Toussaint and Keegan Murray

It gets me all giddy for our future! Let's go Hawks!
I shoulda also added they are the present as well. We tend to win when they play like they did as opposed to when they aren't as impactful too. They are both such X factors for us. Not many programs have guys like that coming off the bench

Is Keegan Murray immune to the laws of gravity and complacency both? The dude just hangs in the air and has vacuums for hands when rebounding. He already has a good shot. Work a tiny bit on ball handling and a few pounds of muscle and he'll be one of those Dominique Wilkins looking dunk machines. Cant wait til he starts blowing past guys with the improved ball handling and he starts tomahawking.

Is Keegan Murray immune to the laws of gravity and complacency both? The dude just hangs in the air and has vacuums for hands when rebounding. He already has a good shot. Work a tiny bit on ball handling and a few pounds of muscle and he'll be one of those Dominique Wilkins looking dunk machines. Cant wait til he starts blowing past guys with the improved ball handling and he starts tomahawking.
Then we can get a few legit "SEND IT IN" calls from Bill Rafferty! The good old days!

I don’t know why everyone assumes just because he’s a twin he might be/should be as good.
From what I’ve read...Fran, Kenyon, etc...Kris isn’t that far behind Keegan. So I’m hopeful that next year he could be as good as Keegan was this year. That’s why I think he has the potential to be good...just a year behind in development.

Keegan's block (which was ridiculously called a foul) was a thing of beauty, as it showed his instincts and skill level all in that one play. It seems to me that B1G officials appear to be looking at specific players to issue unwarranted automatic fouls against them for unknown reasons. When it comes to getting the call, or not getting a call, Keegan has been placed in this light unduly...not sure of the reason for this egregious biased officiating, other than his freshman status, because he says "boo" to nobody and shows an outstanding respectful demeanor on the court. Oh, and hot-damn, look at the "winning moxie" on this youngster...when he starts receiving some positive discretionary calls, look out!
They probably call fouls on Keegan because they have a preconceived notion before the play that there is no way he can do what he's about to do without fouling. Once the refs realize he has an ability very few players at this level possess, they will hopefully watch the plays before they blow their whistle.

I don’t know why everyone assumes just because he’s a twin he might be/should be as good.
Everyone says they are very close skill level. It's very possible they are just saying that to be nice, but their stats last year back it up too. It's very possible he has equal instincs with slightly less scoring ability. It's also possible his instincts are a little worse too. I'm not one who is assuming they are equal, I'm just hoping they are.

I keep comparing Keegan to Chris Street and will continue to do so. Very similar skill sets.

He was thrust into the starting lineup when CJ couldn't go and had issues with foul trouble. That's the next step in the progression, to be on the floor 25-30 minutes a night and avoid foul trouble.

I keep comparing Keegan to Chris Street and will continue to do so. Very similar skill sets.

He was thrust into the starting lineup when CJ couldn't go and had issues with foul trouble. That's the next step in the progression, to be on the floor 25-30 minutes a night and avoid foul trouble.
He's 1/3 Nic Baer, 1/3 Aaron White, and 1/3 Dev Marble.

He’s gotta work on the fouling though, which honestly is just a product of his youth.

He’s averaging 5 fouls per 40 in conference which is by far the highest on the team, but I’m sure he’ll get that worked out as he gains more PT.

He’s gotta work on the fouling though, which honestly is just a product of his youth.

He’s averaging 5 fouls per 40 in conference which is by far the highest on the team, but I’m sure he’ll get that worked out as he gains more PT.
Good observation. Building strength will help with that too but I also think his hustle and desire is creating a lot of his fouls. To your point, he will get better with the knowledge that comes with experience. He has what you can't teach. I think he'll learn and complete a very impressive Hawkeye career.

I was talking with a co-worker today. I said that JoeT had been going 100mph for most of this season. Against OSU he slowed to 90mph, was still faster than everyone else and was under control!
I kept thinking back to what the player would be to be comparable to what Joe does: Tony Freeman if my memory is correct.

He probabky leads the team in "how in the F did you just call that" fouls.
Some of that, but there’s also a lot that I see where he’s just out of position a little bit and it leads to some bumping and inadvertent contact. That’ll clean itself up as he gets more experience and a feel for where he’s at, and a few for what he can and can’t get away with.

Murray is a special player and in my opinion has a chance to be another great. I can’t think of a freshman I’ve seen who played as smooth and had such a good handle on the ball.

Yeah and the position(s) he's playing kinda lends itself to fouling some. He's being asked to guard 2s 3s and 4s while he's in there some. He's our best help defender as far as rim protecting goes now that Nunge is out. I don't have a problem with him using up his fouls in his current role. Would just like to see that he doesn't pick up a couple real quick so it doesn't affect his playing time.

B10 officials are notorious for a lack of respect in certain situations...to the younger player...especially freshmen. You get a marquee player like Trice or Ayo and they get calls that no one else gets...and if it's a freshman guarding them...well...double it.

Murray's been the victim of some absolutely terrible calls...like the block against OSU. The OSU player used his off arm to create any contact, but the reality is that it didn't matter because Murray went straight up and swatted that shit...the foul was a joke.

What surprised me though this year...was Dickenson was allowed to bump Garza around in the post...especially in the shooting motion. There were a few no calls that a senior POY candidate is ALWAYS going to get against a freshman. NOTHING. That was strange to me. Garza shot 3 free throws and took 19 shots. 3 Free Throws. That is a statistical anomaly. I guarantee if you took the time, and researched it...in games were Garza takes 19 shots...I'll bet he shoots 7-10 free throws.

The future is good with the young Lions. Murray twins Perkins Pat Joe t ahron .it is going to be the kids already plays good defense pick up a couple of bugs look out. Thank you Fran for bringing iowa back

I kept thinking back to what the player would be to be comparable to what Joe does: Tony Freeman if my memory is correct.
Freeman wasn't as quick or as strong but was probably a better shooter.

I'm going to channel my eighties yet again and bring up a player who's team once played, and almost knocked out, Iowa in the NCAA tournament.

UTEP's Jeep Jackson.

Latest posts