Time for Fran to go

I don't recall a time when Iowa athletics was ever this low. At least when football sucked in the pre-Fry era, the basketball usually more than made up for it.

The Fran experiment is now officially over in my mind. Sally Mason, it's your move to initiate the changes that need to be made, starting with Gary Barta, then Kirk Ferentz, then Fran McCaffery. It looks like it will require a woman to clean this house.
She needs to go too.

Last edited:
In 35 years of being a Hawk fan I don't remember a time when Iowa basketball and football were both so mediocre at the same time. This is bad, folks. Gary, Kirk, and Fran... Not giving me good feelings and not leaving me excited for the future.

I think each will get 1 more year( ferentz,barta, mccaffrey) and then we start over.

Why delay the inevitable? That just delays everything for 1 year. There is no indication that anything is going to change in that year, so I say just get it done now, and move on.

What I saw tonight has me convinced that Fran is in way over his head. The guy is clueless and he belongs at a mid major school.

He can't recruit, he is a terrible in game coach, he has no offensive game plan (unless it's to have one guy pick up his dribble and four to stand and watch), and he can't put a functioning lineup together.

The other thing that bugs me is when teams double or triple team our guys we never have a guy cutting to the hoop on the backside or opposite side of the lane to get a pass for any easy dunk/layup?

Could sending a bad team onto the floor be Fran's method of an exit strategy? Get fired/bought out and go to an institution where the administration and athletic department actually care about winning?

I hate knee jerk, fire the coach reactions but let's face it. We have seen nothing resembling a half court offense and the best Fran coached team barely made a play in game after falling apart to end the season. Both football and basketball are so uninspiring at this point that I'm not against trying something to spark interest in our sports again.

Let's face it though, I don't see how firing Fran is going to do anything but put us right where we are currently at best.

I don't think firing Fran will make things better, but something has to change with the team's philosophy. At times our D is very good, but Iowa State and UNI didn't seem to notice it. Our transition game is gone. Other teams simply race back to defend before we can score and we have extreme difficulty getting an open shot in our half court offense. We have players who can play well together, but something has gone wrong with the team chemistry, we are out of sync, especially noticable at the start of the second half of the Iowa State game. The ball isn't exactly bouncing our way and we generally lose the 50/50 balls while seeming to be a step behind. I suppose one way to look at it is we have lost two games in a row quite badly. Iowa State is one of the best teams in the country and UNI is Very Good and were favored for this game, I believe, however it is much worse than simply losing two games in a row, no matter how good the teams are. We have lost our timing and team chemistry. We have been embarrassed and in a way humiliated. I certainly hope that this is not a trend like the end of last season. That possibility has to be going through the players heads and Fran and Staff have to straighten things out very quickly. I believe the next game is crucial to the rest of the season. Can we regain our ability to play like the team that beat North Carolina before we open the Big Season at Ohio State. We have one game to recover and two days to do it. North Carolina just beat Ohio State 82-74.....

I don't have a clue what the answer is, just that is has to come right now. This style of play cannot continue. If we can't change the mindset right away, I fear that this will be a lost season, despite the preseason hope and the ability of the players witnessed in other games. Other than the second half against Texas, we have played well even coming back against Syracuse with chances to win. Will we see that team again this season.....

All through the football season, I comforted myself with thoughts of how good the basketball team was going to be.....

Fran can't nail the threes himself on the floor, but he has to bring this team back to realizing their potential.....

I don't have a clue what the answer is, just that is has to come right now. This style of play cannot continue. If we can't change the mindset right away, I fear that this will be a lost season, despite the preseason hope and the ability of the players witnessed in other games. Other than the second half against Texas, we have played well even coming back against Syracuse with chances to win. Will we see that team again this season.....

All through the football season, I comforted myself with thoughts of how good the basketball team was going to be.....

Fran can't nail the threes on the floor, but he has to bring this team back to realizing their potential.....

I have a clue, and the problem is the head coach. He can't get any of his top targets to commit to Iowa. He can't take a group of kids that have enough talent to make the NCAA and coach them up. When you have 2 top 100 guys, 2 top 150 guys, and a freaking Aaron White who is the only all conference performer of the bunch, and you can't coach them up to beat a UNI, or any other team at all with a pulse, it is a coaching problem.

Latest posts