Time for the Big Ten to host a BCS

Look ladies, I snapped the pic below at Soldier a few weeks ago. That is football. This Disney manufactured crap of playing every game at some podunk piece of crap town in the south like Orlando isn't. Football is a northern game, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Green Bay, New York, Baltimore and all of the great northern college programs like Notre Dame, Michigan, OSU and Nebraska are the places that made football into what it is today. Get back to the roots. I'm hoping to hit a playoff game soon irregardless of the weather because I love watching football. It's not that bad unless you're a gal. Another angle is the merchandising angle, schools in the south can sell things like coats and hats to fans that otherwise might not buy them.

IMG00041-20101212-16462.jpg

Hosting a game in Indianapolis is stupid. Why do we want a game in the midwest in January? So that teams from the south have to play out in the elements and find out how tough that is. Playing in a dome eliminates that factor.

For the same reason you would want a Final Four in Minneapolis or Detroit! Why wouldn't someone understand this? It wouldn't be about seeing how a team from the south would play in the elements. Why would you be against it? Why shouldn't we be wanting this? When the major bowls were made, there was no such thing as indoor football and the venues we have now.

To say that a BCS Bowl wouldn't work in Indianapolis would be to say that a Final Four couldn't be played there either... ridiculous. I mean really absurd.

Why blast a guy for asking a good question? It sure wouldn't be a bad idea, and it isn't impossible.

So the question was why not? I have yet to see a good reason why not.

For those who say it wouldn't work... how does the NCAA Tournament games work? Should they all be down south too?

The Super Bowl is in Indy next year. Half of these bowls are played in crappy weather anyway. Pasadena is 55, Dallas is 40 right now, Indy 36. I dont care one way or the other just saying...

Last edited:
The Super Bowl is in Indy next year. Half of these bowls are played in crappy weather anyway. Pasadena is 55, Dallas is 40 right now, Indy 36. I dont care one way or the other just saying...

It's cold everywhere so toughen up, Nancies. As HN Football Board Poster of the Year, I'd much rather stay in the midwest than go some hot spot with woman in bikinis. "Oh, BRRRR, it's cold outside!" You guys are pathetic.

And why is OK4P sitting in the upper prole zone at Soldier? I'm sure he only went up there to get a sweet looking pic, then retreated to his suite.

It's cold everywhere so toughen up, Nancies. As HN Football Board Poster of the Year, I'd much rather stay in the midwest than go some hot spot with woman in bikinis. "Oh, BRRRR, it's cold outside!" You guys are pathetic.

And why is OK4P sitting in the upper prole zone at Soldier? I'm sure he only went up there to get a sweet looking pic, then retreated to his suite.

He gave his suite to charity, he is the most interesting man in the world.

For the same reason you would want a Final Four in Minneapolis or Detroit! Why wouldn't someone understand this? It wouldn't be about seeing how a team from the south would play in the elements. Why would you be against it? Why shouldn't we be wanting this? When the major bowls were made, there was no such thing as indoor football and the venues we have now.

To say that a BCS Bowl wouldn't work in Indianapolis would be to say that a Final Four couldn't be played there either... ridiculous. I mean really absurd.

Why blast a guy for asking a good question? It sure wouldn't be a bad idea, and it isn't impossible.

So the question was why not? I have yet to see a good reason why not.

For those who say it wouldn't work... how does the NCAA Tournament games work? Should they all be down south too?

The number one reason that Big Ten fans want the SEC and Pac-10 to come here in January is so that they have to play in the elements like we do (and the OP said to have the "pansies from the south travel to the cold"). Because the climate here dictates the style of offense and defense that we play (grind it out, out-muscle your man), whereas down south it's a track meet because it's warm. Playing in a dome makes the game no different than playing in the south. Anything goes in warm or indoor climates.

That's the big advantage for midwest teams having the south come to us. Playing in a dome takes that away. Without that climate advantage, I don't see the point in creating a new bowl game in the midwest (there's way too many already, for Christ's sake). And it will never happen anyway, so it's a stupid question because the answer is obvious.

Wait...so this hypothetical "Snow Bowl" game would be played indoors? That makes this idea even more ridiculous. There's no point of having the game in the midwest if the elements are taken out of the equation.

IMO its more about playing closer to home, having more fans, etc. not the weather.

I could care less about having more fans than the opponent. We already do that on a regular basis. Making the teams in the south play in the northern weather is the only reason that this would be an interesting idea. I still don't think that attendance would be great. Maybe not bad, but not great. There's nothing to do in Indianapolis in January, which is why the bowls are mostly in vacation destinations: it attracts more fans. Small bowls can afford to take that risk on, because sponsors aren't having to put as much money into the payouts as they would in a BCS game. Maybe it could work, but sponsors aren't going to take on that kind of risk.

Latest posts