Told ya So

Fran’s weakness has always been defense. Over and over and over again Nebraska players drove right to the front of the rim. This is why we can never get past the second round in the NCAA tournament. By the time you get to the second round most teams can play on both sides of the court, BUT NOT IOWA!!! Fran has decided to put all his chips on the offensive side of the court.
They did some of getting to the front of the rim, but giving up 14-26 from 3, to a below-average shooting team that is playing on the road, is criminal...

Iowa finished 5th in a season most publications had 9th or higher and after losing the best shooter in the history of the program and a top 5 NBA pick.

I am pissy about yesterday's game as well, but sometimes a little prospective is needed.

Solid season for Iowa in what should have been a rebuild type of year. Get in the dance and anything can happen.

That's my expectation. Dance or bust. Make it, I give you another year, miss it, there better be a good reason for it and there better be plenty of hope moving forward.

Barring Fran stays at Iowa, I am plenty excited about the programs future. Being good enough to dance every season is something I've grown quite accustomed to again as an Iowa fan. Keep that up and I'll continue to support it.

We have some really good players coming in and I think Iowa will do well in the portal moving forward. They have a lot to sell.

Rebuilding starts next season with some Solid recruits coming on board

Lots of crazy shit on this thread. I believe Fran has finished in the top half of the big ten 10 of the 11 years. That's really hard to do. This will be 5 straight NCAA tourneys. I don't think any other Iowa coach has ever done that. So also damn hard to do.

Maybe more than anything else, he plays a super entertaining up-tempo style. Plus he seems to recruit nice kids who buy into sharing the ball and the playing as a team thing - fun guys to cheer for.

Aren't you entertained?

If Iowa made a switch to a coach with a half court, defensive style, he better have Iowa winning conference championships. I think folks sometimes forget how spoiled we've been with a consistent program that plays up tempo.

Lots of crazy shit on this thread. I believe Fran has finished in the top half of the big ten 10 of the 11 years. That's really hard to do. This will be 5 straight NCAA tourneys. I don't think any other Iowa coach has ever done that. So also damn hard to do.

Maybe more than anything else, he plays a super entertaining up-tempo style. Plus he seems to recruit nice kids who buy into sharing the ball and the playing as a team thing - fun guys to cheer for.

Aren't you entertained?

If Iowa made a switch to a coach with a half court, defensive style, he better have Iowa winning conference championships. I think folks sometimes forget how spoiled we've been with a consistent program that plays up tempo.
If Fran had the exact resume with one sweet 16 appearance, there would be nothing to complain about at all. Of course they all still would. Honestly his conference record the last 5 years has to be close to the best 5 year run ever at Iowa. His Big 10 tournament record was bad. But that was mostly because his 3 good teams with Woody all went 1 and done. But since then, that record has been good too. You can't even complain about his round of 64 record because that's pretty good too. Literally the only thing he hasn't done good with in getting to the sweet 16. In my opinion that's an Iowa curse that was along well before Fran showed up.

Aren't you entertained?

Lute had five straight and counting when he bailed for Arizona. And he had a couple other teams in the Cal Wulfesberg/Bruce King era that missed then but would get in easily today.

I for one never took a win today for granted at all. It was the last game of the season and nothing about this season gave me any clue what was going to happen next game.

There was no excuse for this loss. Last game at home for several players and a second seed on the line. If that don’t get you pumped up then there is something wrong with you. Should have won by twenty points going away. Is this their tune up for the NCAA tourney because this is the crap mentality they bring to the floor when they lose in the NCAA tourney. They all play like they got a hangover.

Good to see the old Patrick back in the first half. I was so happy for him. I hope next year is a monster year for him.

If Fran had the exact resume with one sweet 16 appearance, there would be nothing to complain about at all. Of course they all still would. Honestly his conference record the last 5 years has to be close to the best 5 year run ever at Iowa. His Big 10 tournament record was bad. But that was mostly because his 3 good teams with Woody all went 1 and done. But since then, that record has been good too. You can't even complain about his round of 64 record because that's pretty good too. Literally the only thing he hasn't done good with in getting to the sweet 16. In my opinion that's an Iowa curse that was along well before Fran showed up.

Can’t argue with several points as they are legit. Fran just needs to figure it out when the Big Lights go on in March.

Lute had five straight and counting when he bailed for Arizona. And he had a couple other teams in the Cal Wulfesberg/Bruce King era that missed then but would get in easily today.

I just looked up Lutes best win loss record over five consecutive years and it was between 1978- 1983 at 106 wins and 43 losses. I think that is approximately 11 or 12 losses less than Fran’s best five consecutive years.

Then Lute went on to build a national power in Arizona and yes win a National Championship Arizona. He would have had one at Iowa if Ronnie Lester wouldn’t have gotten hurt during their final four run. If you didn’t play defense for Lute you sat your ass on the bench!!!

Aren't you entertained?

Absolutely a great summary of Fran’s tenure.

There was no excuse for this loss. Last game at home for several players and a second seed on the line. If that don’t get you pumped up then there is something wrong with you. Should have won by twenty points going away. Is this their tune up for the NCAA tourney because this is the crap mentality they bring to the floor when they lose in the NCAA tourney. They all play like they got a hangover.

Good to see the old Patrick back in the first half. I was so happy for him. I hope next year is a monster year for him.
Not being able to hit a shot and your opponents shooting lights out on contested shots is always an excuse in basketball because it can happen at any time and there's not much you can do about it. Unfortunately, that's not what happened here. Nebraska got wide open 3 after wide open 3 because we kept doubling their big guy for some weird reason and the rotations were lazy as hell.

Not being able to hit a shot and your opponents shooting lights out on contested shots is always an excuse in basketball because it can happen at any time and there's not much you can do about it. Unfortunately, that's not what happened here. Nebraska got wide open 3 after wide open 3 because we kept doubling their big guy for some weird reason and the rotations were lazy as hell.
Lazy as hell perimeter rotations are TM by Fran.

Iowa should expect nothing more than a medal though!

Fran having to remind his teams to put their hands up on defense in the NCAA tournament, got a chuckle out of me.

I respect Fran but his NCAA record is pathetic, there is no spinning it…