To and From Hawkeye Football and Basketball Games

HuckFinn

I have read a lot of negatives with regard to attendance at Iowa games. To each his own, of course. Thought I would share some personal experiences. To put this in context, I turn 78 in a few weeks and just received a thank you from Iowa athletic dept.for my 25 consecutive years of I Club donations. No. I am not one of the deep pocket guys. Retired educator. Do the math.

Basketball is simple. I park at Hancher. I get on the Cambus. I ride 10 minutes to CHA and get dropped off literally at the West door. Post game I get in line, wait about 5 minutes to board the Cambus, and take the 15 minute ride to Hancher. On the road immediately. Done deal. BTW, long time season ticket. 25/rows up, aisle seat, mid court opposite Iowa bench. Kicks ass. $425 season ticket, ton of games. And, I think CHA is a great venue. I know. It is a lot of fun on HN to piss and moan about our venue. Get a life.

Football. I heeded the apocalyptic warning about spending hours in traffic. So: I zipped through the I 380/80 interchange around 8:30 a.m. Skipped usual exit on 1st Ave in Coralville and proceeded to Dubuque St. crossed the bridge toward Hancher, continued on to Rocky Shore Drive, through the light to Lot 75 and parked at my leisure. Arrival at 9:00 a.m. Had my coffee and read a couple of chapters in my latest novel. 10:00 a.m., walked to the north end zone and my seat and watched warmups for 45 minutes as usual.

Post game: Took a golf cart offering back to lot 75. Too hot to walk. 10 minutes later, left my parking space and 10 minutes after that arrived at George’s Buffet and had three pints of PBR since they were out of
Shiner Bock. No worries. Watched the Badger game. Returned to my motel in CR. Light traffic, laughing at the idiots who thought they had to drive 35 mph over the limit as NASCAR pretenders on 380. Dumb asses.

Sports Bar across the street from my hotel has a good pork tenderloin and cold beer on tap.
So. Whine around about how much better it is to sit in your recliner, complain about the traffic, since you don’t know how to negotiate the route, and miss the Kinnick experience and CHA BT basketball.

In the meantime, I will continue my in person experience until I am pushing up daises. Sorry you missed a great experience!

I have read a lot of negatives with regard to attendance at Iowa games. To each his own, of course. Thought I would share some personal experiences. To put this in context, I turn 78 in a few weeks and just received a thank you from Iowa athletic dept.for my 25 consecutive years of I Club donations. No. I am not one of the deep pocket guys. Retired educator. Do the math.

Basketball is simple. I park at Hancher. I get on the Cambus. I ride 10 minutes to CHA and get dropped off literally at the West door. Post game I get in line, wait about 5 minutes to board the Cambus, and take the 15 minute ride to Hancher. On the road immediately. Done deal. BTW, long time season ticket. 25/rows up, aisle seat, mid court opposite Iowa bench. Kicks ass. $425 season ticket, ton of games. And, I think CHA is a great venue. I know. It is a lot of fun on HN to piss and moan about our venue. Get a life.

Football. I heeded the apocalyptic warning about spending hours in traffic. So: I zipped through the I 380/80 interchange around 8:30 a.m. Skipped usual exit on 1st Ave in Coralville and proceeded to Dubuque St. crossed the bridge toward Hancher, continued on to Rocky Shore Drive, through the light to Lot 75 and parked at my leisure. Arrival at 9:00 a.m. Had my coffee and read a couple of chapters in my latest novel. 10:00 a.m., walked to the north end zone and my seat and watched warmups for 45 minutes as usual.

Post game: Took a golf cart offering back to lot 75. Too hot to walk. 10 minutes later, left my parking space and 10 minutes after that arrived at George’s Buffet and had three pints of PBR since they were out of
Shiner Bock. No worries. Watched the Badger game. Returned to my motel in CR. Light traffic, laughing at the idiots who thought they had to drive 35 mph over the limit as NASCAR pretenders on 380. Dumb asses.

Sports Bar across the street from my hotel has a good pork tenderloin and cold beer on tap.
So. Whine around about how much better it is to sit in your recliner, complain about the traffic, since you don’t know how to negotiate the route, and miss the Kinnick experience and CHA BT basketball.

In the meantime, I will continue my in person experience until I am pushing up daises. Sorry you missed a great experience!

Good read. Where's George's Buffet?

Latest posts