Trey Dickerson

HawkWT

Is the silver lining from tonight's game. He was able to finish at full speed and slow it down a bit and get a couple assists. Hopefully, he can progress from here.

Is the silver lining from tonight's game. He was able to finish at full speed and slow it down a bit and get a couple assists. Hopefully, he can progress from here.

He needs to play going ahead. we need quickness at point guard so desperately, i hope he gets more minutes as the season progresses

I thought Uhl looked really good in the first half. He looked equally as bad in the second though.

I wish Fran would have had a longer leash with Dickerson though. If he could have played through his mistakes he might not be making them as much right now. It's pretty obvious that he is trying to hard to do good because he knows he's going to get limited time. Dude is just SO much quicker than our other guards.

I thought Uhl looked really good in the first half. He looked equally as bad in the second though.

I wish Fran would have had a longer leash with Dickerson though. If he could have played through his mistakes he might not be making them as much right now. It's pretty obvious that he is trying to hard to do good because he knows he's going to get limited time. Dude is just SO much quicker than our other guards.

He is probably quicker than most of the guards in the country. But, until tonight he predominantly threw up ugly layups after blowing by his defender and sempt to have tunnel vision, missing open teammates after drawing off their defender on the drive (he was used to being 'the man' last year).
Tonight he finished and had 2 dimes. I just hope it's progress and not a flash in the pan... plus he still has a long ways to go on defense.

Sometimes games like these provide a chance to play some other guys. I thought Trey looked really good tonight and showed some amazing explosiveness at times that we do not have. It was nice to see him knock down a couple of open threes as well.

I still wonder at times if we would have been better off allowing him play through some mistakes early in the season. The issue has always been you cannot have 3 PG's but he is the one that provides something different.

I thought Uhl had some flashes too.

For not playing since, when, November, and on the Wisky home court, I think he did OK. More than OK.

The bad-gers have no answer for him. He should get some more minutes in Iowa's revenge game against them next week. I want to see Iowa smash the bad-gers next time, and he can help.

The main thing I like about Trey is the kid can get to the basket anytime he wants. He might have one of the quicker first steps in the country. Rest of his game is very shaky. I still don't like his shooting form. He still has a ways to go in running the offense under control, but I liked what I saw out of his minutes last night. He's attempting to pull it back and stay under control. He's been a good teammate sitting on the bench and getting no playing time cheering on the team and was ready to go mentally last night when Fran put him in. By no means is Trey ready to be handed the reigns of the team but he needs to be getting some minutes on a regular basis.

Dickerson deserves some credit, he looked he has been working in practice to get better. His shot still looks ugly, but it is also much improved from November. His defense though, yikes, he has a long ways to go.

I hope he improves enough to where he can be the guy his senior year.

If nothing else, maybe giving Trey some minutes will light a fire under the collective ***** of Gesell and Clemmons. After the UNC game, I had thought that maybe Gesell would get some confidence and carry that forward. Unfortunately, it hasn't happened. I don't think it's complacency, he doesn't like the type. All I know is that something needs to change.

If nothing else, maybe giving Trey some minutes will light a fire under the collective ***** of Gesell and Clemmons. After the UNC game, I had thought that maybe Gesell would get some confidence and carry that forward. Unfortunately, it hasn't happened. I don't think it's complacency, he doesn't like the type. All I know is that something needs to change.

Yep, I agree. This game is all Gesell's fault. He sucked. Season is over. Change the lineups!

I would not go that far to completely change the lineup or to place blame on one player. However Trey played a good game and could be a help to this team going forward.

Hey Hawknick, Snapback is a troll. I'm not sure you'd understand the concept, but there it is. Don't bother or worry.

I didn't have any inclination that Snapback was being sarcastic. No emoticon and all of his posts are the same way.

Is Dickerson's lack of real point guard skills an indictment of the AAU circuit? Does anyone see a kid like Trey when he is 12 years old and say ... hey kid keep control of your body and feed your buddies... that is the ticket to getting paid to play?
What a waste of natural athletic ability

That was the best I've seen him look all season. He is so damned quick that his passes often catch his teammates off guard.
He hit Woodbury in the hands and Woody just threw up his hands like WTF? After he fumbled it, of course.
The kid seems to be able to get to the rim at will, he just has to finish. And his shot, although it fell last night, is pretty ugly.

Agreed, find a way to get Dickerson more minutes and hope he gets more comfortable and plays within himself. He has the physical ability to beat people off the dribble, which is something we desperately need. I'm betting our offense would look a whole lot better if our guards can beat their man on the perimeter.

He's just a sophomore, right? He has a lot of time to improve, but not sure it's going to happen sitting on the bench all the time.

Last edited:
That was the best I've seen him look all season. He is so damned quick that his passes often catch his teammates off guard.
He hit Woodbury in the hands and Woody just threw up his hands like WTF? After he fumbled it, of course.
The kid seems to be able to get to the rim at will, he just has to finish. And his shot, although it fell last night, is pretty ugly.

This^^^. I rewinded that play live just to see if it was a bad pass bc of Woodburys reaction. Nope. Good pass. Anyone not named Woodbury would've caught that pass and gone up w/o a dribble to try to rip the rim off the backboard. For Iowa, just another pathetic turnover from the most uncoordinated D1 bball player I've ever seen.

Is Dickerson's lack of real point guard skills an indictment of the AAU circuit? Does anyone see a kid like Trey when he is 12 years old and say ... hey kid keep control of your body and feed your buddies... that is the ticket to getting paid to play?
What a waste of natural athletic ability

I think college basketball in general is an indictment of the AAU circuit. I have only limited experience watching AAU (2 summers) but to me it looked like a slightly more organized pick-up game only instead of the homeless dudes watching with a battle of booze in their hands they were the refs and coaches.

When you throw a pass that someone doesn't have the ability to catch, everyone EXCEPT the person trying to catch it should be upset with the passer.

It was probably a mistake for Dickerson to try that pass, but Woodbury's reaction was dumb.

Latest posts