Told ya So

Bunch of idiocy in this thread. Like there’s someone a lot better than Fran just drooling to come to Iowa. LOL.

What a load of stupidity. Iowa sports and basketball in particular are right where they’ve always been since Raveling left. It ain’t changing except for a possibly lucky season here or there. You guys wanting to go full nebraska and get rid of one of the most objectively best coaches this team has ever had are looney. You guys are seriously great entertainment.

Let’s play musical coaches!! The next Lick is primed and ready!

I think it is more frustration than idiocy. I disagree that we are where we have been since Raveling left, despite the variety of opinions over Mr. Davis, we did reach the 2nd weekend in the dance on occasion. We went through our coaching merry go round to achieve the "next level". And that, I think, is the main source of frustration. It has been a net loss since. But I do agree that the next Lick is primed and ready, and a change will achieve only a regression- Iowa is not a destination job, and with the B1G expansion, the odds are increasingly NOT in our favor.

But, as long suffering fans, we have a right to vent our frustrations. Misery loves company as they say..........still, just once, maybe, can we not have a little glimpse of glory that isn't immediately followed by a resounding crash (queue bass drum and cymbal effect)?

I think it is more frustration than idiocy.
I disagree when the sentiment is get rid of Fran.

The people who say, "Well, you can't find a better coach if you don't try" crowd are the same people who say you can't win the lottery if you don't play. It's ignorance at best and stupidity at worst.

..........still, just once, maybe, can we not have a little glimpse of glory that isn't immediately followed by a resounding crash (queue bass drum and cymbal effect)?
Not at Iowa. That's what people can't seem to figure out.

Maybe it's made worse by the fact that Iowa is at the upper end of the middle of the bell curve because we make little runs of success in basketball and football once in a while as opposed to the Minnesotas and NWs of the world.

Nevertheless, Iowa is in the bulge of the bell curve and that's where we're gonna be. It's like going outside every morning and getting pissed off and yelling because the sky is blue again.

Since absolutely nothing has been done to fix the offense in football you cannot expect anything to be done to fix men's basketball. Go Iowa Women!!

I knew I didn't want to open this thread as it would make me dumber for having read it, but here I am.

All that is missing from this "I hate everything and change ALWAYS leads to improvement" thread is an effort to hijack the discussion for the 784th time to discuss how terrible Brian Ferentz is at his job. Will C. is warming up for such an effort.

Doubt if many other coaches could have got further with this team. Lack of depth, too reliant on outside shooting.

There are flaws on this roster and finishing tied for fifth isn't bad considering said flaws.
Further.. maybe. Worse...maybe.

Fran isn't a great situational coach seen by not isolating certain players from getting the ball late on an inbound down by 3. He is also not a great fundamental coach.

Also rewatched parts of it. Nebraska packed in the middle and flew at our perimeter shooters. Hawks lazily went to 3 shooters and at times seemed resigned. All but particularly Perk and Conner kind of half heartedly went past the shooter. If you aren't contesting hard, you close the out and Iowa chose not to do that. That is especially on the coach.

It's a tight game. A few successes here and there being fundamentally sound makes a difference.

Since absolutely nothing has been done to fix the offense in football you cannot expect anything to be done to fix men's basketball. Go Iowa Women!!
Iowa women have the same issue with all offense and no defense. It's just masked more when you have the best offensive player in the game. Perhaps the history of the game.

We go thru this yearly with the football program too.

Side 1: We are at or above the typical success levels Iowa has historically had and trying to hit the next level isn’t possible at Iowa and the next guy could be way worse. The biggest example of this is firing Davis for Alford which sent the bb team in the crapper for a very long time. Alford was a complete piece of shit who got jobs because he had hair like Pitino.

Side 2: While were in a low population state we have a ton of money and are in the premier conference in sports. We should go for broke and hire the hottest up and coming coach to get us to the next level. This has never been done in football and in basketball see above.

I agree with #1 for basketball. Recruiting in basketball is so much dirtier than football and you have to fully commit being in the muck of the AAU system to be a title contender.

I agree with #1 for basketball. Recruiting in basketball is so much dirtier than football and you have to fully commit being in the muck of the AAU system to be a title contender.
I don't think we can call it dirtier anymore. It's pretty much all legal now.

I take a little different view of Fran. I think he is a darn good coach. Especially for Iowa. Like previously mentioned, I see very few coaches jumping at this job. Fran has taken this team a lot farther than most. I get frustrated with defense and play at times like the next.

We did not shoot well in the second half. We didn't make free throws. We had open looks, and we had a big margin on the offensive boards. Besides PMac, who played well? Murray, scored 20+ points, but his shooting percentage was atrocious.

We seem to have these games from time to time. We either are firing on all cylinders are we look like a dumpster fire. But I cannot lay blame on Fran for all this. We make our free throws and make a few shots and we win that game yesterday.

just peeking in on the Basketball forum. I only watch a few games each year. For some reason I'm just not attached to basketball like I am football.

And I'm glad. It aint worth it.

I just don't expect iowa basket ball to be that special. I was pleased and surprised that they won the B1G tournament last year but face it that is rare.

I expect this team to be exiting the NCAA by week 2.

I'm reminded of the old air raid Texas Tech football teams ... all offense... no defense and when they play a good solid team, they loose. And they only win sometime because when they're not shooting great...well... er..

Iowa finished 5th in a season most publications had 9th or higher and after losing the best shooter in the history of the program and a top 5 NBA pick.

I am pissy about yesterday's game as well, but sometimes a little prospective is needed.

Solid season for Iowa in what should have been a rebuild type of year. Get in the dance and anything can happen.

That's my expectation. Dance or bust. Make it, I give you another year, miss it, there better be a good reason for it and there better be plenty of hope moving forward.

Barring Fran stays at Iowa, I am plenty excited about the programs future. Being good enough to dance every season is something I've grown quite accustomed to again as an Iowa fan. Keep that up and I'll continue to support it.

We have some really good players coming in and I think Iowa will do well in the portal moving forward. They have a lot to sell.

A lot of this thread is the type of overreaction that I expected when I came to the board today. "No defense", "we always get disappointed", etc. This is a good team, not a great team. There are flaws and games like yesterday's happen. Look at the B1G this year. Happened to everyone, even Purdue at the end.

I thought our defense was at least decent yesterday against Nebraska with some letdowns. But they absolutely shot the lights out. I would bet they couldn't match that performance again. I was astounded at some of the threes they were hitting when we were in their face. I have to give some credit to them. They played some pretty good ball over the past month if you've been paying attention.

I thought Kris shot too many threes. He wasn't hitting and I wished he would have driven the ball and either gotten a better shot or passed out after drawing the defense. His three point shots weren't falling but he kept firing away.

This is a team that is highly dependent on hitting shots. When we are successful at it, we are pretty good. When we have days like yesterday, we tend to struggle.

What's ahead? I wish I knew. But the inconsistency that this team has played with suggests our B1G and NCAA tournaments could be up and down. And there's no tomorrow when you have a bad day. I just don't think this team is built for a long NCAA run. That said, I think Fran has gotten pretty close to the maximum with the talent that he has.

just peeking in on the Basketball forum. I only watch a few games each year. For some reason I'm just not attached to basketball like I am football.

And I'm glad. It aint worth it.

I just don't expect iowa basket ball to be that special. I was pleased and surprised that they won the B1G tournament last year but face it that is rare.

I expect this team to be exiting the NCAA by week 2.
You're missing out man. Getting to watch two games every week during the shittiest time of year. Hell with woman's basketball I find myelself looking forward to four games per week now.

Iowa finished 5th in a season most publications had 9th or higher and after losing the best shooter in the history of the program and a top 5 NBA pick.

I am pissy about yesterday's game as well, but sometimes a little prospective is needed.

Solid season for Iowa in what should have been a rebuild type of year. Get in the dance and anything can happen.

That's my expectation. Dance or bust. Make it, I give you another year, miss it, there better be a good reason for it and there better be plenty of hope moving forward.

Barring Fran stays at Iowa, I am plenty excited about the programs future. Being good enough to dance every season is something I've grown quite accustomed to again as an Iowa fan. Keep that up and I'll continue to support it.

We have some really good players coming in and I think Iowa will do well in the portal moving forward. They have a lot to sell.
Good point about needing hope for next year when we miss the tournament. The last time Fran missed the tournament after making 3 in a row, we had a really young team that finished strong. It gave us hope for the future. Of course, that year was followed by a terrible year to dash all hope. Then just when all hope is lost, Fran turns it around and hasn't missed a tournament since. This will be 5 in a row. But if Fran would have missed this year, hope would have been pretty bleak for the future.

Latest posts