws column, what happens if Cully goes down? I think you need to get a backup PG for 2010. There are players out there and now you have 2 months before signing day to get one. Kaylon Williams is the most obvious although I am not sure with his previous history of losing control of his emotions if he would be the best fit for Lick personality wise.

Williams is averaging 11.8 points and 7.1 assists so you can't say he is not a team first player on the court. He would give you good size at the PG position which can also help against certain matchups. A very contrasting game to Payne which I think would give good balance. It is just whether the off the court stuff is behind him.

I agree with what you're saying, but what happens if it ends up like last year where Lickliter can't entice a quality PG? What does it accomplish to spend the scholarship on just anybody who will take it, simply for the sake of getting a warm body in a Hawkeye jersey? I guess it all comes down to recruiting ability. If Lickliter is going to be able to recruit the talent necessary to win, then he should be able to find somebody suitable from the JUCO ranks. But after what happened last year when Lick tried to land a JUCO PG, I'm not sure how it will turn out.

Williams does seem like a good option that can dish out assists. Definitely something we could use.

1977...that is why I feel this scholarship is so important. A big test for the Lick era. It is pretty obvious now that the coaches have known they had another scholarship as they have been recruiting since the Tucker incident. Reading between the lines on Lick's quotes on Tucker he probably knew this was coming.

I think the staff has to find somebody to contribute at the PG. I am not asking for an all Big Ten player. Just somebody to give some quality backup minutes and compete with Cully. If they don't than I think they are again putting all their eggs in one basket.

I think Cully will be a good player but being honest our overall PG play is easily the worst in the Big Ten this year.

Iowa needs bodies now at the guard spot with Tucker leaving.

Banking it won't help... unless the 2011 PG is a program changer.

Exactly. It would be a mistake of epic proportions to bank this scholly. There are players out there at PG that can help us next season. Our staff needs to work their butt off and go out and haul one in. This is an absolute must for next season.

You guys might think I'm sounding overly dramatic. But I really think Lick's future rests solely on this scholly. He doesn't need a program changer. But he needs a true PG. He has a chance to turn a negative situation into a positive(regarding Tuck). He needs to deliver.