Too bad Mark May didn't catch Sandusky in the act.

What about the people who freeze, but then follow up that shock by doing the right thing after that, on their own accord? Those people aren't total fails of human beings. They're human. Which is why I separate the in-actions. It's his inaction after the shock wore off that I condemn him for. Good people don't do nothing for 9 years. Plenty of good people would freeze and make the wrong choice on a snap decision.

I think you're right. I still think that many people wouldn't freeze and stop the child from being raped. Having said that, the GA would have redeemed himself in some way if he had taken a forceful stand after the fact and got involved in stopping this predator.

Unfortunately, he didn't. He took a nice coaching job at his beloved PSU, and continued to see Sandusky lurk...

Mark May is really on to something. Along with his thoughts that the entire PSU coaching staff be fired and tomorrow's game be cancelled, lets take the scholarships away from the current PSU team. Then let's kick Pennsylvania out of the union. Why stop there? Kick Nebraska out too since the bugeaters had the gall to show up to play and didn't boycott.

The emotions stirred by these wicked crimes are starting to rot people's minds. The people responsible are the ones who need to be judged by a jury and punished if/when found guilty. Not those judged guilty by association by creepy media types on ESPN.

It was nice to see some fire from someone who has a solid reputation in the world of college sports. Lou Holtz was too busy covering his own butt to properly call out the people involved. Hell, even Herbstreit came up short. He rambled for 10 minutes and said nothing. He talked about the victims (important and needed!) but he also stopped short of harsh criticism. Mark May rocked. He was angry, pointed and essentially said they were all cowards who put PSU football ahead of the welfare of children. He might have gotten a bit carried away at the end but he had the cajones to stand up and say what was right.

It doesn't matter who the pedophile is, you get the kid away from him or die trying.

Agreed.

Here's another possibility I hadn't considered at first but is perfectly plausible based on what I've learned in dealing with child sex abuse victims: early in his involvement with PSU, McQueary engaged in some sort of illicit activity with Sandusky, probably under the influence of alcohol, pot or drugs, and thus was numbed to what he saw. Even if not of a sexual nature, Sandusky did special "favors" for a special new (and young) member of the Penn State family. That's how pedophiles and predators work.

I have no idea whether that happened; just offering an opinion on what could have happened to discourage McQueary from acting when he saw what was happening in the shower.

Agreed.

Here's another possibility I hadn't considered at first but is perfectly plausible based on what I've learned in dealing with child sex abuse victims: early in his involvement with PSU, McQueary engaged in some sort of illicit activity with Sandusky, probably under the influence of alcohol, pot or drugs, and thus was numbed to what he saw. Even if not of a sexual nature, Sandusky did special "favors" for a special new (and young) member of the Penn State family. That's how pedophiles and predators work.

I have no idea whether that happened; just offering an opinion on what could have happened to discourage McQueary from acting when he saw what was happening in the shower.

Or Sandusky abused McQueary while he was growing up. McQueary is from State College and was friends with Sandusky's kids growing up.

I can understand his inaction on the spot. I'm sure if you'd asked him in 2001 (or hell, even 5 minutes before he witnessed the crime), he would have said that in a situation like that, he'd have beaten the hell of a guy who was doing that. Anyone would. We want to believe we'd do the right thing.

In that moment, it's usually not a matter of knowing what the right thing is. It's a matter of having the guts to do it. And a lot more people don't have the guts for it...even if they'd like to. A lot more people would freeze than those people would care to admit/believe. I've not faced anything even remotely like this, so I don't know to a certainty what I would do in that moment. I hope I wouldn't freeze. But I don't know that I wouldn't.

But as far as NEVER going to the cops, and looking Sandusky in the eye for 9 years and knowing what he did...that's completely unconscionable.

Thank you. I'm getting a little tired of reading all the chest thumping about this (not just on this board, but everywhere). Everyone is convinced that they would've intervened (and I'm sure in many cases they would have). It sort of reminds me of someone saying they'd DEFINITELY chase down a purse snatcher or CERTAINLY call the police when they hear the clear sounds of domestic violence next door. In reality, though, you don't know what you would do unless you're in that situation.

Everybody KNOWS the right thing to do. The hard part is having the courage to do it.

Thank you. I'm getting a little tired of reading all the chest thumping about this (not just on this board, but everywhere). Everyone is convinced that they would've intervened (and I'm sure in many cases they would have). It sort of reminds me of someone saying they'd DEFINITELY chase down a purse snatcher or CERTAINLY call the police when they hear the clear sounds of domestic violence next door. In reality, though, you don't know what you would do unless you're in that situation.

Everybody KNOWS the right thing to do. The hard part is having the courage to do it.

Nope, I've already discredited this line of thinking HH. But I'll repeat myself. McQueary would have intervened if he had A. not known who was doing the sodomizing(a stranger) or B. if he had known the little boy(if he was a relative or friend). Oh but Eddy how do you know this? I know it and you know it. So the reason he did not act was based on this specific circumstance involving a coach he knew and a little boy who he didn't. And we aren't talking about chasing down a purse snatcher we are talking about protecting a child. Two entirely different things. How you just walk away from that is beyond me.

Nope, I've already discredited this line of thinking HH. But I'll repeat myself. McQueary would have intervened if he had A. not known who was doing the sodomizing(a stranger) or B. if he had known the little boy(if he was a relative or friend). Oh but Eddy how do you know this? I know it and you know it.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, and I'm not sure why you bring this up in response to anything I said.

So the reason he did not act was based on this specific circumstance involving a coach he knew and a little boy who he didn't. And we aren't talking about chasing down a purse snatcher we are talking about protecting a child. Two entirely different things. How you just walk away from that is beyond me.

I don't understand it, either. And yet, people do it all the time, even when they know better. This is just another example.

Like I said, bravery vs. cowardice.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, and I'm not sure why you bring this up in response to anything I said.

I don't understand it, either. And yet, people do it all the time, even when they know better. This is just another example.

Like I said, bravery vs. cowardice.

It isn't even about bravery to me it is about common sense. How brave do you have to be to stand there and tell the kid to get dressed you are coming with me? You don't have to do anything to Sandusky just walk out with the kid and take a ride to the police station. This isn't that difficult.

It isn't even about bravery to me it is about common sense. How brave do you have to be to stand there and tell the kid to get dressed you are coming with me? You don't have to do anything to Sandusky just walk out with the kid and take a ride to the police station. This isn't that difficult.

it's about bravery and being shocked out of your mind. had it been a complete stranger, he'd probably have taken action.

this was the heir apparent to jopa - both men saintly figures in PA and especially at PSU. McQuery being a resident of that small college town is certainly close to these guys, and holds them in high reverence given their status in town AND working for them.

can you imagine walking into a shower situation and seeing that in front of you? it would totally freak you out, given the person involved.

i don't fault him at all for not taking immediate action, but his association afterwards is creepy and not calling authorities afterwards is also a fail.

everyone can say what they'd do, but to actually be in that situation with people of that significance is a totally different scenario.

I think you're right. I still think that many people wouldn't freeze and stop the child from being raped. Having said that, the GA would have redeemed himself in some way if he had taken a forceful stand after the fact and got involved in stopping this predator.

Unfortunately, he didn't. He took a nice coaching job at his beloved PSU, and continued to see Sandusky lurk...

And the fact that he did nothing after that moment to redeem himself is what makes him a pathetic human being, IMO. He spent 9 years pretending it never happened.

it's about bravery and being shocked out of your mind. had it been a complete stranger, he'd probably have taken action.

this was the heir apparent to jopa - both men saintly figures in PA and especially at PSU. McQuery being a resident of that small college town is certainly close to these guys, and holds them in high reverence given their status in town AND working for them.

can you imagine walking into a shower situation and seeing that in front of you? it would totally freak you out, given the person involved.

i don't fault him at all for not taking immediate action, but his association afterwards is creepy and not calling authorities afterwards is also a fail.

everyone can say what they'd do, but to actually be in that situation with people of that significance is a totally different scenario.

I've heard the arguments and we'll have to agree to disagree. I have a 10 year old and would like to think a grown man would step in and protect him no matter who it was.

I am hoping somehow that this horrible ordeal will result in more adults who refuse to ignore the signs of abuse when they see them. Sort of like since 9/11 - able boded passengers have acted multiple times to recognize and subdue potential dipsh!t terrorists and other flight disrupters.
I know I've been a lot more aware when I fly, and it's obvious others are too. Maybe the same thing will come of this sh!tstorm?

No. Sandusky was the heir apparent in 1998 then he was removed from his position and not allowed to be with children on campus. McQuery witnessed the rape in 2002 a time when, presumably, even seeing Sandusky in the company of a minor in any capacity would raise eyebrows if not be grounds to confront him on the spot let alone seeing him in a shower, at night, nude, having anal intercourse with a 10 year old boy.

No. Sandusky was the heir apparent in 1998 then he was removed from his position and not allowed to be with children on campus. McQuery witnessed the rape in 2002 a time when, presumably, even seeing Sandusky in the company of a minor in any capacity would raise eyebrows if not be grounds to confront him on the spot let alone seeing him in a shower, at night, nude, having anal intercourse with a 10 year old boy.

he was still the heir apparent - growing up in the PSU community. i know he was then not employed, but surely Sandusky was still Sandusky.

this is not like seeing some complete stranger roughing someone up.

this is the 2nd coming (at one time) to the Penn State throne. 2nd to Joe. Joe was treated like an idol - a literal idol - see the student reax after he got fired.

this would just stun the mind. blow it up. yeah, it's easy to say and fairly convenient to say you'd go kick his ***, but this is a pretty special circumstance.

i'd like to think i'd do what Mark May is saying and many would agree, but not sure in that situation.

If your 10 year old was getting roughed up by some complete stranger in a random passing by me - yeah, i'm pretty confident i'd take care of business in that situation.

McQuery's situation - being McQuery - where he grew up, how he grew up, who he played for, who he worked for - he had been around these guys for years. that would be something else to walk into. So who really knows how you'd react - if you can imagine being yourself in that circumstance with all what factors in factored in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ank, I understand what you're saying, but I think you're still slicing it too thin (overthinking). There is right and there is wrong, and both are easily recognizable irrespective of time, place, people, etc.
McQueary walked in on a grotesque wrong and in a split second, turned and fled because in his heart he is a frightened coward.
There really is no other explanation. He failed. When that little boy most needed a hero, McQueary was a goat.
So sad.

Well I can tell you I have had an experience. Where my now, wife was assaulted in her dorm by a perv. Nothing too serious it could have been that had no one been around, however it was enough for me to find him and shove my knee in his face. However, those types of things do tend to get your in a little trouble, like two weeks in the clink. So I feel like I did the right thing protecting someone I love, but the law saw it as an act of violence on my part and thousands in legal bills. SO I think I can safely say if I was there and saw it I would probably at least made sure the kids was protected. I'm sure others have been tested in life enough to know themselves. So don't assume knobody knows what they would have done. Like one poster said the hesitation would been in how far to take it.

It's about common sense and a sense of common decency. There are obviously those of us who would intervene in a child molestation without a moments hesitation. Apparently there are some that aren't quite sure they are capable of doing the right thing in the fury of the moment. Let's all hope they never witness a child molestation.

Latest posts