Tim Lester

Classic Ferentz move.
Just like the player with no P5 offers he steals away from a MAC school.
He steals an OC with no P5 offers from a Sunbelt team.

A different take.....Maybe..... So Kirk Ferentz knew he was hiring Tim Lester for OC. So he asks Lester about a WR coach possibility. Lester had hired Johns previously at Western Michigan ( and knew he was out of a job) & suggested him for WR coach and Ferentz interviewed him while we all thought for OC. Might be far fetched but maybe we all made incorrect assumptions and maybe not.

Months. He’s had MONTHS to find the right hire. Ferentz is one of the highest paid coaches in the country so one would assume we can pay an OC some coin.

Nope. Let’s go get a guy who was coaching HS football until 10 years ago, barely a .500 head coach at Western before he got fired. He’s been a GB fetching coffee for the real coaches and HE’s our new OC. WTF

Months. He’s had MONTHS to find the right hire. Ferentz is one of the highest paid coaches in the country so one would assume we can pay an OC some coin.

Nope. Let’s go get a guy who was coaching HS football until 10 years ago, barely a .500 head coach at Western before he got fired. He’s been a GB fetching coffee for the real coaches and HE’s our new OC. WTF
Glad we were unwilling to compromise our standards and held out for this guy.

I know it was the MAC, but from from 18-21, I don't count the first year, the W Mich offense was pretty high in the rankings at about 450 yds a game.

Not sure what happened in his final year of 22, but they were very much like Iowa in the past 2 years at 301 yds a game. That final year may be what gave KF the belief Lester would be a good for his OC.

A different take.....Maybe..... So Kirk Ferentz knew he was hiring Tim Lester for OC. So he asks Lester about a WR coach possibility. Lester had hired Johns previously at Western Michigan ( and knew he was out of a job) & suggested him for WR coach and Ferentz interviewed him while we all thought for OC. Might be far fetched but maybe we all made incorrect assumptions and maybe not.
My first thought when I read this was "crack is a powerful drug"... But, if both of these guys end up on staff, I would think maybe KF was thinking in multiple dimensions. That must be some powerful koolaid hawkr.

The decision probably boiled down to the KF "union card" paradigm. Could the Hawkeyes implement Johns' nickle and dime RPO style offense w/ the current roster?

Still I like to dream and if both end up on staff in whatever capacity I would be elated. Otherwise we are looking at a typical "snatch defeat from the jaws of victory" scenario I've come to expect.

Read online that Lester's only track record as a Power 5 OC was at Syracuse in 2014 & 2015. They finished 116th & 119th nationally.

So that's an upgrade from Iowa's 130th in 2023. . . umm, right Coach?

Yikes!

Please just tell me that this is a float a name moment and let the fans who actually watch football tell you why you shouldn’t hire this guy.

Read online that Lester's only track record as a Power 5 OC was at Syracuse in 2014 & 2015. They finished 116th & 119th nationally.

So that's an upgrade from Iowa's 130th in 2023. . . umm, right Coach?

Yikes!
His first season was 2014 and they were terrible. Not that it's great, but 2015 they were actually 71st with 27.2 ppg. I'd take it.

Latest posts