Time for the boys to not be gun shy against the Cuse

The Iowa guard court looked pretty gun shy against texas, and I doubt that will happen two games in a row.

From an offensive standpoint I don't like this matchup very much. But I'd rather have an athletic team play zone versus us than man. We just don't have the athletes to get open or create. The good news is Syracuse seems to be struggling early this year. Key of the game is hitting open shots, if we don't, going to be a long night.

The problem isn't being shy of shooting.

The problem is the shooting has been shy of the target.

Now will all 5 guards bring blanks like they did vs. TEX. No. But 3 of 5 of them need to have good nights most nights. I mean that was the plan sans Marble.

Id stick White at the high post and move Woodbury to the block. White will make a living at the line

I'd actually move Woodbury up to catch entry passes at the FT line. He's tall which makes the pass to him easier against that zone. From there Woodbury is actually a good passer for a big.

You put White behind that zone, running the baseline and he will get a lot of easy buckets.

I like this matchup so much more than the Cal matchup. Cal would have beat us by 20 as their guards would abuse our guards.

I wanna see Jok go out there and Fran just tell him to start gunning. Maybe if he does it, it will loosen everyone else the hell up. That dude sure ain't afraid to shoot it.

Wassabe - I think you are right about a better matchup than Cal. I wouldn't have thought that until I saw them play last night. On the defensive end Cuse is a better matchup.

I think Fran will put Woody at the high post vs the 2-3, by far the most logical move.

The problem isn't being shy of shooting.

The problem is the shooting has been shy of the target.

Now will all 5 guards bring blanks like they did vs. TEX. No. But 3 of 5 of them need to have good nights most nights. I mean that was the plan sans Marble.

It's both, guys like White and Uthoff have passed up decent looks. They need to be taking those shots because when they don't the posession ends with someone like Gesell or Clemmons shooting instead. White and Uthoff combined for 15 shots last night, that number needs to be significantly higher.

I'd actually move Woodbury up to catch entry passes at the FT line. He's tall which makes the pass to him easier against that zone. From there Woodbury is actually a good passer for a big.

You put White behind that zone, running the baseline and he will get a lot of easy buckets.

I like this matchup so much more than the Cal matchup. Cal would have beat us by 20 as their guards would abuse our guards.

That would work too.

It seemed every time White put the ball on the deck and went to the basket he either scored or made 2FT. So while White didn't officially take many shots, getting to the line is basically the same thing. He hoisted up 7 or 8 more shots than his official line says. Don't get me wrong, this is a good thing, he needs to stay aggressive like that.

It's both, guys like White and Uthoff have passed up decent looks. They need to be taking those shots because when they don't the posession ends with someone like Gesell or Clemmons shooting instead. White and Uthoff combined for 15 shots last night, that number needs to be significantly higher.

The team is all basically catch and shoot guys, Gesell/Clemmons, have to hit shots just like everyone else.

Cuse fans are just as demoralized as Iowa fans today. Cuse is very vulnerable on offense. They struggle to shoot the ball also. If Christmas gets in foul trouble like last nite vs Cal, Iowa can roll them....just need Woody, Whitey and Jarrod to pump fake the dude who wants to block everything.

Cuse has one shooter...Cooney....track him all the way beyond the arc, and we should be fine.

Get this game, and it will be a good learning experience for the Hawks...and not hurt our SOS.

I am glad we avoided Cal...they are full of quick athletes that can shoot it from the arc...not good for Iowa...I think they will beat Texas as the Horns lost Taylor from the hard foul that Gabe administered.

Get this game, Hawks....and we can get some nice momentum.

While agreed we match up better against Cuse's zone, as poorly as we shot last night the zone has me worried.

Latest posts