tired of college basketball officials

I still don't understand how they continually fall for the flop. It must be an impulse deal & they can't stop before making the call.i often wonder if after the play they think, "crap i shouldn't have called that."Jackson had one yesterday that was crap.

I bet they do think that a lot. It's so obvious and looks so stupid.

Best I could tell, Ryan is in charge of conversing with the officials during the game while his assistants coach the players.

Not saying they were the reason we lost... but man what a bunch of amateurs.

I don't even know what goes through their head... its got to be scary in there.

The problem seems to be that certain coaches--Izzo/Bo/Boeheim/etc. COUGH COUGH--are immune to certain rules like leaving the box, getting in an official's face, etc. Bad enough, but worse yet, it seems to extend to the players who play for said coaches. Worse still, tools like Dakich buy into. He had the unmitigated gall to actually think McCabe SHOULD have gotten the blocking call, and later, that Kaminsky didn't foul Uthoff, and that "it was good defense!"

And that is when/where the holocaust becomes complete, i.e., when the favored coaches and schools are validated by the media.

Officiating is hardly the ONLY reason we lost yesterday. However, to say officiating wasn't a factor is a disservice to the teams who are continually on the short end of the officiating stick.

2 things a ref should not be allowed to do.

1- talk to a coach. There is no reason for it. If a coach wants to yell at him on his way by that's one thing. But when a ref and a coach have a conversation you can pretty much guarantee that ref is going to blow the whistle against the other team in the very near future.

2- be animated during a call. There is no reason to run out to half court to point the other way. When a ref does that it really shows that he wants the attention. The game isn't about him. It's not his job to pump up the home crowd. Blow your whistle, point the other way, and inbound the ball. That's your job.

Wonderful post. I've always said that if you're a ref I shouldn't know your name unless the TV announcer just told me what it is because the game just started.

There is obvious favoritism for both the bad-gers and the msu jailbirds. Something has to be done such as bringing in refs from outside the conference, or adding a coaches challenge system with an independent booth from the on court officials.

The 2 calls late that made the favoritism most obvious were the blocking call where Zach McCabe was set, could have had a cup of coffee, but still somehow got called. The next one was the bad-ger that took 2 steps and a jump on a drive, but no call. That was absolutely insane. It reminds me off the WWF where the refs knew what result they wanted and would conveniently have their heads turned when wrestlers cheat. I am not sure what the motivation is, tv dollars, gambling money, whatever the case is it needs to be fixed. This is getting too repetitive and too obvious to be a mistake. I am getting tired of fixed games.

It does seem that officials are using criteria to make (or not make) calls that shouldn't be used. For instance, they sometimes try to "keep the game under control." That isn't their job. Just call fouls. Or they don't make calls for something they see because it happens in another ref's "territory." Just make the call. The variation from first half to second half sometimes astounds me. If there are few fouls called in the first half, you can expect a bunch to be called right at the start of the second half, even if the teams are playing the same.

My opinion is officiating doesn't determine the outcome of games. That said, I don't feel the slightest bit bad for an official who's getting his butt chewed up and down by coach/player/fans. Officials have been bad its no secret and they're the only ones that can clean it up or correct it to get better. I do my job poorly, you bet I'm going to hear about it from those I directly associate with. It comes with the territory.

It does seem that officials are using criteria to make (or not make) calls that shouldn't be used. For instance, they sometimes try to "keep the game under control." That isn't their job. Just call fouls. Or they don't make calls for something they see because it happens in another ref's "territory." Just make the call. The variation from first half to second half sometimes astounds me. If there are few fouls called in the first half, you can expect a bunch to be called right at the start of the second half, even if the teams are playing the same.

Agreed. My problems are with consistency and what is/isn't a foul one minute may/may not be the next. My honest opinion is simplify the rule book rather than adding to it. I think the biggest problem is when they outline each year the changes that are being addressed and the "points of emphasis". I'm sorry but as a varsity coach I can tell you first hand that generally the "points of emphasis" fouls/penalties that are preached about early on or changed/modified from the year before are the ones that are either the most inconsistently called/overlooked/ignored. IMO make the changes behind closed doors, the more you go public with it raises everyones awareness to what should/shouldn't be called and does a horrible job of putting the stripes in the spotlight as a focal point.

Not saying they were the reason we lost... but man what a bunch of amateurs.

I don't even know what goes through their head... its got to be scary in there.

Do you know how difficult it would be to make so many split second calls, in front of so many screaming moronic maniacs? My guess is that they probably do a better job than most of us do in our current jobs AND very very few of us, if any, that are complaining, could even come remotely close to doing the job they do.

Do you know how difficult it would be to make so many split second calls, in front of so many screaming moronic maniacs? My guess is that they probably do a better job than most of us do in our current jobs AND very very few of us, if any, that are complaining, could even come remotely close to doing the job they do.

Speak for yourself. I get good performance reviews and was recently promoted, so I'd say I do my job pretty well (daytime message board surfing not-withstanding).

As for me not being able to do their job, I'm sure you're correct. I'd also wager that if you took most any basketball official and put him here at my desk and told him to do my job, that he would be thoroughly and utterly helpless. It goes both ways. We aren't all a bunch of cavemen with an IQ of 85..

Just gotta defend my professional honor a little bit.

Agreed, while I still stand behind a previous post I had a few posts back about inconsistency, I agree 100%. The problem is that by the book if they called a foul everytime one occured the fans/coaches/players would hate it as much as we do now because there's no flow to the game, because fouls are constantly occuring almost every play. Experienced officials are responsible for keeping the game moving while remaining consistent with what is called/isn't called both ways and remaining consistent throughout the game.

I think the majority, or atleast myself has no problem if they're consistently letting them play or calling a tight game. What I do have a problem with is when that "looseness" with which they are calling fouls finds itself changing constantly as the game goes on to the point that the players involved can't find that happy median with what's aggressive play vs. whats being called.

It's not an easy job that is for everyone and there is a great degree of skill involved. That said they're professionals and know exactly what they're doing and need to see to it that they do it to the best and most consistent of their abilities.

It does not take a genius to call a foul when a guy takes 3 steps without a dribble. Fans on the top row or watching on a 19" tv set could see that. The problem is that for whatever reason they are biased towards certain teams. So this situation needs to be remedied. Add coaches challenges, replay booths, rotate independent officials into games whatever it takes.

I looked at Iowa's big 10 results and it confirmed what I suspected. All of Iowa wins in the big 10 have been by 7 or more, all but 1 have been by 10 or more. Every time Iowa did not win it has been by 7 points ir fewer. So for Iowa to overcome the favoritism they have to win by 7, 10 to be safe. Otherwise the refs have figured out ways to give the game to the other team each time. The pattern has been to consistent to be a mistake. They might as we'll spot the other team points at the start of the game.

Speaking of officials, who is the referee in this picture? It seems he's been involved in a few controversial calls this year. I don't like him.

530bfad2a60c0.preview-620.jpg

I don't believe I will hold my breath waiting for Commish Delaney to instruct his officials to quit favoring his chosen children.

My opinion is officiating doesn't determine the outcome of games. That said, I don't feel the slightest bit bad for an official who's getting his butt chewed up and down by coach/player/fans. Officials have been bad its no secret and they're the only ones that can clean it up or correct it to get better. I do my job poorly, you bet I'm going to hear about it from those I directly associate with. It comes with the territory.

Officials determine the outcome of games all the time. In a close game all it takes is one wrong call or one wrong no call to change the outcome. The entire MSU game could have played out the exact same way and if one ref blows the whistle at the end of regulation for a blatant goaltending, we win the game instead of them.

People always like to say certain things aren't the reason we lost and point to other things as the reason. Truth is, in a close game, there are lots of things that contribute to who wins and who loses. In a close game a blown call can be just as devistating as a made 3 by the other team.

It does not take a genius to call a foul when a guy takes 3 steps without a dribble. Fans on the top row or watching on a 19" tv set could see that. The problem is that for whatever reason they are biased towards certain teams. So this situation needs to be remedied. Add coaches challenges, replay booths, rotate independent officials into games whatever it takes.

Why don't you volunteer at a local Youth bball tournament, put on a striped shirt and a whistle and tell me how easy it is...

Let alone D1 athletes.

You have no clue. Don't judge til you try it.

For some reason it became the norm to blow whistle a split second after the foul occurred. Whenever a ref takes a full second to register what happened everyone boos him like he did something wrong. I'm sure a lot of times a ref realized a foul occurred a second after it happened but don't call it because they think its to late. No one should care if the call is a second late if that's what it takes to get it right. I think that's also the main reason anticipation whistles happen.

I have been a volunteer official, but that does not matter. It does not take much experience with the sport to know that 3 steps is a travel. This has happened twice now. Everyone in the arena saw it even the ones that have no experience officiating games. I can't believe the officials did not see it too. So they chose not to call it due to whatever outside influence there was in favor of msu or the bad-gers. So coaches challenges and independent officials may be what is needed. If the game moves the fast for 3 officials add a 4th. I am just tired of Iowa getting jipped by the refs in these close games.

I have been a volunteer official, but that does not matter. It does not take much experience with the sport to know that 3 steps is a travel. This has happened twice now. Everyone in the arena saw it even the ones that have no experience officiating games. I can't believe the officials did not see it too. So they chose not to call it due to whatever outside influence there was in favor of msu or the bad-gers. So coaches challenges and independent officials may be what is needed. If the game moves the fast for 3 officials add a 4th. I am just tired of Iowa getting jipped by the refs in these close games.

If you have actually officiated, then you would understand it's not difficult to miss a call. And if you actually officiated you would understand that not all 3 guys are watching the ball.

And what about the missed calls that go in our favor? Aaron White changed his pivot foot on Saturday prior to an assist. I beleive this happenned early in the 2nd half. It goes both ways and it's part of the game.

I've seen enough of your posts on this site to know your the guy that whines about officiating.... no matter if it was the MSU football game or the Wisconsin basketball game and the **** gets old.

We get it your a hawkeye fan and maybe the officials missed a call here and there but good teams find a way to overcome adversity. This hawkeye basketball team has not been able to overcome this because they can't score late in games.

Latest posts