TOM 8/20 national rankings

I have no idea who Brands has his eyes on in the next recruiting class & what effect Schwab will have on recruitment in the Northern part of Iowa, especially Waverly. I'd love to see the Weatherman family have come to IC but it seems as though they are going to continue to be clones. Being a former Go-Hawk, I'd like to see Krumweide & Caldwell as Hawks. DeVos, I won't be upset if he isn't a Hawk, I can't get his sobfest in '09 on the podium at the State Championship out of my head.

Does anyone have any idea who we are in the running for outside of the state of Iowa? We made some nice inroads on the East Coast last year, does Cael get some momentum going on the Coast?

#7 @ 140 Elijah Sullivan,formerly of Council Bluffs is said to attending Iowa City West now.

Incredible if true. I still think that Reiland should be hired as a recruiter as he is proven to be the best high school recruiter in the State!

Last edited:
Reiland does a great job getting the in-state kids but Caldwell has the northern border locked up @ WSR (Devos)

Incredible if true. I still think that Reiland should be hired as a recruiter as he is proven to be the best high school recruiter in the State!

Pretty healthy accusation you make there. Any proof he recruits these kids? Been a couple high profile transfers this off season. Couple haven't made the boards yet from what I understand.

I heard this all of the time with Apple Valley and Owatonna while in Minnesota. The coaches are very careful not to do anything illegal. Do parents and other students make an effort to get kids they meet over the summers to come to their school, very possibly. If the coaches made the effort some people would have you believe they do, the state would be investigating the next week.
Success breeds success. Kids with college goals see a room with a lot better competition and want to be part of it to get better and, in some cases, to get a better shot at being noticed. I'm not a huge fan of it myself as I'd like to see different teams competing year in year out but this is the world we live in.

What impresses me is the schools that continue to succeed year after year compared to a Ballard who had it rolling huge just 2 years ago and now, it seems, has lost a lot of kids recently to transferring out. I'll be curious how DT is in 5 years or so.

As far as wrestlers transferring from out of state to an Iowa high school the main reason I can think of is because there aren't any full ride scholarships to wrestlers so in some situations they transfer here for the last year or two of high shcool and therefore establish residency. In state tuition is much cheaper than out of state tuition so if they get a 1/3 scholarship they would obviously have much less to pay on their own if they are an Iowa resident and know they want to go to Iowa, UNI, or ISU. I think the ones that already are going to an Iowa high shcool and transfer to a different one are obviously doing it to better themselves in the practice room. The ones transferring from out of state may be partly for the competition but I would think more so for the savings on tuition costs when they go to college. This could definitely explain the ones that transfer to say Bettendorf and Dav Assumption from just the other side of the river I think. I could be way off but I'm sure there is some of this going on.

Some providers also offer regular savings accounts for children that come with restrictions on the maximum and minimum amounts that can be invested each month. They usually have a restriction on the number of withdrawals, which if exceeded can mean a dramatic drop in the rate of interest paid or even that the savings account has to be closed. A certain number of monthly payments also have to be made into these savings accounts each year to prevent loss of interest or closure.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Interest On Savings

Pretty healthy accusation you make there. Any proof he recruits these kids? Been a couple high profile transfers this off season. Couple haven't made the boards yet from what I understand.

Whether or not he actively recruits them is neither here nor there.

103- unranked Iowa City West
112- unranked Iowa City West
119- 6 Kegan Wakefield (Iowa City West) SO Illinois, Iowa City High
125- 1 Jack Hathaway (Iowa City West) JR Centerville; moved out of state and came back to Iowa City West
130- 4 Dakota Bauer (Iowa City West) JR West Delaware to Linn Mar to Prairie to Oskaloosa to Waverly to Ballard back to Waverly taking offers from Denver, over to ICW.
135- 1 Gradey Gambrall (Iowa City West) JR Iowa City High
140- 6 Garrett Hathaway (Iowa City West) SR Centerville; moved out of state and came back to Iowa City West
145- 2 Elijah Sullivan (Iowa City West) SR Lewis Central
152- 1 Brit Thompson (Iowa City West) SR Montana
160- 1 Justin Koethe (Iowa City West) JR Adel DeSoto
171- unranked Iowa City West
189- 6 Mickey Pelfrey (Iowa City West) SO Newton
215- 7 A.J. Bailey (Iowa City West) JR Iowa City West
HWT- 6 Max Pelfrey (Iowa City West) SR Newton

I got this from another site, it was before the season so some of the weights and rankings are wrong for sure.

Also, I started a thread a month ago that no one replied to, so I ask again: When did high school wrestling in Iowa City die? City High isn't very good right now, and Iowa City West minus the move-ins (are you happy I didn't say recruits MNhawk?) is terrible.

Last edited:

125- 1 Jack Hathaway (Iowa City West) JR Centerville; moved out of state and came back to Iowa City West
130- 4 Dakota Bauer (Iowa City West) JR West Delaware to Linn Mar to Prairie to Oskaloosa to Waverly to Ballard back to Waverly taking offers from Denver, over to ICW.
140- 6 Garrett Hathaway (Iowa City West) SR Centerville; moved out of state and came back to Iowa City West

I got this from another site, it was before the season so some of the weights and rankings are wrong for sure.

Also, I started a thread a month ago that no one replied to, so I ask again: When did high school wrestling in Iowa City die? City High isn't very good right now, and Iowa City West minus the move-ins (are you happy I didn't say recruits MNhawk?) is terrible.

I seem to remember plenty of conversations accusing City High of the same things that West is accused of today. Not saying IC wrestling hasn't fallen off, just saying there are those that would say there has always been in a move-in (yes I did like that you didn't say recruits) factor.

I seem to remember plenty of conversations accusing City High of the same things that West is accused of today. Not saying IC wrestling hasn't fallen off, just saying there are those that would say there has always been in a move-in (yes I did like that you didn't say recruits) factor.

& I always like to remind my friends that City High won at least 1 bball champ & 1 football champ due to the Derby Bros transferring from West to City...

QUOTE]

103- unranked Iowa City West--AJ Bailey's sister is wrestling 103. I think that her name is Jasmine?

112- unranked Iowa City West--Phil Laux was in the West line-up on Thursday night. I believe he is nationally ranked at 103? Heard that he transferred away from West, but was on the team.

From what I have been told, is that there is a parent on the West team that works very hard to get some of these kids to come to West.

QUOTE]

103- unranked Iowa City West--AJ Bailey's sister is wrestling 103. I think that her name is Jasmine?

112- unranked Iowa City West--Phil Laux was in the West line-up on Thursday night. I believe he is nationally ranked at 103? Heard that he transferred away from West, but was on the team.

From what I have been told, is that there is a parent on the West team that works very hard to get some of these kids to come to West.

I'd guess there is more than one parent in a lot of these towns. That said, imagine being a young kid who is good and wrestling and wanting to specialize in it (another thing I'm not a huge fan of but certainly understand). Off season wrestling you want the best competition you can find to better yourself and you live 60 miles away (or somewhere close to that) and you train there during the summer. You're going to make friends, your new friends and training partners are certainly going to encourage you to come there full time. Tell you how good you'll make the team, how much better you'll become training with them everyday, how much fun they'll have, etc. etc. Everything important to a kid.
What kid isn't going to get swept up some in that and notice the improvement they see over the course of the training?
What I'm saying is you don't nesc. need a coach or a parent to "recruit" kids. The desire to win, be the best, and be with others with similar goals and aspirations is enough for a lot of them to make a decision on their own.

Latest posts