Toughness - How do you teach it?

I can recall some tough coaches in high school that were so crazy insane their kids did play a little tougher so maybe you can influence a kid that way, but for the most part I think your talking about a characteristic a person has. Regardless, I really don't know if this is our issue or not, not saying it isn't, saying I'm mystified at what our issue is. We can be so good, then so meh. Fricking maddening

LOL I don't know if you are right. But it does seam that way by how the two react.
I agree 1hawkeye1 and that's unfortunate. A guy has to be able to pull em up and dig deeper. Maybe the shots aren't falling so help get another guy going and bust your * on D. You just look at White especially at the end of the game and see how frustrated he is with himself. It's such a mental issue with him and he has the skills to ignite the offense. And Marble ? he just fades away into some happy place in his head.

LOL I don't know if you are right. But it does seam that way by how the two react.

Lol it is funny because it is true. Marble gets a clueless look on his face. White looks ticked off and often cusses to himself. Then Gesell just looks like an exhausted deer swerving in and out of traffic. Those three guys are the most important members of the team when it comes to generating offense. Unfortunately, in late game situations they have no rhythm together. No one knows who to go to, and often times they end up trying to make something happen on their own instead of running a play and getting a good shot.

I wonder at what point does the blame start to fall on Fran? I know there is only so much he can do, and at some point the players need to execute. However, Fran needs to be getting them into position to do so. The more I think about it the more it seems like they really don't have much of a gameplan in the final minutes. It just seems like isolation plays resulting in chaos. If and when they score it's often because they get a lucky bounce, not because they ran a good play.

Last edited:
I wish someone on here had some insite into the mindset of the team. I know a lot of times in Football there things going on. I have no clue about the BB team

They're 12-11 on the year (3-7 in the ACC). They've lost to Maryland, NC State, Georgia Tech, FSU and Wake Forest, none of which are above .500 in the ACC (only Maryland is even that good). But, I guess they scraped by Boston College and Virginia Tech (the two worst teams in the ACC) at home.

Notre Dame is not a good team.
Wasn't their best player and highest scorer suspended? Notre Dame was a good team (when Iowa played them)

You don't have to be 6'10, built like godzilla, have a 3 foot 'fro, and have a gold front tooth to be tough! For his size, Mike Gesell is tough. At the end of the game he was the only one who wanted the ball.

That's true. Grant's last game was against OSU. They did lose to North Dakota State at home with him in the lineup, though.

The game where they had an eight point lead and possession with 52 seconds left and lost in regulation?

Toughness can't be taught, IMO. It comes from personal pride. Too much pride to be pushed around. Too much pride to be taken advantage of. Too much pride to fail.
Remember the story about Gatens where someone grabbed his backpack and tried to run away with it? He ran the perp down and got it back. That's toughness. That's pride.

Toughness can't be taught, IMO. It comes from personal pride. Too much pride to be pushed around. Too much pride to be taken advantage of. Too much pride to fail.
Remember the story about Gatens where someone grabbed his backpack and tried to run away with it? He ran the perp down and got it back. That's toughness. That's pride.

You ever heard of the Marines? You think all those guys go in their tough?

Of course it can be taught... it's just very difficult to teach.

You ever heard of the Marines? You think all those guys go in their tough?

Of course it can be taught... it's just very difficult to teach.
Not the same thing. Toughness through competition is different than toughness through fear for ones life. Even the smallest creature can fight ferociously when they feel they have no choice.

Latest posts