Top 5 collegiant fb jobs.

1) USC - Great weather, great location, and great instate talent to recruit. Plus they have great appeal to high profile recruits all across the country (Joe McKnight, Damien Williams, Kyle Prater). Plus with no pro team around, you are pretty much the only game in town in the nations 2nd biggest market. Being successful can make you into a borderline celebrity. This job pretty much sells itself. Plus I almost forgot, free Escalades!

2) Florida - Has many of the same advantages that USC has minus the Hollywood scene and a tougher conference. I don't think anyone can complain about no state income tax.

3) Texas - It must be nice not to have to leave the state to recruit. The fans are as passionate as any in the country. They remind me of Iowa with wrestling. Unfortunatly most Texas Longhorn fans double as Dallas Cowboy fans.

4) Ohio State - Great tradition and they are one of the few schools that can attract high profile guys from the south to think about coming up north. And over the past decade, they have carried the Big 10 banner by themselves so to speak as opposed to Texas which shares with Oklahoma and Florida shares with Bama/LSU/Georgia. Could maybe even rank higher if Lebron wasn't leaving the state in the summer.

5) Florida State - Has all the potential Florida has. If you don't think so, go ahead and relive the 90's and early 2000's. Acedemics optional.

I could go with either this or the OP's list, based on what I think his criteria were -- largely a natural attractiveness to recruits, storied (and still relevant) tradition and limited intrusion on how the program can be run.

Texas easily could be No. 1. There's still a lot of high school football played in Texas with many youngsters growing up wanting to become Longhorns. Mack Brown still seems to have the pick of the litter.

Notre Dame doesn't belong. ND was long ago eclipsed by other programs with better traditions and winning records. An offer by ND simply does not carry the same weight it once did (sorry to burst your bubble, Domers.)

As much as I love the campus and the hard work Hayden Fry and Kirk Ferentz put into returning the Hawkeye program to national respectability, Iowa City is a hard place to get top recruits to visit and much less commit to. It takes a special kind of coach to develop the 1- and 2-star (or no-star) recruits that come to Iowa into all-conference and even NFL caliber talent and to teach them a relatively straight-forward, yet effective, style of controlled game that usually results in Iowa scoring more points than its opponents. No flash here, and little dash.

Adapting to the scrutiny of living and working in a mighty small Eastern Iowa fishbowl and embracing the community is no small feat, either.

Last edited:
1. Iowa State - no lofty expectations

ISU fired their most successful coach of all time 3 years ago.

I think you need a natural recruiting base to be Top 5 and I think the first post was pretty close. Michigan deserves consideration. Florida is located in the best state and best conference which makes it #1. I also think Georgia is the #2 SEC job.

ND used to be a great job becasue it was the only true national school. ESPN has made all the programs mentioned above 'national' schools and this has diluted ND's natural advantage. Now it is a good job with unrealistic fan expectations.

1-Texas- Weather is great.
2-Florida- Weather is great.
3-LSU- Weather is great.
4-USC- Weather is great.
5-Alabama- Weather is great.

Ok, just tired of the cold already....Would put some Big Ten schools in there but fact is it's hard to convince a guy from the south to come north.

I'd say Iowa is very comparable to an Oregon or a Oklahoma State job. In my opinion, somewhere in between #15 and #20.

As far as top 5:
1 - Texas
2 - USC
3 - Florida
4 - Bama
5 - fOSU

Don't compare Iowa to Okie St. Okie state has never won the Big 12, never made a BCS bowl, I don't know if they have ever won 10 games?

Second class citizen in their own state, with a fan base that doesn't even compare to Iowa. The only thing OSU has on Iowa is T Boone Pickens.

In my opinion, from a head coaching job standpoint, I'd put Iowa in the lower 2nd tier/upper 3rd tier. This is right where I would put Oregon/Okie State as well.

I'm not talking BCS games, conference championships, or number of games won, I'm talking prestige of the head coaching job.

With their admission standards, Notre Dame is not a better job. God can't even help Notre Dame, or at least doesn't want to.

God has better things to do than help Notre Dame win.

God gives people the tools, but it's up to people to use them to the fullest extent possible to reach their full potential.

In my opinion, from a head coaching job standpoint, I'd put Iowa in the lower 2nd tier/upper 3rd tier. This is right where I would put Oregon/Okie State as well.

I'm not talking BCS games, conference championships, or number of games won, I'm talking prestige of the head coaching job.

If you are just talking purely coaching, Iowa is much better than OSU too, because pay would be the first factor for a coach. Plus, Iowa has a better tradition than OSU too, which would factor in to ease of winning. Iowa is the 4th best job in the Big 10. Behind OSU, Michigan and PSU.

If you were a football coach with no family ties to worry about, what would you rank as the top 5 football jobs in college? (excluding Iowa)

1. Florida ~ best recruiting base in America.
2. Texas ~ 2nd biggest recruiting base.
3. USC ~ location and tradition.
4. Ohio St. ~ The mecca of high school football in the north.
5. Penn St.~ Assuming you do not have to follow JoPa
unbelievable Hawkeye6 - i had the same five programs.

Florida - Top dog in Florida
Texas - Top dog in Texas
USC - Top dog in California
Ohio State - only major program in Ohio (sorry Cincinnati)
Penn State - major program in talent laden state (plus close to NYC/NJ)

I agree Iowa is a better job than Ok St. Boone Pickens and his $$$ aren't going to make them #1 in what is an average size state.

I agree Oregon & Wisc are comparable to Iowa and would throw in Arkansas as well.

If you are just talking purely coaching, Iowa is much better than OSU too, because pay would be the first factor for a coach. Plus, Iowa has a better tradition than OSU too, which would factor in to ease of winning. Iowa is the 4th best job in the Big 10. Behind OSU, Michigan and PSU.

Hey, hey. I know one person that might disagree with you on this one. And he does a great job explaining it:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkKch-CAlgM"]YouTube- Mike Gundy - Im A Man Im Forty, Come After Me[/ame]

God has better things to do than help Notre Dame win.

God gives people the tools, but it's up to people to use them to the fullest extent possible to reach their full potential.

I must apologize,
I was just taking a jab at ND, I am not sure what god wants, I am pretty sure you don't know either. I guess you are talking about free will, pretty convenient.

Latest posts