Top Transfers In / Most Painful Transfers Out

nickhawk

My vote:

Top players to transfer into Iowa:

1. Andre Woolridge - Almost had Iowa winning the Big 10 by himself, in addition to almost taking down Kentucky in the tourney by himself - Granted he carried the ball a ton when he dribbled, but was one of my all time favorites

2. Reggie Evans - Rebounding machine.

3. Adam Haluska - Gifted athlete who could score. Scored over 20 ppg as a senior and was fun to watch.

4. Matt Bullard - Part of the Twin Towers with Les Jespen. If he wasn't constantly hurt, I think he could have had a much bigger impact

Most Painful Losses / Transfers Out of Iowa

1. Tyler Smith - Great athlete who had a complete floor game - transferred to be closer to family but ended up getting in a heap of legal trouble.

2. Ray Thompson - I think he bolted after his Soph year, but I remember he had a lot of talent.

3. Jake Kelly - Another transfer to be closer to family - Injured this year, but he proved in the 2nd half of last year to be a very capable scorer and point guard.

4. Joey Range - He was only at Iowa for 1 year, but he showed flashes of having big time potential.

Any other signficant players I am missing?

Out of Iowa

Jeff Walker
Johnny Fort
Paul Lusk
Dennis Johnson
Curtis Cuthpert

To Iowa

Luke Recker
Sam Okey
Gerry Wright
Ryan Hogan

Where did Woolridge transfer from? Easily my favorite Iowa player of all time. I am still mad that Bobby Jackson robbed him of B10 POY

Woolridge came from Nebraska.

I agree he should have won Big 10 POY.

How can you lead the league in scoring and assists and not be the POY?

Woolridge came from Nebraska.

I agree he should have won Big 10 POY.

How can you lead the league in scoring and assists and not be the POY?

We all know the answer....have a cheating Clem Haskins surround POY winner Bobby Jackson with a bunch of non-students who enabled Minny to win the league and go to the Final Four.

Andre still got robbed,but to the league champ goes the spoils,even if they cheat.

Woolridge got hosed on the POY award. He is BTPOY in my mind, I don't care who the award was actually given to.

I think you guys already covered most of the tranfers, but here are a couple more names.

In: Val Barnes - I'll never forget the performance he put up @MSU the first game after Chris Street's death.

Out: Rob Griffin - not a big name in Hawkeye history, but the guy was a scorer. I thought he had another year of eligibility left, but I'm not sure what circumstances led to his departure.

If Juco's count as transfers, Reggie Evans and Kevin Gamble. Ray Thompson wasn't a transfer out, he was a forced to sit out, but that one still chaffs me.

Woolridge got hosed on the POY award. He is BTPOY in my mind, I don't care who the award was actually given to.

I think you guys already covered most of the tranfers, but here are a couple more names.

In: Val Barnes - I'll never forget the performance he put up @MSU the first game after Chris Street's death.

Out: Rob Griffin - not a big name in Hawkeye history, but the guy was a scorer. I thought he had another year of eligibility left, but I'm not sure what circumstances led to his departure.

Griffin did have one year left, but I believe he flunked out, as did Joey Range.

I will say it....from a pure bb standpoint, Pierre Pierce was one of the best players in the league and his suspension and ultimate departure hurt two Hawk teams that had real promise. Both the 05 and 06 teams could have won the league with PP on the team...damn you PP!!

If Juco's count as transfers, Reggie Evans and Kevin Gamble. Ray Thompson wasn't a transfer out, he was a forced to sit out, but that one still chaffs me.

Thompson did transfer from Iowa to Oral Roberts after his sophomore season along with Brian Garner. Ray was forced to sit out the NCAA tournament his freshman year. This is it! Go Hawks!

Any such list has to include John Johnson and Freddy Brown at or near the top. What those guys did hooked me on Iowa hoops before I even knew anything about the game. I just knew they were good and they were Hawkeyes.

As an aside, the fact that we haven't had that kind of thing going on here for so long is definitely cause for concern about whether we've truly lost a generation of kids who may never be serious Iowa basketball fans as a result.

He was playing BB in Europe last I heard.

One of the top leagues as well. I believe he won a couple MVP overseas early on. He almost made the Hornets his rookie year.

Gotta add a few of my favorite Hawks from MCC. Jake the elbow throwing Jaacks and Jason Price.

Out of Iowa

Jeff Walker
Johnny Fort
Paul Lusk
Dennis Johnson
Curtis Cuthpert

To Iowa

Luke Recker
Sam Okey
Gerry Wright
Ryan Hogan

Turnip, I haven't seen enough of your stuff to be sure but it appears that almost all of your posts are partly tongue in cheek--or at least they represent your idea of what's funny. So it is with some trepidation that I respond to this one as though it were serious.

Having said that, you cannot be serious! ;-) Congrats on remembering the names of Johnson and Cuthpert (esp. Johnson), but those guys were washouts before they left. Walker never playing here did hurt, because he was reportedly very talented. Fort? Meh. The mistake with him was in the initial evaluation. Lusk was a solid player. Had he not broken his leg he would have been remembered as a good Hawkeye--something along the lines of a Dick Peth I think.

I like your list of top transfers in (at least as a partial list), but Ryan Hogan doesn't belong on it IMO--perhaps he would have but for the injury but I dunno. Wright, Okey and Recker all had major positive impacts.

Last edited:
One of the top leagues as well. I believe he won a couple MVP overseas early on. He almost made the Hornets his rookie year.

Gotta add a few of my favorite Hawks from MCC. Jake the elbow throwing Jaacks and Jason Price.

Random Jaacks story - Jake Jaacks mom got me and a friend kicked out of the Black & gold scrimmage when Jaacks was a senior. We were in 8th grade and snuck down to the good seats to watch the scrimmage. we were heckling Jaacks about throwing elbows and apparently we were sitting behind his mom. After awhile she snapped at us, threw her elbows at us (thats where Jake learned it), called over the security guard and when we couldnt produce tickets for that area we get kicked out of those seats.

True story

Turnip, I haven't seen enough of your stuff to be sure but it appears that almost all of your posts are partly tongue in cheek--or at least they represent your idea of what's funny. So it is with some trepidation that I respond to this one as though it were serious.

Having said that, you cannot be serious! ;-) Congrats on remembering the names of Johnson and Cuthpert (esp. Johnson), but those guys were washouts before they left. Walker never playing here did hurt, because he was reportedly very talented. Fort? Meh. The mistake with him was in the initial evaluation. Lusk was a solid player. Had he not broken his leg he would have been remembered as a good Hawkeye--something along the lines of a Dick Peth I think.

I like your list of top transfers in (at least as a partial list), but Ryan Hogan doesn't belong on it IMO--perhaps he would have but for the injury but I dunno. Wright, Okey and Recker all had major positive impacts.

I never joke when it comes to Iowa basketball. It's my life. Dennis Johnson was a great team player, solid ball handler and tough defensive player. He did the little things that help teams win games. Van Coleman compared Johnny Fort to Michael Jordan in Midwest Basketball Times. The kid has a much raw talent as any Olson recruit. It did not work out for him at Iowa and a knee injury at Virgina Tech pretty much ended his basketball career. Cuthpert was a man child with freakish skills for a guy 6'10. Unfortunately grades and substance abuse derailed his career at Iowa. Jeff Walker would have been Mr. Davis's best player he recruited to Iowa, he was as good an athlete as Ricky Davis but a better shooter and defensive player. What could have been.

This is it! Go Hawks!

Random Jaacks story - Jake Jaacks mom got me and a friend kicked out of the Black & gold scrimmage when Jaacks was a senior. We were in 8th grade and snuck down to the good seats to watch the scrimmage. we were heckling Jaacks about throwing elbows and apparently we were sitting behind his mom. After awhile she snapped at us, threw her elbows at us (thats where Jake learned it), called over the security guard and when we couldnt produce tickets for that area we get kicked out of those seats.

True story

Haha nice. Jaacks and Price reffed my Y games when they were at MCC. Jaacks always seemed like sort of a jack @$$ but Price was the nicest Hawk I have ever met. I remember being at Hawkeye Bball camp like 3 years later and he came over to me and remembered reffing my games.

Latest posts