Tim Lester

Read online that Lester's only track record as a Power 5 OC was at Syracuse in 2014 & 2015. They finished 116th & 119th nationally.

So that's an upgrade from Iowa's 130th in 2023. . . umm, right Coach?

Yikes!
Did you really think he’d look to upstage his son with a better coach?

Who the duck is Tim Lester
Months. He’s had MONTHS to find the right hire. Ferentz is one of the highest paid coaches in the country so one would assume we can pay an OC some coin.

Nope. Let’s go get a guy who was coaching HS football until 10 years ago, barely a .500 head coach at Western before he got fired. He’s been a GB fetching coffee for the real coaches and HE’s our new OC. WTF

One post you say you don't know who he is. 5 minutes later, it's a bad hire. He's coached in HS 1 year and it was 24 years ago. I don't think that disqualifies him from the job.

A different take.....Maybe..... So Kirk Ferentz knew he was hiring Tim Lester for OC. So he asks Lester about a WR coach possibility. Lester had hired Johns previously at Western Michigan ( and knew he was out of a job) & suggested him for WR coach and Ferentz interviewed him while we all thought for OC. Might be far fetched but maybe we all made incorrect assumptions and maybe not.
Interesting.

Let’s get right to the bottom line. #1. Fire KF for a bad hire. #2. Fire Beth for allowing a bad hire. #3. Fire Barbara, U of I president, for her ok on the hire. #4. Attack the big donors, who have to approve this whole mess, and we know from Fry and others that they run the show. Yahoo! Blame all around and assigned. End of the road for Iowa football. Now we can build a case to fire Fran…WTF. Whar Gary Barta?

Last edited:
One post you say you don't know who he is. 5 minutes later, it's a bad hire. He's coached in HS 1 year and it was 24 years ago. I don't think that disqualifies him from the job.
I know how to google someone’s name. It’s not that hard. Yo should try it sometime.

Months. He’s had MONTHS to find the right hire. Ferentz is one of the highest paid coaches in the country so one would assume we can pay an OC some coin.

Nope. Let’s go get a guy who was coaching HS football until 10 years ago, barely a .500 head coach at Western before he got fired. He’s been a GB fetching coffee for the real coaches and HE’s our new OC. WTF
FWIW I don't think KF is even in the top 20 for pay anymore.... the rest of that is spot on

I have been saying for 4 months that the OC hire was likely going to be a step back in coach, it's why I didn't really feel the need to make a change to begin with. This is Kirk's offense. The OC is just another voice and leader for the team but make no mistake, he's not running an offense that he has any sort of autonomy with...which made this a very difficult job to fill.

This whole process reminds me of my experience seeking a prom date in high school.
First, I procrastinated.
Then I asked a few girls who said “thanks, but no thanks”.
Then I asked some girls who were already going with someone else.
Finally, I ended up going with someone who was an out-of-town cousin of my friend who had nothing else to do that evening.

This whole process reminds me of my experience seeking a prom date in high school.
First, I procrastinated.
Then I asked a few girls who said “thanks, but no thanks”.
Then I asked some girls who were already going with someone else.
Finally, I ended up going with someone who was an out-of-town cousin of my friend who had nothing else to do that evening.
........ and I ended up marrying that chic.

FWIW I don't think KF is even in the top 20 for pay anymore.... the rest of that is spot on

#20 on the button, according to a list compiled last October by Front Office Sports:

Tough to get data on private schools, so many of those are estimated based upon reports.

My guess would be he has moved down substantially from that spot based upon the off-season coaching carousel.

Maybe Kirk likes 2 star coaches too.

One thing about Hayden several of his assistants went on to be successful head coaches.

Not to be a smart ass or anything as I don’t know right off hand but how many assistants under Kirk’s twenty-five year reign have gone on to be successful coaches of power five programs? Hopefully it’s not zero.

One thing about Hayden several of his assistants went on to be successful head coaches.

Not to be a smart ass or anything as I don’t know right off hand but how many assistants under Kirk’s twenty-five year reign have gone on to be successful coaches of power five programs? Hopefully it’s not zero.
Bielema?
Although technically, he was a holdover from Fry's staff. Left Iowa in 2001.

Latest posts