tired of college basketball officials

To be honest I don't give a crap whether the call was right or wrong.

The sportsmanship of these coaches has reached an all time low. I get it that this is all about the $$ and the affect winning/losing can have on coaches and their program but these college coaches cross the line on almost every game.

It's time for officials to take back control. Talking about a call here and there... Certainly acceptable. However, debating every single call is over the top and uncalled for and needs to be addressed in my opinion.

I think the fear is that if these officials get a bad rep, they will lose their spot.

I doubt it is about money at this point for Boeheim. Maybe he just wants to win or to have his players get a fair shot at winning?

They are a good team, but in almost every case they have to win by 10 or more to overcome the officiating and put it out of range. I posted the stats earlier all but 1 big 10 win by 10 points or more, all non wins by 7 points or less. Something is not right here and I want to get to the bottom of this. It is unfair to ask a team to overcome such a handicapped imposed on them.

I doubt it is about money at this point for Boeheim. Maybe he just wants to win or to have his players get a fair shot at winning?

You're talking about 1 specific event... I'm talking in general and yes it's always abou the money. College Athletics is a business.

Why don't you volunteer at a local Youth bball tournament, put on a striped shirt and a whistle and tell me how easy it is...

Let alone D1 athletes.

You have no clue. Don't judge til you try it.

I always love the "you think you could do better?" retorts. It's 100% irrelevant whether *I* or anyone else on these boards could do better.

The entire arena, the announcers, and coaching staff can see these blown/missed calls, while none of the three officials down on the court cannot?

Sorry, but the officiating has been atrocious.

They are a good team, but in almost every case they have to win by 10 or more to overcome the officiating and put it out of range. I posted the stats earlier all but 1 big 10 win by 10 points or more, all non wins by 7 points or less. Something is not right here and I want to get to the bottom of this. It is unfair to ask a team to overcome such a handicapped imposed on them.

Good luck with proving your point with this statistical analysis.

I always love the "you think you could do better?" retorts. It's 100% irrelevant whether *I* or anyone else on these boards could do better.

The entire arena, the announcers, and coaching staff can see these blown/missed calls, while none of the three officials down on the court cannot?

Sorry, but the officiating has been atrocious.

Let me tell you from my little officiating experience.... it's a lot easier to make the calls from your living room that is on the floor.

And the whole 3 officials seeing it is nonsense. If you understood anything about officiating you would know that there ar every few instances in which all 3 officials would have an eye on the same part of the court.

There is a lot of area to cover on a basketball floor and thus the reason for having 3 officials so you can watch the off the ball action.

You're talking about 1 specific event... I'm talking in general and yes it's always abou the money. College Athletics is a business.

A coach's sideline demeanor is not always about the money. It just isn't.

I know it is cool to say things are always about the money, but it's not always true when it comes to the coaches.

Let me tell you from my little officiating experience.... it's a lot easier to make the calls from your living room that is on the floor.

And the whole 3 officials seeing it is nonsense. If you understood anything about officiating you would know that there ar every few instances in which all 3 officials would have an eye on the same part of the court.

There is a lot of area to cover on a basketball floor and thus the reason for having 3 officials so you can watch the off the ball action.

I agree, but you CANNOT have Mike Kitts calling a flop against Aaron White and then another official call a block on the McCabe play. The inconsistency is what is so maddening. The McCabe block call was the correct call by that official, but then you have another official, during the same game calling a completely different game.

I agree, but you CANNOT have Mike Kitts calling a flop against Aaron White and then another official call a block on the McCabe play. The inconsistency is what is so maddening. The McCabe block call was the correct call by that official, but then you have another official, during the same game calling a completely different game.

I understand where you're coming from.... but what I think is hard for those that don't officiate to understand is how difficult it is to be consistent.

These guys ref with a different crew every night. You are asking them within about a seconds time first to process whether or not it was a block or a charge and then take into consideration prior calls.

In about 1 seconds time??? Pretty difficult to do.

That's basically the way I see it. I'm sure ibahawkeye is correct that officiating is difficult.

But here's where I have a problem: I get that the refs aren't going to see every infraction committed on the court. Basketball is a fast moving game, with 10 players on the floor. Things are going to get missed. But are you going to tell me that none of the three refs see a player take 3+ steps without dribbling, or a player get completely mauled underneath the basket, but spot every little touch foul on the other end of the floor? Nope, I don't buy that.

I understand where you're coming from.... but what I think is hard for those that don't officiate to understand is how difficult it is to be consistent.

These guys ref with a different crew every night. You are asking them within about a seconds time first to process whether or not it was a block or a charge and then take into consideration prior calls.

In about 1 seconds time??? Pretty difficult to do.

I agree on the block/charge calls. It's arguably the most difficult call to make, and the official has to make the call with barely a moment's notice.

I agree on the block/charge calls. It's arguably the most difficult call to make, and the official has to make the call with barely a moment's notice.

It is actually a quite easy call to make. Here is a decision tree for you:

(1) Does Zach McCabe have the ball?

(1A) If yes, then it is a charge.
(1B) If no and answer to (2) is also "no", then refer to rule book.
(1C) If no and answer to (2) is "yes", then it is a block.

(2) Is Zach McCabe the defender in question?

(2A) If yes, then it is a block.
(2B) If no and answer to (1) is also "no", then refer to rule book.
(2C) If no and answer to (1) is "yes", then it is a charge.

Translation: Zach gets no love from officials. I've never seen anything like it.

Officials determine the outcome of games all the time. In a close game all it takes is one wrong call or one wrong no call to change the outcome. The entire MSU game could have played out the exact same way and if one ref blows the whistle at the end of regulation for a blatant goaltending, we win the game instead of them.

People always like to say certain things aren't the reason we lost and point to other things as the reason. Truth is, in a close game, there are lots of things that contribute to who wins and who loses. In a close game a blown call can be just as devistating as a made 3 by the other team.

While I see your point that that a call or no call in the final minute of a game can influence the outcome, but that is simply one small factor in a win/loss. Not saying your opinion is wrong by any means, but I see it differently. I look at it with the opinion that the officiating is most likely going to suck and will usually be a variable like the weather as it will usually affect both teams (albeit could affect one team more than the other).

I definitely agree that a blown call can be as devistating as a missed 3 late in the game, but I guess I look at it in terms of an entire game rather than the closing minutes. A few less turnovers, giving up second hand points, a few bad shots, all this stuff early in a game can have just as much of an inpact to outcome of the game as what happens in the final moments. I just simply don't think its fair to weigh what happens in the final minute or two, that much more a deciding factor then what occured earlier in the game. In my eyes while a missed shot or turnover in the minutes are huge, I think the culmination of the missed shots the previous 38 minutes or the 11 or 12 previous turnovers. I guess I just see it as you've got to finish what you start and play the entire 40 minutes rather than base the outcome of a close game in what happens in those final key minutes.

The officials are amateurs and aren't full time employees of the NCAA. They are individual contractors. Write to the NCAA and convince them to hire full time referees and you might get more professional and consistent calls for games. Until then it's not going to change and hopefully we are ahead by enough at the end of a game you don't let the refs decide the outcome.

The officials are amateurs and aren't full time employees of the NCAA. They are individual contractors. Write to the NCAA and convince them to hire full time referees and you might get more professional and consistent calls for games. Until then it's not going to change and hopefully we are ahead by enough at the end of a game you don't let the refs decide the outcome.

I don't think I'd call college basketball officials amateurs. While they may not be full time, I simply don't think an official with no resume or body of work can get assigned to games at the Division 1 level. They may not make a living as officials but I definitely don't think that gives them an amatuer title. They're professionals, but some simply suck more then others.

I like this idea in theory but remember how many sports fall under the NCAA.... are they going to hire rowing officials, if there is such a thing??

I don't think I'd call college basketball officials amateurs. While they may not be full time, I simply don't think an official with no resume or body of work can get assigned to games at the Division 1 level. They may not make a living as officials but I definitely don't think that gives them an amatuer title. They're professionals, but some simply suck more then others.

Do they get paid? If not they are amateurs. If they do they are professionals.

Is 3 seconds in the lane still a rule? I hardly ever see it called, but I see guys camping in the lane all the time.

Do they get paid? If not they are amateurs. If they do they are professionals.

Agreed. I don't think the fact that they're not "full-time" employees of the NCAA holds much merit. They're professionals as far as I'm concerned.

Latest posts