Toughness - How do you teach it?

I think this team has the size and depth to give teams and make the final four. But talent and toughness isn't there. This isn't an overly talented team. Really good talent and the sum of the parts is good, but we are still behind other teams in terms of top level talent.

"Toughness" is a stupid concept used to motivate players. We don't lack toughness; we lack the talent of elite teams. We have one Top 50 recruit (Woodbury) and one borderline Top 100 recruit (Gessell). Accordingly, we lack shot-creators. We get offense through transition, but bog down in the half-court because we lack multiple shot-creators.

Teams that can hold the ball, avoid turnovers, and make shots at a decent clip will limit our transition offense. We will be stuck playing them in the half-court, which is not our strength. And we will lose some of those games. We need defensive stops to win these games.

Ohio State starts 5 juniors and seniors. They were all Top 100 recruits. The loss was not because toughness; it was because OSU is fairly even match-up and we will win some and lose some.

Because we all know Ohio State has been really good at just finding a way to win this year.

Not sure what you are getting at.

They had a great comeback against Notre Dame and found a way to win.

They just won 2 games on the road in the B1G against upper division teams.

OSU is 5-3 in games decided by less than 10 points this year.

Not sure what you are getting at.

They had a great comeback against Notre Dame and found a way to win.

They just won 2 games on the road in the B1G against upper division teams.

OSU is 5-3 in games decided by less than 10 points this year.

But that's also ignoring the fact that, of those five wins, three have come against below average competition (Notre Dame, Purdue, Illinois). And Wisconsin has been struggling every bit as much as OSU lately, but somebody had to win that game.

OSU hit one field goal in the final 8 minutes against Penn State, while PSU closed regulation on a 17-7 run. They shot 35% from the floor against Minnesota and lost by 10 after being tied at half. Neither team hit a field goal in the final three minutes at Wisconsin.

They're 5-5 in the Big Ten. No matter how you slice it, they've not done a particularly good job of just finding a way. They were tougher than Iowa last night, but that's not saying much.

But that's also ignoring the fact that, of those five wins, three have come against below average competition (Notre Dame, Purdue, Illinois). And Wisconsin has been struggling every bit as much as OSU lately, but somebody had to win that game.

Your post didnt say they were finding a way to win against great teams, all it did was sarcastically imply that OSU wasnt finding ways to win this year. Be more clear next time if there is more to your point.

And how is Notre Dame "below average competition?

Maybe it is both.....Iowa lacks some talent and mental toughness. I can see characteristics of both. A mentally tough team in Iowa's spot does not lose against a weakened MSU club at home and an OSU team they beat by 10 points on their own home court. I don't like it, but I can understand the other losses this year. The home court losses I don't understand and I think if Iowa had more mental toughness (read the article here (HOOP THOUGHTS: JAY BILAS ON TOUGHNESS) we don't lose these home games no matter if we are lacking some talent. Look specifically at the article in finishing plays, setting screens, on court communication, and whining about officiating (even though it can be very bad at times in the Big Ten) and this goes for Fran and some of our players (McCabe in particular) these are the things Bilas talk about when looking at a team who are not mentally tough.

Dan was right last night, this team is not mentally tough and like Yoda would say to Luke after Luke said "I can't believe it;" "That is why you failed." This team does not believe in itself and does not do all the little things they need to do to win the big games.

Your post didnt say they were finding a way to win against great teams, all it did was sarcastically imply that OSU wasnt finding ways to win this year. Be more clear next time if there is more to your point.

And how is Notre Dame "below average competition?

They're 12-11 on the year (3-7 in the ACC). They've lost to Maryland, NC State, Georgia Tech, FSU and Wake Forest, none of which are above .500 in the ACC (only Maryland is even that good). But, I guess they scraped by Boston College and Virginia Tech (the two worst teams in the ACC) at home.

Notre Dame is not a good team.

On a scale of 1 to 10 Ohio State played at a 9 and we played at a 3. It happens. We had issues winning on the road last year and then beat a Virginia team that hadn't lost at home in the NIT. We have issues this year...some old and perhaps some new. I believe that Fran will have these corrected by the NCAA.

I'm not willing to give our current problems a one word label. There are a lot of variables and moving parts. Earlier in the season we were considered very unselfish because so many of our baskets came on assists. This hasn't been happening. I want us playing our best in mid March.

They're 12-11 on the year (3-7 in the ACC). They've lost to Maryland, NC State, Georgia Tech, FSU and Wake Forest, none of which are above .500 in the ACC (only Maryland is even that good). But, I guess they scraped by Boston College and Virginia Tech (the two worst teams in the ACC) at home.

Notre Dame is not a good team.

Never said they were good but they are average. You called them below average.

Because we all know Ohio State has been really good at just finding a way to win this year.

When it comes to close games, they're on a whole other level than Iowa when it comes to finding ways to win. Its surprising when Ohio St loses a close game but not as surprising as when Iowa wins a close game.

@DP55555 Nice thread. As much as Dakich was getting on my nerves last night and Mike Tirico's, he was about ready to put duct tape on his mouth by the end of the game. I think the statement he made about Iowa was very true. Gasell played hard and consistent all game and Olaseni couldn't of shot any better and Iowa does play better when he's in the game. If I'm not mistaken didn't Tirico call Iowa, Iowa State towards the end of the game. That guy needs to take a vacation. Where was Marble last night. I just wanted to light a fire under his *** a few times when he was diddle-daddling out front with the ball doing nothing. White also went into lala-land and seemed stifled. I just don't get it but don't you think this is where Fran has to motivate these guys during critical phases of the game when we just fade and stagnate.

Not sure it can be taught. You either got it or you ain't. Iowa seems to have a lot of guys who ain't.

Excellent suggestion AHawk1 - Fran should make every guy on the team read that. Wouldn't hurt.
TOUCHNESS-JayBilas_zps35b29779.jpg

Never said they were good but they are average. You called them below average.

That's because they are. Here's a sampling of teams with similar records at this point.

Georgia Tech
Miami
Texas Tech
Butler
Georgetown
Nebraska
Penn State
Illinois
Purdue

I can't think of any team in that group that would be considered average.

When it comes to close games, they're on a whole other level than Iowa when it comes to finding ways to win. Its surprising when Ohio St loses a close game but not as surprising as when Iowa wins a close game.

Historically, sure. But Ohio State isn't your typical Ohio State this year. Looking at this year in a vacuum, it's not that surprising at all to see OSU lose a close game. Like I said, being tougher than Iowa isn't saying a whole lot.

That's because they are. Here's a sampling of teams with similar records at this point.

Georgia Tech
Miami
Texas Tech
Butler
Georgetown
Nebraska
Penn State
Illinois
Purdue

I can't think of any team in that group that would be considered average.

I would wager all of those teams are Top 125 teams according to KenPom. They are definitely average.

Not sure it can be taught. You either got it or you ain't. Iowa seems to have a lot of guys who ain't.

I agree 1hawkeye1 and that's unfortunate. A guy has to be able to pull em up and dig deeper. Maybe the shots aren't falling so help get another guy going and bust your * on D. You just look at White especially at the end of the game and see how frustrated he is with himself. It's such a mental issue with him and he has the skills to ignite the offense. And Marble ? he just fades away into some happy place in his head.

I would wager all of those teams are Top 125 teams according to KenPom. They are definitely average.

Alright, I'll admit they aren't technically below-average. But gutting it out against a team like that is hardly impressive; once you get below the 150 mark, Power 6 conference teams get pretty scarce. Notre Dame is an average/below average BCS team.

Latest posts