To rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawkeyesgonewild

You have done a hell of good job reporting this problem with the football team. However I am torn about this. My two daughters are mixed race .i have seen them crying when parents would not let their kids play together because of race. I have been in black community they told me to get out I don't belong sad. Then the football players want to back them up which I do. But I'm sorry I can't take a knee during the national anthum. My brother died during the first Gulf war. My father-in-law fought in world war 2. So what I'm saying the flag means a lot to me. I back the football 100 percent. Keep your head up Rob you are doing the right thing.

You have done a hell of good job reporting this problem with the football team. However I am torn about this. My two daughters are mixed race .i have seen them crying when parents would not let their kids play together because of race. I have been in black community they told me to get out I don't belong sad. Then the football players want to back them up which I do. But I'm sorry I can't take a knee during the national anthum. My brother died during the first Gulf war. My father-in-law fought in world war 2. So what I'm saying the flag means a lot to me. I back the football 100 percent. Keep your head up Rob you are doing the right thing.

I would like to thank your family for their service and sacrifice. Your brother and father-in-law both fought to preserve our rights to responsibly and peacefully disagree with each other. They fought to preserve the only country known in the universe that allows this to the degree that America does. Disrespecting the flag and national anthem is not "protesting" it is simply disrespect; no more and no less.

I would like to thank your family for their service and sacrifice. Your brother and father-in-law both fought to preserve our rights to responsibly and peacefully disagree with each other. They fought to preserve the only country known in the universe that allows this to the degree that America does. Disrespecting the flag and national anthem is not "protesting" it is simply disrespect; no more and no less.
That is how a lot of folks see it too. I don't understand why those that are all about the protesting of it don't get it that it's not about what their intent is. It's not. It's about how those folks think about it when they see it happening. It's their opinion. It's like not taking your hat off when you enter someone elses home. Or beginning to eat before who prepared the meal has sat down. They look at those kinds of things as disrespectful regardless of the intent of who's doing it....

Thank you for sharing your story. I appreciate the service of your family members and am sorry for your loss.

What I wrote a few weeks ago is that the players should be allowed to make up their own minds on what to do during the anthem. If you feel like standing because of what you feel the flag represents, stand. If you feel like kneeling because of how you feel about what the flag represents, then kneel. And if players kneeling offends you to the point that you no longer support them, they have said they're OK with you walking away.

Thinking that you can get more than 100 players to agree on what to do or think alike on this topic is naive, IMO.

That is how a lot of folks see it too. I don't understand why those that are all about the protesting of it don't get it that it's not about what their intent is. It's not. It's about how those folks think about it when they see it happening. It's their opinion. It's like not taking your hat off when you enter someone elses home. Or beginning to eat before who prepared the meal has sat down. They look at those kinds of things as disrespectful regardless of the intent of who's doing it....

wow...you got it. it's as simple as having manners.

Thank you for sharing your story. I appreciate the service of your family members and am sorry for your loss.

What I wrote a few weeks ago is that the players should be allowed to make up their own minds on what to do during the anthem. If you feel like standing because of what you feel the flag represents, stand. If you feel like kneeling because of how you feel about what the flag represents, then kneel. And if players kneeling offends you to the point that you no longer support them, they have said they're OK with you walking away.

Thinking that you can get more than 100 players to agree on what to do or think alike on this topic is naive, IMO.

rob, those who are against kneeling view exactly how the person viewed coach gundy's OAN t-shirt, but you're all for that to play out with gundy having to apologize. why can't the kneelers be made to apologize?

How is taking a knee during the national anthem a sign of disrespect? Given he's taken a knee, but isn't talking to others, bouncing back and fourth making gestures to the crowd, etc... It's a protest, yes but disrespectful? How is taking a knee any worse than the guy that refuses to take off their hat or the elderly fan that managed to walk all the way to their seats yet can't find it in themselves to stand up, or the fans in line at the concession stand or walking to their seats that ignore the anthem and carry about their business. The flag and anthem are inanimate objects/symbols that are incapable of having feelings. The "disrespect" is an interpreted trait as it is based on perception and the ideals of those witnessing the act. So I don't see how they are disrespecting it by simply honoring or reflecting in a different matter to draw attention to a different cause. They aren't burning it, or spitting on it, or degrading it.

Both my parents are veterans that fought for this country and if someone chooses to take a knee during the anthem as a sign of protest I don't see it as a slight to my parents or any other individuals that fought for this great nation. So I guess I see those that simply ignore it or fail to acknowledge it as being the disrespectful ones.

How is taking a knee during the national anthem a sign of disrespect? Given he's taken a knee, but isn't talking to others, bouncing back and fourth making gestures to the crowd, etc... It's a protest, yes but disrespectful? How is taking a knee any worse than the guy that refuses to take off their hat or the elderly fan that managed to walk all the way to their seats yet can't find it in themselves to stand up, or the fans in line at the concession stand or walking to their seats that ignore the anthem and carry about their business. The flag and anthem are inanimate objects/symbols that are incapable of having feelings. The "disrespect" is an interpreted trait as it is based on perception and the ideals of those witnessing the act. So I don't see how they are disrespecting it by simply honoring or reflecting in a different matter to draw attention to a different cause. They aren't burning it, or spitting on it, or degrading it.

Both my parents are veterans that fought for this country and if someone chooses to take a knee during the anthem as a sign of protest I don't see it as a slight to my parents or any other individuals that fought for this great nation. So I guess I see those that simply ignore it or fail to acknowledge it as being the disrespectful ones.

kneeling for the national anthem is either a direct message that you do not care what the anthem represents, or, not having an understanding of it. America is an imperfect place. the world is an imperfect place. but America is the nation that has done, is doing, will do more than any other place on earth to find equality. the national anthem represents that. by definition, a protest is "against" something. so if you consider kneeling for the national anthem as a protest, then it is a protest against what the national anthem stands for. and protesting what the national anthem stands for is a sign of disrespect.

pro•test prə-tĕst′, prō-, prō′tĕst″

• intransitive verb
    To express a strong objection to (something).
  • intransitive verb
    To participate in a public demonstration in opposition to (something): synonym: object.

rob, those who are against kneeling view exactly how the person viewed coach gundy's OAN t-shirt, but you're all for that to play out with gundy having to apologize. why can't the kneelers be made to apologize?
@RobHowe said multiple time he doesn’t care what Gundy does.

kneeling for the national anthem is either a direct message that you do not care what the anthem represents, or, not having an understanding of it. America is an imperfect place. the world is an imperfect place. but America is the nation that has done, is doing, will do more than any other place on earth to find equality. the national anthem represents that. by definition, a protest is "against" something. so if you consider kneeling for the national anthem as a protest, then it is a protest against what the national anthem stands for. and protesting what the national anthem stands for is a sign of disrespect.

pro•test prə-tĕst′, prō-, prō′tĕst″

• intransitive verb
    To express a strong objection to (something).
  • intransitive verb
    To participate in a public demonstration in opposition to (something): synonym: object.
Lol. Then stand. No one’s forcing you to kneel.

And just like you’re crying about Gundy being “forced” to apologize, you’re all for black players being forced to stand, huh?

Here's the deal. Gundy can wear the shirt and not apologize. How do you think that ends?

Likewise, if the Iowa players kneel for the anthem and don't apologize for it, how does that end? What would you like KF to do?

How bout we just get rid of the national anthem? That would piss both sides off, and being the miscreant I am would find it hilarious.

How bout we just get rid of the national anthem? That would piss both sides off, and being the miscreant I am would find it hilarious.
That's where it's almost heading too... Is it some law that says it has to be? I highly doubt there could be such a thing. NCAA thing? Conference rule or school to school rule?

That's where it's almost heading too... Is it some law that says it has to be? I highly doubt there could be such a thing. NCAA thing? Conference rule or school to school rule?
It’d be the funniest damn thing in history. One side would flip out because the anthem didn’t get to play, and the other side would be pissed because they didn’t get to protest.

Well it's an opinion. There's no ultra 100% everyone is right or wrong about it. Even though both sides are trying to tell the other that it is... I would compare it to the abortion topic. To some it's flat out murder to others they don't see it that way. Good luck changing someones mind once it's made up on that. Be it something one is taught or just through time and life experiences and thinking for themselves we all generate our own.

Here's the deal. Gundy can wear the shirt and not apologize. How do you think that ends?

Likewise, if the Iowa players kneel for the anthem and don't apologize for it, how does that end? What would you like KF to do?

straw man, rob. i'm asking you. you're the one who wrote that (paraphrase) it's about time people listen to someone else's story. well, that works both ways, rob. you can't answer my question with a question and some sort of vague mumbling.

you've made a professional career based on the 1st amendment and good for you. but every single citizen of this country has the same right to that amendment and should not be forced to apologize for utilizing it.

you do agree with that, right?

straw man, rob. i'm asking you. you're the one who wrote that (paraphrase) it's about time people listen to someone else's story. well, that works both ways, rob. you can't answer my question with a question and some sort of vague mumbling.

you've made a professional career based on the 1st amendment and good for you. but every single citizen of this country has the same right to that amendment and should not be forced to apologize for utilizing it.

Who forced him to apologize and not wear the shirt anymore? Did the school threaten to fire him?

You're confusing people being mad and ganging up on someone over preventing them from speaking or making a statement.

Not the same thing.

If it were, what would be your basis and evidence for a lawsuit? Because if someone'e 1st Amendment rights have been violated there are by definition grounds for a lawsuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.