Tornado Thread

In a town near where I live there were two families from a spot in the road in Missouri named Callao. That's a long way from here in another state. One was heading east on the interstate and the other family west. They both got hit by a tornado at the same time and place going in opposite directions in another small town. They were not traveling together. One lady was killed.

In a town near where I live there were two families from a spot in the road in Missouri named Callao. That's a long way from here in another state. One was heading east on the interstate and the other family west. They both got hit by a tornado at the same time and place going in opposite directions in another small town. They were not traveling together. One lady was killed.

For some reason I am having difficulty following what you are describing. I've read it like 3 times but can't envision what went on. Like reading Social Studies for me in 8th grade!

What is a spot in the road in Missouri named Callao? Is that a town in Missouri?

For some reason I am having difficulty following what you are describing. I've read it like 3 times but can't envision what went on. Like reading Social Studies for me in 8th grade!

What is a spot in the road in Missouri named Callao? Is that a town in Missouri?
Made me think of those math/logic questions I used to see on the Iowa Basic Skills Tests we took in grade school in the early '70's

Amazing! The odds on this are so remote I would think a person would have a better chance at the lottery............

Yes, it's a town in Missouri population 290. Two different families going different directions (not together) were hit by the same tornado in a small town 300 miles from Callao, killing one of them. What are the odds of that?

Amazing! The odds on this are so remote I would think a person would have a better chance at the lottery............

OH, now I read it and understand it. They were driving in a different state in the town HawkGold lives. Yea, what are the odds of that happening!

I do not understand how all the average Joe's and families afford to live out there.
Neither do I! I moved out here for a great job opportunity, and I had to seriously consider the upside/downside risk of moving here, in terms of finances. My wife also works and my kids are grown. I have no idea how young people and people who make reasonable incomes (but not bigger incomes), make it. It's becoming more common in a lot of big urban areas, but it's certainly the most significant in places like LA, SF, NYC.

Plus, in order to have affordable housing in any way, some commute very far. I don't know how they do it. I work with people that commute 2 hours each way. I couldn't.

Having said that, if one can swing it... there are lots of great things to do and if you're close to the ocean the weather is absolutely perfect. There are pros and cons of living everywhere.

Neither do I! I moved out here for a great job opportunity, and I had to seriously consider the upside/downside risk of moving here, in terms of finances. My wife also works and my kids are grown. I have no idea how young people and people who make reasonable incomes (but not bigger incomes), make it. It's becoming more common in a lot of big urban areas, but it's certainly the most significant in places like LA, SF, NYC.

Plus, in order to have affordable housing in any way, some commute very far. I don't know how they do it. I work with people that commute 2 hours each way. I couldn't.

Having said that, if one can swing it... there are lots of great things to do and if you're close to the ocean the weather is absolutely perfect. There are pros and cons of living everywhere.
Oh man, I wouldn't either. Just nuts. But a decent house out there prob starts at 1.5 mil plus if not more. I don't get it how people or a state can sustain that. My stepmother has a cousin who he and his wife said F it and moved out to Iowa several years ago. This after he retired and they moved from upper CA which is prob a bit better.

OH, now I read it and understand it. They were driving in a different state in the town HawkGold lives. Yea, what are the odds of that happening!
Actually it was near here. I watched the storm from my deck. It was weird. For parts of it was EF4. It was like the same time Diana was killed. Took the same path an EF4 did in 1976. Was the 3rd time that town of 700 had tornado fatalities. The town actually is nicer today than then. Only thing you can tell today are gaps between downtown buildings that are not longer there. One bank only had the vault left. From the interstate, you notice a lot more trees on both ends of the town and a large gap in the middle. In the restaurant, it took half and the other half still intact which is where the customers were at.

Was it last year the Amazon tornado in Edwardsville, IL had fatalities. This plant that I know well was hit by an EF4 and the 140 people survived. Was a direct hit. The owner had built a shelter. They could see it coming for miles. When I hear about big business not being able to "afford" shelters....

1651769070350.png=

I was a property insurance adjuster back then, by the end of the day I had 17 commercial buildings to inspect. Weirdest thing I saw was a 2x4 driven clean through a truck tire. Wish I still had the photo. I had one guy who was injured at a restaurant keep calling me, wanting $$ for pain and suffering. I didnt give him any money, but I gave him some advice- don't stand in front of plate glass windows to watch a tornado. He got mad, but he quit calling.

F that guy. That's why I could never be an adjuster. I'd give that asshole the address to the courthouse and tell him to sue us.

Made me think of those math/logic questions I used to see on the Iowa Basic Skills Tests we took in grade school in the early '70's
A train was moving eastbound out of Denver at 55mph. Meanwhile a bus was moving westbound out of Chicago at 65 mph....

....never mind!

There was a tornado on the extreme south edge of Dubuque in September 1972 that did some damage near the Swiss Valley trailer park. The area where it would have crossed US 61 and 151 is much more developed now then it was then (mostly industrial but growing residential) and a tornado traveling a similar path today would cause substantially more damage.

I had just turned seven and just got home from school to watch the Doctor Max children's show. I wouldn't be watching for long. It was the first time I recall a weather bulletin interrupting a TV show. Shortly after that we were in the basement. We had another tornado that hopscotched down Dodge Street (US 20) two years earlier and knocked our power out for 48 hours. Also blew the roofs off Kennedy Mall and Hempstead High School. There was tree damage all over our neighborhood as well. We lived near Loras College at the time in what is now the 11th Street historical district. Those were big beautiful trees and to this day have never been replaced.

There was a tornado on the extreme south edge of Dubuque in September 1972 that did some damage near the Swiss Valley trailer park. The area where it would have crossed US 61 and 151 is much more developed now then it was then (mostly industrial but growing residential) and a tornado traveling a similar path today would cause substantially more damage.

I had just turned seven and just got home from school to watch the Doctor Max children's show. I wouldn't be watching for long. It was the first time I recall a weather bulletin interrupting a TV show. Shortly after that we were in the basement. We had another tornado that hopscotched down Dodge Street (US 20) two years earlier and knocked our power out for 48 hours. Also blew the roofs off Kennedy Mall and Hempstead High School. There was tree damage all over our neighborhood as well. We lived near Loras College at the time in what is now the 11th Street historical district. Those were big beautiful trees and to this day have never been replaced.
1651802755045.png

Dr Max....wow the days.

View attachment 8989

Dr Max....wow the days.
When I worked for Media Com (mostly in the '90's and then known as TCI cable) we had our own local origin children''s program featuring "Jelly The Clown" Jelly knew Mombo well from watching that same Dr Max show as a child and had Mombo as his guest one day. Mombo was 87 at the time. Sweetheart of a guy, great stories.

My favorite Doctor Max was when the week ending Friday show closed with Mombo frustrated over a magic trick not working correctly. The show ended with him at the counter, then the following Monday's show began with him at the same counter still struggling with that trick. They made it look like he had spent the entire weekend in the studio.

This is the best stream of consciousness evar.

Well, I ended up moving to SoCal and there's no water here at all. Huge water restrictions coming. I'd rather have tornadoes.

Yep, it is pretty hard to actually be stay alive or at least live healthily without fresh water for very long.

I live in Iowa City and remember the 2008 tornado that plowed through downtown. I remember the destruction along Iowa Avenue, St. Patrick's Church, etc. It was crazy. Happened at night so couldn't see the tornado, there is video of when the lightning flashes you can see the outline.

A train was moving eastbound out of Denver at 55mph. Meanwhile a bus was moving westbound out of Chicago at 65 mph....

....never mind!

Heh...this reminds me of a scene from Johnny Dangerously.

Jump ahead to 1:20

Latest posts