Tony Perkins to Mizzou

This is dumb even by your standards.

That's quite evident.

Go to a game at Creighton once. Absolutely great "fan experience." Raucous fans, great arena in a terrific spot, easy to get in/out, way nicer views, student section is 11 rows deep on the full baseline, way better food options, dual concourses, multiple entry levels. More than ample parking. Nightlife everywhere within a couple minutes walk...you can get to restaurants, bars, every kind of food you could imagine from sushi, bar food, expensive steakhouses, the Mattress Factory is a great sports bar similar to the Vine...literally hundreds of places for any fan young, old, rowdy, or boring within a 5 minute walk from the stadium. The Capitol District and Old Market are right out the front door with 30-40 options each of places to go. The front street access to CHI is a city block long and getting an Uber/Lyft isn't congested at all. @InGoodCo will verify all of that.

But keep on spewing your opinion that because you're in your 80s and don't like change and improvements, nobody else should either. Sorry, but you apparently haven't seen a good "fan experience" and don't have anything to compare it to. And aside from all that, it's no coincidence that it doesn't play a huge part in the success and recruiting wins that Creighton has had. Progress and change are bad, right??

No matter where you put a new arena, as long as there's better access and amenities, the nightlife and attractions will follow post haste. UoI campus between railroad tracks, a bunch of trees, and a baseball field ain't that place. Put the thing near the 218/380 interchange and watch that area just blow up into a bustling spot, and leave CHA to the wrestlers.
You sure can be an a**hole, Fry. I am done with your accusations about my age. Spewing opinions, often claimed as facts, is your specialty. Dont like change? You have no idea how much change has been a huge part of my life, and has made me very successful and a better person. How you can “spew” a lot of your garbage is the bigger question.

I confirmed up front that I have little experience with other bb venues, so don’t try to jump on that train. I am sure Creighton is great. As to fan experiences: You ain’t even in my ball park.

So. Want an example of fan experience ? OK. The old field house was so loud your ears hurt. Always sold out. The seating and sight lines were horrible. Crowded entry and exit. Pee in a filthy trough. I have no memory of concessions. So in spite of having to walk up hill both ways in the dark of winter, with no bars, restaurants, parking, shuttles, the Miller and Lute days were another universe. Too bad you young guys missed it!

One more time on the age insults, and I am out of here. The last time you and I had a problem, you proudly announced that the inconvenience caused by reactions to Covid should be eliminated and that the older population had already experienced their better years and could just die. Yup. You said that.

I believe there have been feasibility studies for areas adjacent to downtown in the past. But I'm guessing these were all based on models in the 15,000 seat capacity, with corresponding requirements for parking.

Anyone know if any feasibility studies have been done for a 6,000 to 7,000 seat arena closer to downtown? I would think that might require a significantly smaller footprint. I'm sure it would still be incredibly difficult, but like I've said in the past, I think it could be an amazing attraction for downtown Iowa City, something that could be a shared partnership, and represent a bridge between the university and community.

You'd think the $100M in annual tv money could grease the skids a bit, too.
The thing is, downtown IC ain't all that. I say put it somewhere on the edge of town and let a new district sprout up around it. Somewhere with easy, high-volume access to 218 or 380 and gobs of parking. Put a student section next to the floor, free pizza and admission to students, and suites for the rich pricks so the proles can have better seating without all the blue hairs falling asleep or reading Louis L'Amour novels in the 4th quarter.

The thing is, downtown IC ain't all that. I say put it somewhere on the edge of town and let a new district sprout up around it. Somewhere with easy, high-volume access to 218 or 380 and gobs of parking. Put a student section next to the floor, free pizza and admission to students, and suites for the rich pricks so the proles can have better seating without all the blue hairs falling asleep or reading Louis L'Amour novels in the 4th quarter.
That might be the most realistic option. I think closer to downtown would be the best for catering to students, though. And in my opinion, if you get the students there, everything else will take care of itself. It will be a great atmosphere and a hot ticket.

It's a new era, or has been for awhile. Games are at odd times and different days. People are bigger homebodies than they used to be. I don't think you can count on as many people driving from a ways out for a weeknight game than you could in past decades.

What if a new arena was 7,000 seats? Could you regularly get 2,000 students there if located close to downtown? Does that type of footprint (only 5,000 non-students) make adjacent to downtown somewhat feasible?

You sure can be an a**hole, Fry. I am done with your accusations about my age. Spewing opinions, often claimed as facts, is your specialty. Dont like change? You have no idea how much change has been a huge part of my life, and has made me very successful and a better person. How you can “spew” a lot of your garbage is the bigger question.

I confirmed up front that I have little experience with other bb venues, so don’t try to jump on that train. I am sure Creighton is great. As to fan experiences: You ain’t even in my ball park.

So. Want an example of fan experience ? OK. The old field house was so loud your ears hurt. Always sold out. The seating and sight lines were horrible. Crowded entry and exit. Pee in a filthy trough. I have no memory of concessions. So in spite of having to walk up hill both ways in the dark of winter, with no bars, restaurants, parking, shuttles, the Miller and Lute days were another universe. Too bad you young guys missed it!

One more time on the age insults, and I am out of here. The last time you and I had a problem, you proudly announced that the inconvenience caused by reactions to Covid should be eliminated and that the older population had already experienced their better years and could just die. Yup. You said that.
Iowa basketball was fun from the 70s to the 90s, and if you saw Ralph live, you're double lucky.

The people that grew up in the late 60s and after want different things and more luxurious environments.

Crowding onto a stinky noisy Cambus surrounded by three farting drunk freshmen is not a positive experience, for anyone. Upon arrival/deliverance from Cambus food options are Pizza Hut, soft serve and inconsistently cooked hot dogs. You have to apply your own condiments from a gross table with coagulating M & K. Today's customer expects some amenities in the venue, and quick pedestrian access to quality food and of course, beer and distilled spirits. The absence of those elements are a huge problem for CHA's location in 2024.

When were young we have almost all good memories of the world you described, but there was nothing against which to compare it. Like the rural people all over Iowa that lacked access indoor plumbing and even modern septic systems had not come along their road yet.

I was at the last game played in the Fieldhouse and the first in CHA. I've gotten nostalgic and even I recognize the need for a new arena, preferably within 2 blocks of "downtown."

Last edited:
Iowa basketball was fun from the 70s to the 90s, and if you saw Ralph live, you're double lucky.

The people that grew up in the late 60s and after are a different want different things and more luxurious environments.

Crowding onto a stinky noisy Cambus surrounded by three farting drunk freshmen is not a positive experience, for anyone. Upon arrival/deliverance from Cambus food options are Pizza Hut, soft serve and inconsistently cooked hot dogs. You have to apply your own condiments from a gross table with coagulating M & K. Today's customer expects some amenities in the venue, and quick pedestrian access to quality food and of course, beer and distilled spirits. The absence of those elements are a huge problem for CHA's location in 2024.

When were young we have almost all good memories of the world you described, but there was nothing against which to compare it. Like the rural people all over Iowa that lacked access indoor plumbing and even modern septic systems had not come along their road yet.

I was at the last game played in the Fieldhouse and the first in CHA. I've gotten nostalgic and even I recognize the need for a new arena, preferably within 2 blocks of "downtown."
Good stuff.

Latest posts