True Freshman who might play next year

nickhawk

The most probable candidates:

Andrew Donnal - we need depth at O-Line and he is a 4 star recruit who might crack the 2 deep next fall

James Morris / Jim Poggi - I think both of these guys are good enough athletes to warrant some time on special teams and maybe even see some time at LB.

CJ Fed - Reisner will definitely start at TE, but this guy could prove to be too good to keep on the sidelines. With his size and speed, I think he has a realistic shot to see the field next fall

Derby - Depending on whether or not he is open to playing some time at Safety or possibly LB, I think he could see some playing time, especially on special teams.

Of the players you listed, I only see CJ as having a real shot. Donnal needs to redshirt. Derby will spend the first year at least trying the QB road. Other freshmen I could see having a shot are the safety Shumpert since Cato is leaving and the CB Lowery since we're a little thin there. Coker could surprise but I think it's best if we can redshirt him for future depth.

Derby is coming to Iowa to play QB.

Yeah, well so was Marvin McNutt in the beginning.

Things might evolve there. And back to guys that might be on the field in 2010. Probably, CJ, James Morris, maybe Pogge on special teams.

It's a good thing though, that these young guys don't have to go thrown right into the fire, but watch out in 2011. This is a very promising recruiting class, imho.

I'd scratch Donnal and Derby from the list.

Anyhow, here's my list:

- CJ Fiedorowicz is one of the biggest no-brainers. Proven depth at TE is minimal post Reisner ... so Feidorowicz will have a great shot to make a splash.

- Morris is also a fairly likely candidate. We have a lot of upperclassmen LBs and we're going to need to get young guys ready to step up in 2011 ... consequently, AT LEAST one TR FR LB will get the nod. My bets are on Morris.

- Lowery is a guy that has seemingly been flying under the radar of a lot of fans. Given that we'll be having 3 JRs CBs next year, we're going to be needing another guy to be able to join Hyde is providing us with great depth. I'm not saying that Lowery will necessarily be earning positional reps right away ... however, my bet is that he'll be able to make an early splash on special teams.

- Shumpert or Hitchens are going to get a chance to see some action at safety (in addition to action on special teams). Considering all of the attrition that we have had to contend with at safety, we're going to need guys who have experience and are able to step in if the starters go down. To that end, developing depth at safety will be VERY important!

Lastly, I think that a TR FR might have a shot to see some early action at DE or LEO LB given that we're not terribly deep at those spots.

The most probable candidates:

Andrew Donnal - we need depth at O-Line and he is a 4 star recruit who might crack the 2 deep next fall

James Morris / Jim Poggi - I think both of these guys are good enough athletes to warrant some time on special teams and maybe even see some time at LB.

CJ Fed - Reisner will definitely start at TE, but this guy could prove to be too good to keep on the sidelines. With his size and speed, I think he has a realistic shot to see the field next fall

Derby - Depending on whether or not he is open to playing some time at Safety or possibly LB, I think he could see some playing time, especially on special teams.

CJ said donnal needs to beef up a bit in one of those AA game video clips. very hard for an interior player to play right out of the chute, let alone a guy who needs to gain some strength.

HaydensHawk, why don't you explain your statement? You obviously have vast knowledge of each of these players. Tell me why you don't think CJ can see the field. Most analysts say he could probably play on sundays right now. There are others that I think will see the field as well.

It really does seem like CJ is the one that has a chance to play regular minutes.

If anyone else plays beyond special teams, unless it is Coker just because he proves to be too good to keep off the field, it will be a bad sign for the Hawks.

I don't think its a bad sign if a few of these recruits play meaningful minutes as a backup or because of talent. I think we have been seasoning players a little more over the last 3 years.

Iowa has played a number of true freshmen over the past few years and I doubt next year will be any different. I cannot say who they will be, but I am willing to bet good money that at least four play.

HaydensHawk, why don't you explain your statement? You obviously have vast knowledge of each of these players. Tell me why you don't think CJ can see the field. Most analysts say he could probably play on sundays right now. There are others that I think will see the field as well.

You don't have to be a jerk about it - just giving my opinion. I am not knocking any of these guys - I just really don't see any holes that need to be filled this year by true freshmen - that is all. CJ will probably be a star, but Alan Reisner and probably JD Griggs will be playing this year not so much for CJ. I could be wrong - who knows. Some other guys might make special teams, but Ferentz really doesn't play true Freshmen very often unless they are really special or there is a substantial need. Still don't know why he didn't redshirt Keenan Davis this year. He didn't utilize him much at all.

Most analyst say he can probably play on Sundays right now? Haven't heard that one yet. Might be a stretch to say that at this point.

I'd scratch Donnal and Derby from the list.

Lastly, I think that a TR FR might have a shot to see some early action at DE or LEO LB given that we're not terribly deep at those spots.

Presumably, if a frosh plays this fall at DE it would be Louis Trinca-Pasat, as he has already enrolled in school and will go through spring practices.

Still don't know why he didn't redshirt Keenan Davis this year. He didn't utilize him much at all.

Wide receivers block on running plays. In fact, wide receivers blocks are often the difference between 8 yard runs and touchdowns. Davis was getting valuable experience at one of the most important things that receivers do. Additionally, even though he was seldom, if ever, the primary target on pass plays, he learned loads about how our coaches want him to run pass routes. So, I wouldn't say that we didn't utilize him much at all. I would say that the foundation was laid for him to be a key member of our receiving corp in 2010 and beyond.

Most analyst say he can probably play on Sundays right now? Haven't heard that one yet. Might be a stretch to say that at this point.

I'd have to say I'd agree with this. He might have pro-style size already, but he's still taking AP Chemistry and finishing his homework in study hall...saying he's ready for Sunday is a BIG stretch at this point.

To the Keenan Davis point...I sure hope we didn't burn his redshirt so he could learn the fine art of blocking. While game reps can't quite be simulated in practice, the importance of blocking can be stressed during that time, and when you've got a guy who is as athletically gifted as Davis is, I wish we would have either gone "all in" or "all out" with him. Either play him and make him a more integral part of the offense or redshirt him and give the other guys his game reps. We seemed to be stuck in the middle this year.

Having said that, I'm not sure that we could have gone through the year without him. We COULD have put someone else back on kickoff/punt returns...we COULD have put in Ben Evans/Don Nordmann as the #3/#4/#5 WR (depending on formation and substitution pattern) after both Chaney and Sandeman were hurt...but Davis played this year because he was a better option already in his career than those guys were.

Stretch is an understatement and completely false. NO high school kid is ready for the NFL, especially not a position that REQUIRES solid blocking.

We have some very capable TE's right now, that is a good thing.

hawkfan2679 -

Of course, contrary to what you say, that's exactly what Michigan fans have repeatedly stated is how Soup tends to use his personnel. He "breaks in" the young talent by getting them quality reps ... having them learn about blocking, running routes, and beating jams ... all the while NOT being the primary look. Then, if the guys puts in the work and masters what Soup has taught him ... then he starts getting increasingly many primary looks. Lastly, if the guy makes the most of those looks ... then the guy becomes "THE GUY."

Lastly, on the scout site, somebody has claimed that Keenan has been having some of his own struggles with the books. Thus, that could be another reason why he started seeing fewer reps. It's hard for a guy to be an impact player if he doesn't do well enough in the classroom to remain on the squad.

Anyhow, I certainly hope that such a rumor isn't true. I'd much rather have the former be true than the latter.

I'd have to say I'd agree with this. He might have pro-style size already, but he's still taking AP Chemistry and finishing his homework in study hall...saying he's ready for Sunday is a BIG stretch at this point.

To the Keenan Davis point...I sure hope we didn't burn his redshirt so he could learn the fine art of blocking. While game reps can't quite be simulated in practice, the importance of blocking can be stressed during that time, and when you've got a guy who is as athletically gifted as Davis is, I wish we would have either gone "all in" or "all out" with him. Either play him and make him a more integral part of the offense or redshirt him and give the other guys his game reps. We seemed to be stuck in the middle this year.

Having said that, I'm not sure that we could have gone through the year without him. We COULD have put someone else back on kickoff/punt returns...we COULD have put in Ben Evans/Don Nordmann as the #3/#4/#5 WR (depending on formation and substitution pattern) after both Chaney and Sandeman were hurt...but Davis played this year because he was a better option already in his career than those guys were.

Presumably, if a frosh plays this fall at DE it would be Louis Trinca-Pasat, as he has already enrolled in school and will go through spring practices.

LTP would certainly be a guy who possible gets a little bit of a "head start." However, that said, if I recall correctly, his background is more at LB ... thus, moving to DE might be a bit of a "transition" for him. Guys like Donavan Johnson and Carl Davis might be a bit more "natural" at the DE spot ... and could potentially vie for a backup spot right away.

Of course, contrary to what you say, that's exactly what Michigan fans have repeatedly stated is how Soup tends to use his personnel. He "breaks in" the young talent by getting them quality reps ... having them learn about blocking, running routes, and beating jams ... all the while NOT being the primary look. Then, if the guys puts in the work and masters what Soup has taught him ... then he starts getting increasingly many primary looks. Lastly, if the guy makes the most of those looks ... then the guy becomes "THE GUY."

I wasn't aware of Coach Campbell's process in all this; it seems like you should be able to do those things and practice, and depending on how that looks will determine how much playing time a guy gets on the field. But that's just me...and I certainly have no room to argue with his results.

On the scout site, somebody has claimed that Keenan has been having some of his own struggles with the books. Thus, that could be another reason why he started seeing fewer reps. It's hard for a guy to be an impact player if he doesn't do well enough in the classroom to remain on the squad.

Anyhow, I certainly hope that such a rumor isn't true. I'd much rather have the former be true than the latter.

This I did not realize either...if that's the case, that presents a different problem in and of itself. There's a reason they are called STUDENT-athletes...you have to take care of the books first!

Latest posts