Tougher game UM or MSU?

Sirhouseman

I got into an argument with friend over the weekend about Iowa's chances against these two. I told him that I am MUCH more worried about MSU, and he was just the opposite. His reasoning is that Iowa struggles against the spread. I told him to stop living in '06 and our LBs are much more adept and our D much better than in the past. I think that Iowa's struggle against the spread is a farce, but maybe I'm too blinded?
I think Iowa has a much better chance this weekend than the MSU game. MSU is phsyical, talented and play solid D.

Thoughts?

These games are equally concerning to me. If you get both teams having their best games against the Hawks, it will be on helluva game on both fronts. KOK must have an upbeat and agressive game plan prepared for either game as you know the defense will do their job. I always like our chances at home better than on the road, but I think Sparty is by far the better team this year. It is tough to win at the Big House, but I would pick Iowa to win two close ones. Let's not over look the d-bag, Brett Bielema bringing the Badgers to town in between......now do you go for 2 when you're down 31 with 90 ticks left? What does your sheet say for that one Brett?

Michigan would be tougher if they had a semi-decent defense. But they don't.

Right now, it's a high-powered but not fully developed Michigan offense going up against a strong Iowa defense, while a anemic but tried-and-tested Iowa offense goes up against a relatively underwhelming Michigan defense. Both sides have sketchy special teams play, so I think that's a push.

MSU, on the other hand, is looking more and more balanced. They started of sketchy along the secondary and perhaps on the DL, while their offense seemed to be ALL rushing. They've made major improvements, and we'll find out in a few weeks whether Iowa can stop their offense while somehow moving the ball against their defense. Also, remember that MSU's special teams play has been better than Iowa's, so there's that...

I'm still more comfortable facing Michigan State at home. Their offense is balanced, but it was balanced last year too. We always have played well against those types of offenses.

Michigan on the other hand turned the ball over 5 times against us last year and still scored 28 points. Granted 7 of those were from a pick 6, but 5 TO's is an outlier. That doesn't happen that often. If they only turn the ball over 2 times they probably beat us last year in Kinnick This was our first outing against Rich Rod's spread and we didn't necessarily light the world on fire.

Michigan's defense was terrible last year too so just comparing how we fared against these two teams last year, and the fact that we go to Ann Arbor now... I think @UM is a tougher contest.

Latest posts