Tough changes needed for winning...

The OP is big into the identity politics movement (female AD, African American Head Coach, minority staff, true PG) and that’s okay, to each their own.

My personal opinion is I want someone who excels in each one of those position regardless of whether they are male or female or what color their skin is.

The AD needs to be fired, soon.

A new AD, with dynamic leadership skills, and someone who is creative and bold needs to be hired.

She (yes, a woman who is a die hard BB and FB fan) needs to begin plans and funding for a new venue for BB. (and many other sports)

She needs to work towards a new home...that seats about 6,700 hundred fans. It will be designed to be loud, with seating close to action, with balconies that hang over the court as close as engineering would allow. This will be a fun place to go. Tickets will be scarce. Everyone will comment on how "old and historical" place looks. It will be called, "The New Barn."

Priority seating will not be given based on $$$. It will be given based on age and enthusiasm. Sections will be set aside for groups of high school students, grade school students, and special need students to open the doors for new generations of Iowa BB fans. These tickets will be affordable and choice. These students can win such opportunities throughout the year by academic excellence, demonstrated leadership, athletic excellence, volunteering, and school attendance.

Iowa College students will also be offered the choicest of seats, at reduced rates. These seats will be close to the action, so close, opponents will begin to complain about them.

Old folks with the money will still have good seats, up higher, a nice view, but with ample opportunities for napping and fumbling with their smart phones out of view. They might threaten to cancel their season tickets, but most won't...for they will be coveted.

A new coach will be one of the first moves, perhaps a minority, African American, who is a leader, dynamic, LOVES to recruit, and is a stickler for fundamentals. He will be "stable" emotionally, and mature, yet bubbling with excitement, coveting his opportunity to coach such a large school, assuming he would never receive such a chance. He will offer prayers of thanks each evening that Iowa was such a progressive school, finding him, a diamond in the rough. He won't demand special contracts...he would do this for nothing...

The new coach will hire a diverse coaching staff, all of whom are personable and LOVE to recruit. And second to recruiting, they will be sticklers for fundamentals. Two such coaches will have a history of playing PG in high school and college.

If you build it...they will come.

Why does it have to be a "she"? Why does the new coach have to be an AA?

Seems the MSU and Drake ADs were women and things didn't go so great at those schools and I'd say the success rate is probably about the same between genders.

The last thing we need to do is try and make ourselves feel better and hire for diversity for the sake of diversity. Hire the best people whatever their gender or race.

Would not call it the Barn, I don't want anything to do with a Goofer. Also go 8-10k on capacity. It'd still fill.

Oh, and fire Gary Barta.

A new AD, with dynamic leadership skills, and someone who is creative and bold needs to be hired.

She (yes, a woman who is a die hard BB and FB fan) needs to begin plans and funding for a new venue for BB. (and many other sports)

She needs to work towards a new home...that seats about 6,700 hundred fans. It will be designed to be loud, with seating close to action, with balconies that hang over the court as close as engineering would allow. This will be a fun place to go. Tickets will be scarce. Everyone will comment on how "old and historical" place looks. It will be called, "The New Barn."

Priority seating will not be given based on $$$. It will be given based on age and enthusiasm. Sections will be set aside for groups of high school students, grade school students, and special need students to open the doors for new generations of Iowa BB fans. These tickets will be affordable and choice. These students can win such opportunities throughout the year by academic excellence, demonstrated leadership, athletic excellence, volunteering, and school attendance.

Iowa College students will also be offered the choicest of seats, at reduced rates. These seats will be close to the action, so close, opponents will begin to complain about them.

Old folks with the money will still have good seats, up higher, a nice view, but with ample opportunities for napping and fumbling with their smart phones out of view. They might threaten to cancel their season tickets, but most won't...for they will be coveted.

A new coach will be one of the first moves, perhaps a minority, African American, who is a leader, dynamic, LOVES to recruit, and is a stickler for fundamentals. He will be "stable" emotionally, and mature, yet bubbling with excitement, coveting his opportunity to coach such a large school, assuming he would never receive such a chance. He will offer prayers of thanks each evening that Iowa was such a progressive school, finding him, a diamond in the rough. He won't demand special contracts...he would do this for nothing...

The new coach will hire a diverse coaching staff, all of whom are personable and LOVE to recruit. And second to recruiting, they will be sticklers for fundamentals. Two such coaches will have a history of playing PG in high school and college.

Do you have a magic wand for some of this stuff? Because that's the only way it's going to happen.

I think a simple, inexpensive remodel of CHA can change the noise level. First, take out the top level (or maybe 2) of the "pull out" seats that surround the court on all sides. Then a person standing in the top row of that level will not interfere with the view of those on the first permanent seat level. Then have the student section be the "pull out" seats on all sides of the court (kind of like the "Izzone" at Crisler Arena or Cameron Indoor Arena). Keep your "high dollar" people and recruits sitting in chairs courtside or in the first permanent seat level or so (kind of like they do now). Everybody wins: students get closer to the court to make more noise, high dollar donors get to sit the entire game if they wish and not have an obstructed view, CHA becomes a noisy place for opponents.

I think an African American coach, younger, dynamic, loving recruiting, leader is something the program needs...we seem not able to recruit players that can move, much...if we were playing a season in a pit of mud...I like our chances...but one a wooden court? We suck... Doesn't have to be...a suggestion...I am sure there are many out there that have talent and would covet a chance to get a chance at a place like Iowa City.

I don't care about the sex of the AD either...need someone who is a leader, isn't a sneaky little weasel, and someone who wants to win...

I do like The Barn though...think it would be a huge sell and fitting for the state...intimidating...unique...

I think an African American coach, younger, dynamic, loving recruiting, leader is something the program needs...we seem not able to recruit players that can move, much...if we were playing a season in a pit of mud...I like our chances...but one a wooden court? We suck... Doesn't have to be...a suggestion...I am sure there are many out there that have talent and would covet a chance to get a chance at a place like Iowa City.

I don't care about the sex of the AD either...need someone who is a leader, isn't a sneaky little weasel, and someone who wants to win...

I do like The Barn though...think it would be a huge sell and fitting for the state...intimidating...unique...

But wouldn't an African American coach have a difficult time relating to all our white players? All joking aside though, it shouldn't matter what gender or race our next coach or AD is as long as they're knowledgeable, passionate, and the best at what they do.

I really like box +/- stats. But they are purely stat driven and I don't always agree with how they score this on the defensive end. I have my own +/- system that I run for my kids. A +/- on the defensive side of the ball is very difficult to put together accurately, if you don't watch the game. If a 2G comes over and sets a screen on my PG, and my 2G doesn't communicate that to my PG and their PG scores off of that screen, I'm giving that - to my 2G.
I also attach +/- for hustle on the defensive end. +/- for boxing out.
There are some things that you cannot quantify by looking at stats alone. So, I always look at advanced defensive stats with more than a little skepticism. PPG allowed is about the only stat that you can attach to the entire team, so it's better than most. But it doesn't tell me much.

Well than points per possession would be way better than points per game.

Do you think Alabama says man I wish we would have hired an African American as our head football coach? What about Kentucky basketball?

We should hire someone who is good at those things you mentioned regardless of their skin color. If they happen to be African American I’m all for it, but to bring someone because of their skin color would be really dumb.

I don't have to read beyond the first 2 sentences to agree with you. Hey, I'm a big Fran fan, but this season is not acceptable, but I believe he deserves a chance to fix it. But, kirk and fran should be treated equally, without bias. you define what your expectations are for your program and then you produce that.

Well than points per possession would be way better than points per game.
For determining my line up and minutes distribution on offense, in practice, absolutely. None of the sites I reference gives PPP allowed, so I'm not sure where to find that. Where do you get that stat?

We have hired an Offensive Coordinator for the FB team that is "learning on the job"...62 yards gained vs Wisconsin...a record for the team who used to want to be like "us"

We have hired a head coach for the BB team who is "learning on the job" how to teach defense, substitute, use time outs and control his temper...while giving up a record amount of points to a football school, Nebraska...

Yah...some good hires there...well done...a raise for the AD and his staff are in order...if the BB Head Coach can get rewarded for this dumpster fire, and if the son of the coach can make hundreds of thousands of dollars for mediocrity and mind numbing boredom while being mentored by pops...why not us?

OK AD...where did you hide the nice cookies so we can't see them, given out for all the good people that work for the outstanding, excelling Iowa BB and FB programs (and your cronies as well at the AD office?)

The common fans would like a little...see you at the game...sitting by yourself in the midst of thousands of empty seats....

Well done thou good and faithful servant...

Latest posts