Time for Fran to go

Barta needs to be the first to go and that should happen ASAP.

I'm willing to stick with Fran even though I'm disappointed in his last two seasons. However if he misses the NCAA's this year and next year, I'll be ready for a change.

Keep in mind Barta extended Fran a few months ago so he isn't going anywhere.

Fran has rolled the dice and lost. He came in with a fresh approach after a horrible previous 3 years. He would appear to have a good staff. When people hear of his recruits, often people feel good. Now, after watching the last 20 games, it really appears the team is dysfunctional. To me, that is the culture and coaching. These players were considered good in high school and clearly are not comfortable in their roles or have lost confidence, maybe motivation as well. To me, the issue is leadership and Fran is accountable for that. Looks like average recruiting, poor player development and poor game management to me. If he does not change the line ups and playing time, he will lose the confidence of the fan base as well. If he has favored loyalty, it needs to go away.

Last edited:
In 35 years of being a Hawk fan I don't remember a time when Iowa basketball and football were both so mediocre at the same time. This is bad, folks. Gary, Kirk, and Fran... Not giving me good feelings and not leaving me excited for the future.

Seem to be the majority of the feedback from this thread.

When ISU hired Fred talking heads in the media were saying you don't build a program with JUCO's - I'm not sure what the answer is but Fran seems stifled out there, like he's holding back. Is he more worried about keeping his composure and not blowing than coaching. Is this on Fran or our players inability to stand up after getting punched in the gut.

Seem to be the majority of the feedback from this thread.

The good news is they make a ton of money to receive criticism when things don't go well. The bad news is they deserve the criticism. Iowa really didn't look like a team against UNI and the coaches deserve criticism for their inability to coach.

Well said....

What I saw tonight has me convinced that Fran is in way over his head. The guy is clueless and he belongs at a mid major school.

He can't recruit, he is a terrible in game coach, he has no offensive game plan (unless it's to have one guy pick up his dribble and four to stand and watch), and he can't put a functioning lineup together.

How many threads do we need here on HN calling for the firing of Fran, Kirk, and Gary? STOP! Just add to one of the other ones!!

Congratulations, HawkforLife! You managed to add a stupid post to another stupid post. You could not evaluate a division 1 basketball coach if your life depended on it.

He is a troll, bro......People keep feeding him so he keeps coming back.

Does anybody really think Fran is going to be fired this year.....

Really, or next year for that matter.....

I really believe that if KF fails again next season he is toast. Another lack luster season will leave Barta with no choice. If Fran struggles the rest of this season and doesn't measure up next season then he will be given the same notification that KF got and be told we expect more (this was Barta"s way of telling KF that he is starting to feel the heat from important people). If Fran struggles the season after that then he will likely be gone. Barta might hear the ice cracking. GO further out Gary, just a few more steps PLEASE???? :D

This thread is hilarious. Now Fran needs to go? Now Fran is over his head? Wow.

Comparing him to Lick? Again, just...wow. We have a guy that injected an energy and enthusiasm into a program that was literally the walking dead.

He has connected with a fan base in a way not seen since Tom Davis.

He has outworked the competition to secure local recruits that in the past would have not even considered Iowa. Sure, I understand those recruits have not necessarily lived up to expectations but that happens all the time in basketball. You are projecting future success, it is not an exact science.

He is doing everything short of throwing chairs to try and inject fire in the belly. He is clearly trying both sides...tough love and encouragement. There is no sign of throwing in the towel by the coach. The players have been a disappointment and are clearly in a mental funk. It is horribly disappointing. That said, all I expect from my coach is to recruit players who give us a chance to compete, do everything in his power to put them in a position to be successful, and represent the program in the right way. Fran checks all of those boxes. Please stop calling for someone's head every single time a season does not immediately reach expectations.

Long story short, I see a basketball coach doing everything in his power to improve this program and I see a coach who has been successful in that effort. Suggesting a coaching change after half a season of disappointment is just about the craziest thing I have read on here in a while. Show a little patience. This culture of immediate gratification gives me a headache.

This thread is hilarious. Now Fran needs to go? Now Fran is over his head? Wow.

Comparing him to Lick? Again, just...wow. We have a guy that injected an energy and enthusiasm into a program that was literally the walking dead.

He has connected with a fan base in a way not seen since Tom Davis.

He has outworked the competition to secure local recruits that in the past would have not even considered Iowa. Sure, I understand those recruits have not necessarily lived up to expectations but that happens all the time in basketball. You are projecting future success, it is not an exact science.

He is doing everything short of throwing chairs to try and inject fire in the belly. He is clearly trying both sides...tough love and encouragement. There is no sign of throwing in the towel by the coach. The players have been a disappointment and are clearly in a mental funk. It is horribly disappointing. That said, all I expect from my coach is to recruit players who give us a chance to compete, do everything in his power to put them in a position to be successful, and represent the program in the right way. Fran checks all of those boxes. Please stop calling for someone's head every single time a season does not immediately reach expectations.

Long story short, I see a basketball coach doing everything in his power to improve this program and I see a coach who has been successful in that effort. Suggesting a coaching change after half a season of disappointment is just about the craziest thing I have read on here in a while. Show a little patience. This culture of immediate gratification gives me a headache.

Good points. Everyone wants to see results fast.

On the other hand, maybe Coaches should not be rewarded so quickly with contract extensions. Fran has brought Iowa from terrible to mediocre. Iowa should have waited just a bit for the contract extension. We seem to be stuck in mediocre and are still the 3rd best program in the state. (same as when he took over)

Same goes with Ferentz. Iowa couldn't wait to give him an extension when there was not a snow balls chance in hell he was going anywhere.

Seems the fans are not the only ones operating on "knee jerk" reactions

Fran needs to win 9 in the Big 10. That may not get us into the tournament at this point; depends who the wins are against. But this team looks to be a 4-6 win BIG team. If that happens, he needs to be on the hot seat next year IMO. Right now the team looks like a joke offensively.

As soon as you tell me how a University President being fired is going to help the football or basketball programs, I will be right there with ya, bud.

Well I think she needs to go, regardless of whatever role she might have with the athletic department. She's really just not good at her job and makes PR blunders about every other week. But I digress on that point. Would she have anything to do with hiring a new AD, beyond rubber-stamping the recommendation of some committee? I honestly don't know what goes into hiring an AD.

Latest posts