Time for the Big Ten to host a BCS

They are lately, but I went to about 6 games over the 8 years I was down living in So Fla. We could walk up and buy mid field seats at the gate for every one of them; games like Mich v Alabama included.

Regardless, there's more to it than attendance. We are well known for selling a lot of tickets, but we also bring another 10k that just show up and see the sights, tailgate, etc. We provide a big boost to the local economy even when we don't get into the stadium. An outdoor game in Chicago, New York, Denver, etc. will have a tough time getting seats sold to fans out of the south, and also won't draw as many of the sight-seers. I just don't buy that it will work in the north, and it will NEVER happen, so there's no reason to even talk about it.

As many have said, the problem is the Northern location. Average cities in the south can be attractive bowl destinations, just because they're more temperate.
The only indoor facilities in the Big Ten are Indianapolis, Minneapolis and Detroit...hardly exciting destinations for Holiday travel. Espeicially with 12" (or more)of snow on the ground and 15 degree temps. Chicago is a great city, but any "snow bowl" would be a tough sell.

Miami players bundled up in 38 degree weather in El Paso was comical
what was comical was at the orange bowl last year, I am comming out of the water after scuba diving for 1.5 hours and seeing Iowa girls in bikinis and the miami residents in winter coats

Actually, what we need is to eliminate the silliness/fraud/farce known as the BCS and have a Big-10 team host a playoff game or two.

I think it would be nice to see a southern team come up here in the winter elements for a change. However, if the weather is dangerous (and it can be quite unpredictable in the winter) it could could put a major damper on the game (travel, attendance, the game gets postponed, etc). If the game is put into an indoor stadium in the North, then the outdoor weather advantage is neutralized. As much as I would like to see it happen, it won't work under the current system. If a playoff system was ever put into place, maybe there would be a way to make it work, but winter weather could still pose a major problem.

How does a southern team have a home field advantage by playing a bowl game in warm weather? I don't understand how it gives a southern team an advantage.

Under Ferentz, Iowa is 4-1 against southern teams in Florida.

Also, what if a northern city hosted a bowl game and the teams didn't show up. The game in New York was a complete mess. The teams couldn't get to New York. They couldn't practice. Their practices consisted of walk throughs in their hotels.

It doesn't even work in the NFL. The Giants couldn't even get to Minneapolis. The roof collapses so the game gets moved to Detroit. The snow in Philadelphia. It goes on and on.

If it was financially feasible it would have been done long ago. There have been numerous attempts to hold bowl games in the north. The first five Liberty Bowls were held in Philadelphia. It was dubbed the "Deep Freeze Bowl." Before moving to Memphis, one game was played indoors in Atlantic City.

The Medowlands hosted the Garden State Bowl for a few years. Wisconsin played Tennessee in '81. There also have been the Cherry Bowl in Detroit & the Gotham City Bowl.

Like the Super Bowl, the BCS Championship Game could work in a northern city. Because of the huge national demand for tickets and national interest, the game would sell out.

I still want to know about this home field advantage the southern schools have. Last year; Iowa, Penn State & Wisconsin all beat southern schools in Florida.

However, I do think that one BCS game should be played in the north every other year. In a traditional Rose Bowl, the Pac-10 teams have a tremendous home field advantage over the Big Ten. Especially, when USC or UCLA are the west coast representative. Its UCLA's home field.

How does a southern team have a home field advantage by playing a bowl game in warm weather? I don't understand how it gives a southern team an advantage.

Also, what if a northern city hosted a bowl game and the teams didn't show up. The game in New York was a complete mess. The teams couldn't get to New York. They couldn't practice. Their practices consisted of walk throughs in their hotels.

It doesn't even work in the NFL. The Giants couldn't even get to Minneapolis. The roof collapses so the game gets moved to Detroit. The snow in Philadelphia. It goes on and on.

If it was financially feasible it would have been done long ago. There have been numerous attempts to hold bowl games in the north. The first five Liberty Bowls were held in Philadelphia. It was dubbed the "Deep Freeze Bowl." Before moving to Memphis, one game was played indoors in Atlantic City.

The Medowlands hosted the Garden State Bowl for a few years. Wisconsin played Tennessee in '81. There also have been the Cherry Bowl in Detroit & the Gotham City Bowl.

Like the Super Bowl, the BCS Championship Game could work in a northern city. Because of the huge national demand for tickets and national interest, the game would sell out.

I still want to know about this home field advantage the southern schools have. Last year; Iowa, Penn State & Wisconsin all beat southern schools in Florida.

However, I do think that one BCS game should be played in the north every other year. In a traditional Rose Bowl, the Pac-10 teams have a tremendous home field advantage over the Big Ten. Especially, when USC or UCLA are the west coast representative. Its UCLA's home field.

Ahh, so do you like the idea or don't like the idea? you sound torn, at least every other year.

Overall, I like the spirit of the thoughts. I'm sure those with the real dough have thought about it and decided or were swayed otherwise, or we'd have seen it. The lesser bowls mentioned where they have played these games in the north are not on the same discussion plane as an actual BCS game would be. Maybe like SDK said, in a playoff situation it would have to probably bare itself out to some extent. Otherwise as TM said (more or less), it isn't about to happen anytime soon.

It's more about how the weather works for particular schemes than anything. Teams like Florida, Texas, etc. that run the spread and have high-flying attacks wouldn't do that well in cold weather. But Big Ten teams are (for the most part) built to win in the elements of a midwestern winter. That matchup gives the southern teams an advantage. That doesn't mean they always win, but it is an advantage for them.

I think that the advantage is less notable when a team is going from the north or the colder climate to the south a warmer climate. A southern team would have a very difficult time dealing with the cold, I still don’t buy into this people wouldn’t go bit. They had the super bowl in Detroit and it worked out just fine. As far as it being dangerous we are used to this type of weather up here people dress up in there thermals all the time and go out for hours in the could have you ever been hunting? It would only be dangerous if you didn’t dress appropriately for the weather. I just feel that we give a huge advantage by not playing games up here. As soon as those SEC teams stepped off the plain they would be crying wanting to go home to mommy man I would love to see that.

I just traveled back to Iowa and my kids got the flu, it was freezing cold and everything was so damn bland and blah it wasn't even funny. There is a reason the US population density map looks the way it does. There is no chance that a major bowl game will be played in the Northern part of the US and for good reason.

I caught the flu the last two times I went to Florida. You do realize that they are going to play the Super Bowl in New Jersey in a few years, don't you? I suspect the seats will be full. And if you hate Iowa that much, don't eat. For a bland state, it sure does feed a lot of fat *****.

I guess my point is people would have to make a choice but if Iowa was playing in a BCS that choice at least would be a no brainer. Its not like Iowa goes to a BCS every year. And as for the southern teams wanting to travel north, who cares? Don't come. It would just mean a bigger home field(advantage) . Somehow though I feel that if Florida was playing in the NC their fans wouldn't like it but most of them would come or the SEC fan base isn't as rabid a fan base as they have been saying for all this time.

Fixed it for you.

Well-
I agree that Indianapolis should host a BCS Bowl... Could you imagine if the NCAA Basketball Tournament put all the games in the south because of potential bad weather in the North? All games are in Florida, Texas, Arizona, and California... screw everyone else. Wouldn't happen.

The Big Ten travels out to California and Arizona to play the PAC 10, they travel to Florida to play the SEC and ACC, and Texas to play the Big 12.

I think it is time the B10 forces the BCS to have a bowl in Indianapolis... if it is a BCS Bowl, it will sell out... no doubt. There is plenty to do in Indianapolis to keep people busy... bring it.

I don't think it is a crazy idea at all. The Big Ten has a lot more power than you all realize.

Why *should* Indianapolis host a bowl? Aside from our midwestern bias?
Why not? you say its a stupid idea why is it so stupid? The NFL putting the super bowl in NY is a statement that you can play football in the cold. I personally feel that it’s going to be a trend and the Big Ten could capitalize on it. What I don’t get is why are you being so negative about it? I can see you making arguments ageist it but so far all you keep saying is its stupid and that’s not a reason it’s an opinion one that I’m sure a lot of people especially people in the south share but so far you have given no good reason why not other then you just don’t like it.

Last edited:
Why not? you say its a stupid idea why is it so stupid? The NFL putting the super bowl in NY is a statement that you can play football in the cold. I personally feel that it’s going to be a trend and the Big Ten could capitalize on it. What I don’t get is why are you being so negative about it? I can see you making arguments ageist it but so far all you keep saying is its stupid and that’s not a reason it’s an opinion one that I’m sure a lot of people especially people in the south share but so far you have given no good reason why not other then you just don’t like it.

The arguments have been made. Fewer people are going to come to Indianapolis or Columbus or Ann Arbor or wherever people who think the BT should host a bowl game than would go to Florida or Arizona or Texas or California. This isn't a trend. Look at the BT putting their championship game indoors. The trend is going the other way.

BTW, I'd absolutely LOVE to see this happen. I'm just smart enough to see that it won't.

Hosting a game in Indianapolis is stupid. Why do we want a game in the midwest in January? So that teams from the south have to play out in the elements and find out how tough that is. Playing in a dome eliminates that factor.

Latest posts