Tony Perkins to Mizzou

So this is NIL $ tied to collectives I would assume? Not other 3rd party companies. But are we talking about maintaining NCAA eligibility or what? Cause as far as I'm concerned kids have always been able to earn $ with parental consent. I'll be curious to see what that's all about.

For a law to say now that a HS kid can go make $ seems odd. Cause yeah we always have... Regardless of being a recruited college athlete with LOI offer. Or does it have to be signed by the kid? Which is so lame cause those things are reengaged on all the time. I'll probably look into that more cause I have more questions then anything about it
I have a bunch of thoughts I'll post tonight; I'm at work and don't have the time atm.

Not that anything I say has shit to do with anything, lol.

I have a bunch of thoughts I'll post tonight; I'm at work and don't have the time atm.

Not that anything I say has shit to do with anything, lol.
No, its so they can sign NIL and still be eligible to play high school ball. High school kids cannot get paid to play a sport and still be amatuer. Or I guess that used to be the case.

I cannot wait until the first 8th grade BB phenom signs his first Nike deal and then plays 4 years of high school driving a Lambo to school. This whole thing is bonkers, but as my Dad used to say, "Many people have a lot more money than brains."

I would have respected Tony a lot more if he just owned up to the fact that he is 22 and this might be the most money he ever makes playing BB. I don't blame him at all and I hope he got all he could get. But, if it aint about money, why spend your final year with a team that is rebuilding after a dumpster fire? Come on.

I would have respected Tony a lot more if he just owned up to the fact that he is 22 and this might be the most money he ever makes playing BB. I don't blame him at all and I hope he got all he could get. But, if it aint about money, why spend your final year with a team that is rebuilding after a dumpster fire? Come on.
Aren't most basketball teams in the same boat? Meaning they face major roster turnover each and every year? If the payroll is large, shouldn't be an issue.

I'm not sure how else you can use a player like him. He could drive the lane and get short pull up jumpers whenever he wanted. Some games he would do it at will and make them all. Some games he would do it at will and miss them all. Some games he wouldn't even try to do it. Maybe he wants to be used as a defensive stopper. That's the only thing I can think of.

The inconsistency hurt Tony especially in one and done situations.

Someone mentioned to me that maybe he left Iowa for different reasons but signed it Missouri for the money. I hadn't thought about that possibility but I makes sense.

Someone mentioned to me that maybe he left Iowa for different reasons but signed it Missouri for the money. I hadn't thought about that possibility but I makes sense.
The whole thing seems odd with both him and Patrick leaving. Maybe it’s not complicated at all and they both just wanted a change of scenery.

The other option if there is one is totally head scratching. This would be an indication of some conflict with in the program. Maybe some backbiting going on. Possibly unhappy players feeling that special treatment is going on and some players not liking it. That’s total speculation on my part. It’s just so odd to see a coach’s son leaving in his last year of eligibility. Then that is combined with his good friend leaving and as he is going out the door he says it’s not about money…………… hmmmm???

If Tony hadn’t said what he did then I would have gone with my first assumption about a change of scenery. Tony’s comment is significant. It speaks of issues going on behind the scenes. Something is going on for sure.

I'm not sure how else you can use a player like him. He could drive the lane and get short pull up jumpers whenever he wanted. Some games he would do it at will and make them all. Some games he would do it at will and miss them all. Some games he wouldn't even try to do it. Maybe he wants to be used as a defensive stopper. That's the only thing I can think of.

When he was healthy, at best, he was an average on-the-ball defender, when he wasn’t, he sucked. His best attribute was getting into the lane and getting buckets or getting to the the free throw line. I’m not throwing shade at Perk because Iowa doesn’t have anyone on their current roster that can get into the lane and get buckets. I know their is a lot love for Harding among the fan base, but he will not be able to do that on a consistent bases and Dix will not be able to do it either.

When he was healthy, at best, he was an average on-the-ball defender, when he wasn’t, he sucked. His best attribute was getting into the lane and getting buckets or getting to the the free throw line. I’m not throwing shade at Perk because Iowa doesn’t have anyone on their current roster that can get into the lane and get buckets. I know their is a lot love for Harding among the fan base, but he will not be able to do that on a consistent bases and Dix will not be able to do it either.
Oh man I bet that's it! Perkins said we will see in November why he left. We are probably going to see that Harding and Dix are lights out and there was no room for him on the team! Ok now I feel better about all of this.

Oh man I bet that's it! Perkins said we will see in November why he left. We are probably going to see that Harding and Dix are lights out and there was no room for him on the team! Ok now I feel better about all of this.

Sarcasm? I can’t really tell if you are being a smart ass or not. It is a message board so I am just throwing out thoughts and/or opinions.

Does Missouri have more NIL $ than Iowa? Patrick -- If you remember his Big Ten media day interview, he said it is hard playing for your father, the coach. What that family has been thru, maybe better he has that change of scenery. It's about more than basketball.

Maybe the Mizzou coach has convinced him the Tigers are gonna be a juggernaut beginning next November, and he's going to be the catalyst who becomes as popular as Caitlan Clark and he'll get tons of commercial endorsements and appear on the cover of Sports Illustrated.
(OK, dated myself with that last reference!)

The whole thing seems odd with both him and Patrick leaving. Maybe it’s not complicated at all and they both just wanted a change of scenery.

The other option if there is one is totally head scratching. This would be an indication of some conflict with in the program. Maybe some backbiting going on. Possibly unhappy players feeling that special treatment is going on and some players not liking it. That’s total speculation on my part. It’s just so odd to see a coach’s son leaving in his last year of eligibility. Then that is combined with his good friend leaving and as he is going out the door he says it’s not about money…………… hmmmm???

If Tony hadn’t said what he did then I would have gone with my first assumption about a change of scenery. Tony’s comment is significant. It speaks of issues going on behind the scenes. Something is going on for sure.
When its an extra fifth year of eligibility it seems less concerning to me, they've done their four year commitment and want a change of scenery.

Yeah cause in this case two things can't be true at the same time. What Fran said didn't seem like an insinuation. He threw out the $500k number with the intent of it being the reason why Tony is gone. Tony pretty much just denied that. Something has to give.... Him choosing Mizzu of all places where they aren't chasing a trophy is odd. At least when Moss left for Kansas it made sense. He was a missing piece role player. By Tony choosing Mizzu how he did and then denying it was about $ just leaves us with more questions then answers.

Maybe it is the lack of fan support. Half empty Carver. Coaching and player criticism, considering who he is close to.
I am sure there were many reasons that played into his decision. It may be as simple as he played out his time at Iowa and needed a different scene for his final year. I am confident that was the case for PM. Sometimes, you just know it is time to move on and try something different.

That said, don't pretend money was not part of the equation. The fact that Fran made a public statement about how much Tony was worth and that Iowa could not afford to keep him speaks volumes as to the discussions that the coaches had with Tony. If money had nothing to do with it and TP left for non-financial reasons, than Fran's statement was unfair.

Again, I don't blame him for chasing a big payday. I just don't see why he needs to run from doing just that.

Latest posts