Toppin Tops Garza for AP POY Award

Pretty much saw it coming... At least he and Keith Duncan can have something to talk about. Such total BS. But what can ya do. When a shit ton of the voters only see highlights and see which team was ranked higher that was it. Similar to Heisman voting it's just lazy the lack of effort many of those put into doing their homework on these things. Oh well it won't change because I bitch about it...
Hopefully Garza will come back next yr with a vengeance with just one more chip on his shoulder.

I think we also need to recognize that part of this is the result of a gradual change in the basketball landscape over the last several years.

The reality is that conventional centers are just not where the game is. The emphasis is on fluidity and athleticism. Players that easily project to the NBA and are going to garner media attention and endorsements, and therefore are going to get the majority of the focus on the part of voters.

There was a time where it was a surprise if a center didn't receive the major awards - Mikan, Russell, Chamberlain, Jabbar, Walton, etc. It's much more of an uphill battle now.

Last edited:
Disappointing to say the least. Sportswriters all talk about the best conference being the big 10, but yet by far the best player in college basketball, in the best conference, gets beat out by a kid on a team who absolutely played a handful of good teams all year. Totally ridiculous, much like AP giving a racially undiverse team of 1958 a national title over a team they couldnt even compete with on the field, athletically speaking.....

In the past 10 years, only in 2016 did the Wooden Award and Naismith Award vary from the AP winner - AP was Denzel Valentine and Wooden/Naismith was Buddy Hield.

In the past 10 years, only in 2016 did the Wooden Award and Naismith Award vary from the AP winner - AP was Denzel Valentine and Wooden/Naismith was Buddy Hield.

That's good news for Luka because they got that one right!

Anti-Iowa biased media. Ignored the facts, the stats and went with the best dunker.
Showed their true ignorance of the game.
F'em - we know who was #1.

Luka has done the most with less athletic ability than anyone since Larry.
I'd have to think about that for a min... That could very well be true. Garza isn't jumping over anybody. He's not running circles around anyone. He's just working his but off and playing hard and smart. Now he's skilled. Very skilled for a big guy. But yeah I totally see what you mean and I bet you're right.

One was the best college player in the country. The other was one of the top NBA prospects in the country. I think in this case NBA hype won out.

Garza's defensive metrics were not very good and some of the voters/writers held that against him.

Garza's defensive metrics were not very good and some of the voters/writers held that against him.
Part of that is that he had to be careful with the fouls. There were several times he was called for a foul when literally no contact was made. All that said, since when have AP voters given a shit about defense?

Latest posts