Time to trade ISU or a MAC team for southern BCS teams for recruiting and exposure

Re: Time to trade ISU or a MAC team for southern BCS teams for recruiting and exposur

National TV exposure that is provided by the BTN, ESPN, and soon, Fox Sports?

I doubt any single southern school views the BTN as "national exposure".

Re: Time to trade ISU or a MAC team for southern BCS teams for recruiting and exposur

If you want to fire Kirk, there are ways of doing it that don't involve being embarrassed on national television.

Hey moron (with all due respect) - remember when we played Miami in the early '90's? We held our own.

Go to Dallas and play SMU. Tons of Iowa fans there. Maybe even have the game at JerryWorld.

JerryWorld would make Dyche Stadium circa 1979 look packed by comparison for an Iowa-SMU game.

OP's a big vagina. We loved playing them when we kicked their *** all the time. 10 bucks the OP wouldn't have made this thread after we win tomorrow. He's just being a scared girl

Wow what a weird post. How am I being a girl/vagina when I would like to see us play one tougher opponent each year.

I didnt say it had to be ISU but I am not kidding that it is a boring game because of the intimacy and the fact that ISU has never been ranked when we played them (from AP history).

So let's say we keep playing ISU and when we play ISU on the road we play a tougher opponent at home and that will also be the year we play 5 big ten home games.

We can schedule one lighter opponent to open the season, then ISU, then the tougher southern team.

I doubt any single southern school views the BTN as "national exposure".

Why wouldn't they? It's on TWC, dish, DTV, ATT, Verizon, and all the major cable providers I can think of. UT-Ole Miss is on the LHN which is only in a very small percentage of households. Whether or not people in other areas choose to watch it is not the same as it being readily available and viewed.

National TV exposure that is provided by the BTN, ESPN, and soon, Fox Sports? How many of you were able to see the UT-New Mexico State game on LHN, or upcoming games against Kansas and Ole Miss that are also only on the LHN? Heck, even here in Austin only about 25% of the city was able to get the LHN until the 30th of August when TWC FINALLY agreed to pick up the channel.

BTN is not necessarily on all cable providers in every market for example Time Warner which is the largest cable provider in Southern California does not carry the BTN. They instead show the Pac 12 network, and I think that is the case with several other cable providers on the Left Coast.

In the case of Mississippi I think they are going to get more benefit play a high profile (albeit underachieving) program in Texas in that state than they would travelling north to Iowa City, even though it is on the Longhorn network and nobody see's it. Pretty easy to have kids you are recruiting in Texas to show up for the game.

I do agree with your point about exposure to some degree, but in this day and age with every major conference offering access to like 3 or 4 networks not sure how one school trumps another.

Thought a neutral field game, every 2-3 years, maybe an Oklahoma State or a Arkansas in Kansas City.

Not sure how the gate receipts would work though and may Iowa or the other school could not afford to do that.

National TV exposure that is provided by the BTN, ESPN, and soon, Fox Sports? How many of you were able to see the UT-New Mexico State game on LHN, or upcoming games against Kansas and Ole Miss that are also only on the LHN? Heck, even here in Austin only about 25% of the city was able to get the LHN until the 30th of August when TWC FINALLY agreed to pick up the channel.

BTN is not necessarily on all cable providers in every market for example Time Warner which is the largest cable provider in Southern California does not carry the BTN. They instead show the Pac 12 network, and I think that is the case with several other cable providers on the Left Coast.

In the case of Mississippi I think they are going to get more benefit play a high profile (albeit underachieving) program in Texas in that state than they would travelling north to Iowa City, even though it is on the Longhorn network and nobody see's it. Pretty easy to have kids you are recruiting in Texas to show up for the game.

I do agree with your point about exposure to some degree, but in this day and age with every major conference offering access to like 3 or 4 networks not sure how one school trumps another.

Thought about neutral field game, every 2-3 years, maybe an Oklahoma State or a Arkansas in Kansas City.

Not sure how the gate receipts would work though and maybe Iowa or the other school could not afford to do that.

Thought about neutral field game, every 2-3 years, maybe an Oklahoma State or a Arkansas in Kansas City.

Not sure how the gate receipts would work though and maybe Iowa or the other school could not afford to do that.

If Pittsburg State (Kansas) can have game at Arrowhead every year, pretty sure UI could swing something with the likes of Okie State, Okie, Arkansas or others.

This was teh dumbest thread I have read in a long time. Thank You

EDIT: (I am talking about only one game on the schedule) I am bored with the ISU series. Last year I almost sold my 2 tickets right outside Kinnick as I just had a feeling about a crap game. I am not pumped for ISU games the last few years and we knew we would destroy them in 09-10.

I would just as much like to see the AD schedule some home and homes with some texas schools since we are recruiting there. I don't care if replace ISU, W Mich, or a Missouri St on the schedule.

I would be really pumped to play TCU, Clemson, Ole Miss, Georgia and maybe we could get some new recruits from those areas.

Reply back with your thoughts and let us all know if you want to keep ISU or dump them for better, different teams. Thaks

I agree with you. The ISU game did nothing for us when we were without a doubt dominating the series under Hayden (other than maybe establishing we are the top dog in the state).

To ISU's credit, they have been more competitive and have had a chip on their shoulder (Super bowl and little brother thing, credit Danny Mac and Rowwds) and have had Ferentz's number (especially in Ames).

However, perception wise, this game does nothing for Iowa nationally, and that is why I want this series to end. Broken record, but when Iowa wins they are suppose to and when they lose to the clowns it looks pretty bad.

Now, if ISU would actually do something in their conference and not blow their wad against Iowa, it would make the game more justifiable. Until then, the game will always pretty much be a been there, done that game for Iowa, win or lose.

This was teh dumbest thread I have read in a long time. Thank You

Why did you read it then? Did you read all the replys? YOu couldnt tell from the title what it was about?

Hey moron (with all due respect) - remember when we played Miami in the early '90's? We held our own.

Geez, which game was that? The one they beat us 48-21 or the night game in IC I attended where Gino Torretta and his waterbug receivers burned us all night with their ridiculous speed? Torretta eased off the pedal later in the game after he set a stadium record for 433 yds passing and a 24-7 win.

mcubed.net : NCAAF Football : Series records : Iowa vs. Miami FL

While more and more BIG teams are reaching out (under the direction of Delany) to toughen their schedules Barta is holding fast to "hanging on".

Thursday's college football roundup: Jim Delany says beefing up schedule is 'long-term view' for Big Ten | The Detroit News

Geez, which game was that? The one they beat us 48-21 or the night game in IC I attended where Gino Torretta and his waterbug receivers burned us all night with their ridiculous speed? Torretta eased off the pedal later in the game after he set a stadium record for 433 yds passing and a 24-7 win.

mcubed.net : NCAAF Football : Series records : Iowa vs. Miami FL

While more and more BIG teams are reaching out (under the direction of Delany) to toughen their schedules Barta is holding fast to "hanging on".

Thursday's college football roundup: Jim Delany says beefing up schedule is 'long-term view' for Big Ten | The Detroit News

Each game was within 3-4 possessions. Two plays. They throw a pick 6 on a scoring drive two different times and that is a 28 point swing. That, sir, is holding our own. We were within 2 plays of beating Miami twice.

I don't think just scheduling a random school from the south is what's gonna grab a recruits interest. Especially when recruiting is best done when connections with areas are maintained. Getting to know coaches and staff from the areas you are assigned to. You can't just schedule an opponent from some area and expect to get a recruit.

I know Georgia hardly ever plays non-conf games away but I dont know why some of those other teams wouldnt play a home and home series and maybe play again 10 years down the line.

No I live in Des MOines but as an example since Fry came to Iowa in 1979 I believe Iowa has had non-conf games against penn st several times, Nebby multiple times, Ucla, NC State, Colorado several times, Syracuse, Pitt, OU, and some Pac 10 teams. But Iowa is playing fewer of these games and Texas teams would be in the same time zone for away games. Most years Northern Illinois would be a somewhat easy win so I would like to see a somewhat tougher non-conf schedule.

Just going off the list you stated, UG,TCU,Clemson,and even Ole Miss gain nothing by coming to Kinnick. This isn't the fry era anymore and Iowa is basically irrelevant to most schools to play a home/home against. I Know that is probably a blow to your psyche but it is what it is. The big names schedule home and homes against each or nuetral site is due to cable ratings for the most part now. Sorry Iowa doesn't move the needle and barely ever did.

And yes when it comes to ISU the needle has always been impotent in our case. Big deal at least we know what we are.

I agree with you. The ISU game did nothing for us when we were without a doubt dominating the series under Hayden (other than maybe establishing we are the top dog in the state).

To ISU's credit, they have been more competitive and have had a chip on their shoulder (Super bowl and little brother thing, credit Danny Mac and Rowwds) and have had Ferentz's number (especially in Ames).

However, perception wise, this game does nothing for Iowa nationally, and that is why I want this series to end. Broken record, but when Iowa wins they are suppose to and when they lose to the clowns it looks pretty bad.

Now, if ISU would actually do something in their conference and not blow their wad against Iowa, it would make the game more justifiable. Until then, the game will always pretty much be a been there, done that game for Iowa, win or lose.

Stupid post of the day.

Just going off the list you stated, UG,TCU,Clemson,and even Ole Miss gain nothing by coming to Kinnick. This isn't the fry era anymore and Iowa is basically irrelevant to most schools to play a home/home against. I Know that is probably a blow to your psyche but it is what it is. The big names schedule home and homes against each or nuetral site is due to cable ratings for the most part now. Sorry Iowa doesn't move the needle and barely ever did.

And yes when it comes to ISU the needle has always been impotent in our case. Big deal at least we know what we are.
Maybe you should point this out on CyFan. They seem to think they are an elite team.

Maybe you should point this out on CyFan. They seem to think they are an elite team.

I am a realist most of CF is full of ruhtards. I know what we are and our place in history. This board could use a dose of reality more times than not when it comes to the significance of Iowa football.

Why is this even a point of discussion? Iowa and ISU are locked in for the foreseeable future, and with the B1G going to a 9 game schedule in 2 years, the other two non-con games are going to be a MAC-type team and a paycheck game.

Why is this even a point of discussion? Iowa and ISU are locked in for the foreseeable future, and with the B1G going to a 9 game schedule in 2 years, the other two non-con games are going to be a MAC-type team and a paycheck game.
This is likely true. Once we go to the 9 game schedule, I'd like to see a cupcake, ISU, and a mid tier BCS opponent. I won't be holding my breath for that one though.

Latest posts