Toussaint and Keegan Murray

WinOneThisCentury

That's the Joe T were were expecting this year. He didn't try to do too much. One play signified what he means to this team...the all out effort on the deflected pass when he tried to feed Garza...I honestly thought that was going to be a dunk on the other end for OSU..and he just barrelled after it with sheer wreckless effort. That dive was so committed that there was no way OSU comes up with it. Awesome. Seven assists...one turnover...against OSU...impressive.

Keegan Murray does so many things that don't show up in the stat sheet. There were at least three loose balls that he got to...that no one else on our team can get to. Two of those stole possessions from OSU. The other thing is that he's tough defensively down low. He's so long...and let me tell you...the foul call on his first block on the OSU guard was criminal. Just criminal...and took away a big time play...although it sent a message. Then the block on Washington, and to have the presence of mind to come up with it as you are going out of bounds...and throw it off him when he was out of bounds...brilliant stuff. People...those are winning basketball plays...and make a huge difference in a game like this.

As usual, Garza and Weiskamp were huge, but these guys showed some metal on the road against the #4 team in the country. Big ass win today.

Last edited:
Keegan is going to be special. His effort, instincts, and athleticism paired with the experience and physicality that will surely come...look out, he's got All Big Ten performer written all over him. What a catch.

So happy for Toussaint. As you said, this is the Toussaint we were hoping to see all year, I genuinely hope he keeps it going. Still a work in progress, he still showed a tendency to do a lot of dribbling and kill the offense and had a couple examples of over-ambition but, all in all, definitely a "plus" player today. Seven assists against 1 TO? That's using the ol' noodle, buddy - keep it up! I would gladly give the Toussaint we saw today more minutes.

That's the Joe T were were expecting this year. He didn't try to do too much. One play signified what he means to this team...the all out effort on the deflected pass when he tried to feed Garza...I honestly thought that was going to be a dunk on the other end for OSU..and he just barrelled after it with sheer wreckless effort. That dive was so committed that there was no way OSU comes up with it. Awesome. Seven assists...one turnover...against OSU...impressive.

Keegan Murray does so many things that don't show up in the stat sheet. There were at least three loose balls that he got to...that no one else on our team can get to. Two of those stole possessions from OSU. The other thing is that he's tough defensively down low. He's so long...and let me tell you...the foul call on his first block on the OSU guard was criminal. Just criminal...and took away a big time play...although it sent a message. Then the block on Washington, and to have the presence of mind to come up with it as you are going out of bounds...and throw it off him when he was out of bounds...brilliant stuff. People...those are winning basketball plays...and make a huge difference in a game like this.

As usual, Garza and Weiskamp were huge, but these guys showed some metal on the road against the #4 team in the country. Big ass win today.

Totally agree. And dont mention the loose ball rebound iirc he got and was pushed shoved out of bounds with no call (how you can bump into a player on the end line causing him to go out of bounds without a foul call or a force out call is beyond me). That would have been another save for him.

Yes, Joe T was not out of control very much and was very much in control. He had a couple of shots that could have went down but his other play was much more important.

I thought CJ made some key plays also.

Murray reminds me of an old player Clyde "The Glide" Drexler. Both extremely smooth and makes basketball look effortless for the most part. I'm impressed how Murray just seems to come out of nowhere and track down loose balls. He had a clean block yesterday and the ref missed it. Joe T yesterday looked more relaxed out there. If you come into a game and feel uptight and play like you're not trying to make mistakes it shows. Somebody on the coaching staff must be in his ear telling him to relax and go be yourself. Loved his dive onto the floor for that ball that got knocked away.

I think the biggest thing for JoeT was that Fran actually kept him in for more than 2 minutes, letting him get into the flow of the game. It seemed that before, he would make one minor mistake, and Fran would pull him. Leaving him in there just builds his confidence and let's him do what he does best.

Future of the program right there those two are. I mean I've heard rumblings about JT being a transfer candidate. God I hope that's not true. He'll have all the opportunity to play a bunch next year and most likely start. I mean if he wants to go closer to home and drop down a level there's nothing that can be done about that. But I think he's plenty good enough to play at this level he's shown it.

Murray what more needs to be said about him? The more floor time that guy gets the better he is. Dude is being asked to defend some of the better 3 and 4 men this league has to offer and is doing a great job. He can shoot inside or out. He really runs the floor hard. He'll make every hustle play there is to be made. Plus he's only going to get better. He can put on a solid 10 more lbs maybe 15 making him even tougher to handle inside. Look out BIG he's a star in the making and his brother may not be far behind

Future of the program right there those two are. I mean I've heard rumblings about JT being a transfer candidate. God I hope that's not true. He'll have all the opportunity to play a bunch next year and most likely start. I mean if he wants to go closer to home and drop down a level there's nothing that can be done about that. But I think he's plenty good enough to play at this level he's shown it.

Murray what more needs to be said about him? The more floor time that guy gets the better he is. Dude is being asked to defend some of the better 3 and 4 men this league has to offer and is doing a great job. He can shoot inside or out. He really runs the floor hard. He'll make every hustle play there is to be made. Plus he's only going to get better. He can put on a solid 10 more lbs maybe 15 making him even tougher to handle inside. Look out BIG he's a star in the making and his brother may not be far behind
I'm guessing his brother isn't as blessed with the skills Keegan is displaying. If he was, why hasn't Fran used him?

There were times Keegan seemed to be everywhere doing everything. I thought maybe he was going to have 20 and was surprised he didn't when I looked at the box score.

I believe JT is a better shooter than he's showing us. When he gets his confidence he should be stomething. Next JT and AU will be manning the point and I don't see why we won't be in really good shape at that position.

Would have liked that out of bounds play better if he had hit the guy in the nuts!

Would have liked that out of bounds play better if he hit the Indians player in the nuts.

I'm guessing his brother isn't as blessed with the skills Keegan is displaying. If he was, why hasn't Fran used him?
Hard to say just haven't seen him enough. I mean they put up numbers that were pretty close to the same while they were in FL. 22 pts for Keegan while Kris put up 17 pts 9.5 rbs and almost 2 steals a game. I have a feeling he can do well at this level too. I'm excited to see more of him

Keegan reminds me of a more athletic version of Nicholas Baer. Just makes winning plays and does things most other players aren’t willing to do. Once he gets more muscle on him and gets that three ball down, look out.

As for Joe, that was exactly what I’ve been wanting from him all year. I have been thinking he will be transferring after the year since Fran hasn’t been going to him in the second half of games, and putting in freshmen, but this might of changed that. As long as he is being aggressive and stopping dribble drives, that is what we need.

With how deep we are, it could just be that we only needed one new payer of that type at this time to provide significant minutes and not 2. This is a very veteran team and before the season I don't think anyone expected a freshman to contribute. Also, quite possible that Kris doesn't have the same confidence as Keegan so it didn't show up as early in practice that he was ready right away.

It gets me all giddy for our future! Let's go Hawks!

Keegan's block (which was ridiculously called a foul) was a thing of beauty, as it showed his instincts and skill level all in that one play. It seems to me that B1G officials appear to be looking at specific players to issue unwarranted automatic fouls against them for unknown reasons. When it comes to getting the call, or not getting a call, Keegan has been placed in this light unduly...not sure of the reason for this egregious biased officiating, other than his freshman status, because he says "boo" to nobody and shows an outstanding respectful demeanor on the court. Oh, and hot-damn, look at the "winning moxie" on this youngster...when he starts receiving some positive discretionary calls, look out!

Latest posts