Top O-lineman Kouandjio eyes Iowa

No offense but wouldn't having a young OL mean that the guys playing will be here for a few more years which would limit his opportunity to play early?

iahawk72

He would be a huge get (no pun intended). Given our young O-line, Kouandjio would play immediately. He is the 7th best recruit OVERALL and #1 at the OL position. His brother is at Alabama but sounds like he doesn't want to be attached to his brother. Marcus Coker was his high school classmate.

Recruiting: Top O-lineman Kouandjio eyes Iowa | Hawk Central

Uncommon, yes. Unheard of, no. I only have 1 recent example at Iowa, Mike Jones. I believe he pulled his redshirt off at Ohio State as true FR.

correct on dace, not sure on bulaga. and of course mike jones out of necessity - but surely he wasn't the last OL on the team - he was better than the other options - even as a true freshman.

Dace got playing time as a TR FR at OT ... however, he DID NOT start as a TR FR. Bulaga, on the other hand, started for something like half the season at OG as a TR FR.

As for the possibility of Kouandjio starting as a TR FR at Iowa .... that would depend completely on the health of Reiff and Zusevics. Furthermore, MacMillan would likely have a "head start" on him too. Of course, with Vandervelde graduating, if MacMillan were to jump over to OT (due to a hypothetical injury to Reiff or Zus) ... a spot would then be opening up at OG.

Anyhow, I doubt that Kouandjio would start at Iowa as a TR FR. However, that said, I could definitely see there being a distinct chance that he could earn early playing time as a TR FR ... just not on a starting capacity (much like the playing time that Dace earned as a TR FR).

The cool thing there is that the playing time as a TR FR wouldn't necessarily be very "high pressure" and it then would prep him well for starting as a SO after Zusevics graduates. Heck, if Reiff follows a Bulaga-like career trajectory ... we could potentially compete for EITHER RT or LT spot.

Gotta think the kid would like the part where Lemming said if he went to Iowa he'd be a number one draft pick.

I don't care what anyone says....#3 prospect in the nation...You can't have enough quality lineman coming out of high school & the fact he has Iowa in his sights says volumes...Would be a huge get for the Hawks....

As long as he is an "Iowa" kind of player. We don't need a Sentrel Henderson type guy in here.
Kirk is very good about weeding out the bad seeds. As long as he comes in and puts the work in, he'll fit in here just fine.

I have to say, for Cyrus to see Coker playing as a TR FR this year has to be enticing as well. I mean just last year they were playing together. I am hoping the Hawks have a legit shot at this kid. I think he has a much tougher time finding early playing time on the Alabama squad, and I would not want to go to a school and sit behind my brother for a year or two.

I think Kouandjio is a longshot but nice to see he apparently has interest in Iowa.

Truly good OL can play as freshmen. Not sure how good this guy is but the Bryan Bulaga type OL play as freshmen. Dace and Mike Jones didnt fare all that well as freshmen but Bulaga was a factor at end of his freshmen year.

according to ESPN's College Football Rumors. Iowa is now the favorite to land him.
Alabama no longer out front?

1:50PM ET
2011 OT Cyrus Kouandjio

Iowa is emerging as a major player for the nation's No. 2 OT

I think that from what I have been reading he REALLY wants to play with some of the guys from his school, but not with his brother. With Coker and from what I have heard the DT(Cooper) from their school also has Iowa as his no. 1. Would be great to start a pipeline to Dematha! One of the best high school teams on the East coast!

All it takes is one injury for him to get in...look at MacMillan. Yeah it sucks that an injury is why he is playing but who knows, kouanjio might be so good that he'd never see the bench again! I mean he is 6-7 295 as a high school kid

according to ESPN's College Football Rumors. Iowa is now the favorite to land him.
Alabama no longer out front?

1:50PM ET
2011 OT Cyrus Kouandjio

Iowa is emerging as a major player for the nation's No. 2 OT

I think that from what I have been reading he REALLY wants to play with some of the guys from his school, but not with his brother. With Coker and from what I have heard the DT(Cooper) from their school also has Iowa as his no. 1. Would be great to start a pipeline to Dematha! One of the best high school teams on the East coast!

If we can get both of those kids that would be a great great get from Dematha. Those 2 will be studs. Wouldn't mind getting another huge DT to go with Davis and Ferguson from last year's class.

You guys are getting me all pumped up. Getting a couple more quality offensive linemen like that would be incredible.

wow, could really be building a stronghold on the east coast. didn't know the HS coaches' connection to KOK.

I watched a video of him on recruiting insider, and he looks like the real deal. He's a legit 300 pounds, but not fat at all. Nothing like Seantrel Henderson's fat butt.