Top 5 Coaching Canidates

Ihawks61

1 Mark Stoops. 2. Bob Stoops 3. Bob Diaco 4. Jim Leavitt 5. Jay Norvell Screw BB I never like him!!!!!

Mark Stoops just finished his 2nd year as U of Kentucky's coach. He was quoted as saying "I want to show my commitment. If you know anything about myself, about my family, past history, whether it be with my brothers or different people, loyalty's a pretty big thing with us, and I certainly feel the loyalty to this program." He just got his contract re-worked to pay him $3.5 million. 1st Head Coaching job - he' not going anywhere.

Bob Stoops isn't going to leave Oklahoma, at least not yet.

Bob Diaco just finished his 1st year as Head Coach at U of Connecticut. 1st HC job, he's locked down for several years.

Jim Leavitt was fired by South Florida for choking and smacking around a player & lying about it. Not sure he's a good fit for Iowa.

Jay Norvell was just fired as DC at Oklahoma. Never been a Head Coach & is extremely young.

I can't see Iowa landing any of these candidates if the position were to open this year. BB's locked in at Arkansas too. It's going to take $5 million or more per year to draw any serious candidate to Iowa unless they go the young upcoming coach route and that's a very risky proposition that could set the program back many years.

I would take Bret Bielema in a second. If you are a hawkeye fan and you say different, you have a brain injury of some sort....or your super old. He would be what iowa needs.

Anytime I read a post or an article about coaches that says "he ain't goin anywhere" I chuckle to myself.

Mark Stoops just finished his 2nd year as U of Kentucky's coach. He was quoted as saying "I want to show my commitment. If you know anything about myself, about my family, past history, whether it be with my brothers or different people, loyalty's a pretty big thing with us, and I certainly feel the loyalty to this program." He just got his contract re-worked to pay him $3.5 million. 1st Head Coaching job - he' not going anywhere.

Bob Stoops isn't going to leave Oklahoma, at least not yet.

Bob Diaco just finished his 1st year as Head Coach at U of Connecticut. 1st HC job, he's locked down for several years.

Jim Leavitt was fired by South Florida for choking and smacking around a player & lying about it. Not sure he's a good fit for Iowa.

Jay Norvell was just fired as DC at Oklahoma. Never been a Head Coach & is extremely young.

I can't see Iowa landing any of these candidates if the position were to open this year. BB's locked in at Arkansas too. It's going to take $5 million or more per year to draw any serious candidate to Iowa unless they go the young upcoming coach route and that's a very risky proposition that could set the program back many years.

Loyalty and signed contracts often don't amount to a bucket of spit in this business. If the right opportunity comes up, most coaches will take it.

Thing is, Kirk's coming back next year and probably in '16 as well so it's all moot.

Loyalty and signed contracts often don't amount to a bucket of spit in this business. If the right opportunity comes up, most coaches will take it.

Thing is, Kirk's coming back next year and probably in '16 as well so it's all moot.

Agreed. Every coach is "committed" to the job they currently have, until they aren't.

I'm not sure how long KF will be our coach, but all indications are that he will be back next year for sure. Beyond that, his future looks pretty murky.

Too bad Mark wasn't quoted as saying "this job is fine and all, but I'm kinda hoping something better comes along". Then I would think the possibility was there to bring him in.

I have ZERO interest in any of those guys except Bobby Stoops.

If Feb 1 rolls around and there is no head coach news then KF is staying one more year.

I have ZERO interest in any of those guys except Bobby Stoops. If Feb 1 rolls around and there is no head coach news then KF is staying one more year.
Why ZERO interest? Are you thinking we can pull something better? Maybe Lane Kiffin?

If Feb 1 rolls around and there is no head coach news then KF is staying one more year.

Oklahoma is regressing. What makes you think Iowa will improve if he can't win in the lousy big 12? The big 12 got housed in their bowl games outside of TCU.

Why does the next coach have to have ties to Iowa? Is our tradition so great that we can't look outside the program? Because I disagree with that.

I don't understand the Bob Stoops love, if he can no longer win at an elite football power like Oklahoma, why would anyone think that he can win here?

Bielema, on the other hand, had Wisconsin playing on an elite level, recruiting the same base as Iowa. He went after those corn-fed linemen, and then brought in speed and talent from across the country. And he had some dynamic offenses. Then he goes down to Arkansas and is resurrecting their program.

Yes, Stoops won a NC early in his career, but not with his recruits. They've been headed downhill since.

Last edited:

Latest posts