Top 5 Coaching Canidates

1st off, those are terrible canidates and would be no better than what we have now with KF..2nd If iowa based their coaching search on what fans like who, theyd never find the right guy. So saying you dont like bret bielema, for whatever reason is foolish. BB would be a home run hire and would get fans in kinnick again, he has already proven that be can recruit, and win in the bigten, and at a school that is very similar to iowa. He would get big physical players, much like Fry used to get. iowa would have a coach who is aggressive and is not afraid to take chances to win. If that's not a perfect fit for iowa, then I dont know who is. I honestly dont trust any other coach, besides bret bielema.

And plus hed run up the score on Iowa state, and wouls most likely have a winning record against them. Dont you want that also?

I don't understand the Bob Stoops love, if he can no longer win at an elite football power like Oklahoma, why would anyone think that he can win here?

Bielema, on the other hand, had Wisconsin playing on an elite level, recruiting the same base as Iowa. He went after those corn-fed linemen, and then brought in speed and talent from across the country. And he had some dynamic offenses. Then he goes down to Arkansas and is resurrecting their program.

Yes, Stoops won a NC early in his career, but not with his recruits. They've been headed downhill since.

nevermind that beatdown of Bama 2 years ago... Last year was a wtf season for OU. He's got another year or 2 to get it worked out. Stoops has OU administration by the balls it seems like.

nevermind that beatdown of Bama 2 years ago... Last year was a wtf season for OU. He's got another year or 2 to get it worked out. Stoops has OU administration by the balls it seems like.

Oh well, even some of the worst programs in the country can occasionally beat better programs: (ISU vs OK St, or Ia St vs Iowa). That's football.

Why does the next coach have to have ties to Iowa? Is our tradition so great that we can't look outside the program? Because I disagree with that.
Well for me its because they have been here and understand Iowa Hawkeye football. They understand our rivals, the game day atmosphere, why not to change the uniform, ect.... I want someone with a bridge to the Hayden Fry coaching tree. Who better to sell a product or beginning product than that of one who played there, learned how to coach from a legend there, someone who has ties there. God this is a stupid question to have to answer. Because the Hayden football coaching tree is absolute, its a proven product compared to a nobody from nowhere who never herd of a football team running onto the field holding hands. That's why, yes Tradition is correct, because just like in the military, here in Iowa we take care of our own and who would understand the fans, University and the tradition better than one of them. You say go out side the tree, No Sir, I say to you! We must stay in that tree.

Why does the next coach have to have ties to Iowa? Is our tradition so great that we can't look outside the program? Because I disagree with that.

Agree...........I think Iowa ties and experience has value but not as the steering mechanism behind a search. The Fry tree is slowly disappearing and I can't think of any off the top of my head from the Ferentz era that are budding stars ready for a Power 5 head coaching position.

I've offered the Doeren name before and since ran across this article that gave a thorough look. Article written before the season ended and he finished 8-5 this season which represented one of the strongest turnarounds in NC State history. If he has another year of improvement I would guess bigger programs than Iowa will come hunting.

http://mgoblog.com/diaries/coaching-candidate-dave-doeren-too-soon-evaluate-one-keep-eye

And Greg Davis was part of a national title team. Who cares....Oklahoma fans are sick of Stoops. You must have missed their bowl game against Clemson. What has Stoops done since that game? Nothing....And that bowl game was one that Bama didn't even care about.

Well for me its because they have been here and understand Iowa Hawkeye football. They understand our rivals, the game day atmosphere, why not to change the uniform, ect.... I want someone with a bridge to the Hayden Fry coaching tree. Who better to sell a product or beginning product than that of one who played there, learned how to coach from a legend there, someone who has ties there. God this is a stupid question to have to answer. Because the Hayden football coaching tree is absolute, its a proven product compared to a nobody from nowhere who never herd of a football team running onto the field holding hands. That's why, yes Tradition is correct, because just like in the military, here in Iowa we take care of our own and who would understand the fans, University and the tradition better than one of them. You say go out side the tree, No Sir, I say to you! We must stay in that tree.

Is Iowa football different from other football? Isn't part of the problem that people are sick of what Ferentz thinks "Iowa football" is?

If you want Iowa to be something more than it is/has been, I don't see the wisdom of making sure we always look backwards to figure out what our future is going to be.

And Greg Davis was part of a national title team. Who cares....Oklahoma fans are sick of Stoops. You must have missed their bowl game against Clemson. What has Stoops done since that game? Nothing....And that bowl game was one that Bama didn't even care about.

You really think Oklahoma cared about the Citrus bowl anymore than Bama did when they played the Sooners? Yes, they are mad about the season but Stoops has a lot more coaching equity built up with those fans than Kirk does with the Iowa fans. If Stoops were to come to Iowa, he would be a great hire.

I'm sure glad you weren't calling the shots when we were hiring Hayden Fry!

I don't understand the Bob Stoops love, if he can no longer win at an elite football power like Oklahoma, why would anyone think that he can win here?

Bielema, on the other hand, had Wisconsin playing on an elite level, recruiting the same base as Iowa. He went after those corn-fed linemen, and then brought in speed and talent from across the country. And he had some dynamic offenses. Then he goes down to Arkansas and is resurrecting their program.

Yes, Stoops won a NC early in his career, but not with his recruits. They've been headed downhill since.

They beat Alabama last year.

You really think Oklahoma cared about the Citrus bowl anymore than Bama did when they played the Sooners? Yes, they are mad about the season but Stoops has a lot more coaching equity built up with those fans than Kirk does with the Iowa fans. If Stoops were to come to Iowa, he would be a great hire.

what makes you think he can win here? He will get better recruits at Oklahoma and he can't win there.

Ihawks61, Remember "that tree" gave us KF.... 1.5+ decades of mediocrity with a couple shining moments.

Ihawks61, Remember "that tree" gave us KF.... 1.5+ decades of mediocrity with a couple shining moments.

I understand the past few years have been underwhelming, frustrating for EVERYONE, and I fully understand the current talking points that some are working from, but is the following from the Fry/Ferentz 36 years really settling for, or achieving mediocrity?

- bowl eligible 27 of the past 36 years (invited 26 times- more than Wisky, more than Sparty, one behind PSU)
- finishing below .500 in conference play only 8 times in 36 years
- ranked 15 of 36 years at the end of the year
- going 263-175-6 over the past 36 years
- virtually all home games at or near capacity

I know stats can be parsed anyway we want them, but there are a lot of mediocre programs that would like to trade places.

And for the love of everyone's sanity - Mark Stoops? Paid Ferentz money for two years of HC experience and a whopping 7 wins? Come on fellow Hawk fans/posters.

Lets keep living in the past. Bowl eligibility means nothing anymore. Haven't been ranked in 5 years, below .500 record the last 3 years at home, recruiting is awful and trending downward. The entire program is trending downward. No cavalry is coming either. Let's not change though, we're little ole Iowa and we might do worse.

Lets keep living in the past. Bowl eligibility means nothing anymore. Haven't been ranked in 5 years, below .500 record the last 3 years at home, recruiting is awful and trending downward. The entire program is trending downward. No cavalry is coming either. Let's not change though, we're little ole Iowa and we might do worse.

You clearly glossed over the EVERYONE, and TALKING POINTS . Nothing that has occurred in the last 4 decades speaks to being little ole Iowa...unless thats what you've lathered yourself into believing.

Now get back to the ******... We want the 3.5 win per season coach with two years of experience... But he is an excitable screamer, and he was on an Iowa team(didn't play really), and he has a good family name

Latest posts