Tim Lester Ready to Get to Work

After listening to his presser I had that good feeling.. is this really Iowa? Yes we've got a legit offensive mind and a former QB on staff. Finally! I have to think that Kirk learned a thing or two about offense - whats possible on offense during the interviews with him.

we may not see it come to maturity for a year or two but we'll definately see improvement.

Gotta admit I like what I hear from him. I think his mentality about wanting to attack and move the football is exactly what you want. He's put a couple good WRs in the league recently. That said the proof will be in the pudding. I'm not going to not give him a chance. But as much as I'd like to hop on the bandwagon of saying things will be great now I can't do that either. I'm not from Missouri but he's going to have to show me first.

At minimum, I liked his presser, and it gives me hope that he is allowed to grow or change the offense within KF's guidelines. Honestly, I don't think he and KF are miles apart. It may be some adaptation on both coaches part to get the offense where it needs to be. I think it was mentioned some different receiver routes and schemes could help boost the offense.

Gotta admit I like what I hear from him. I think his mentality about wanting to attack and move the football is exactly what you want. He's put a couple good WRs in the league recently. That said the proof will be in the pudding. I'm not going to not give him a chance. But as much as I'd like to hop on the bandwagon of saying things will be great now I can't do that either. I'm not from Missouri but he's going to have to show me first.
.........and there is still the question how much Kirk will try to reign in him. Kirk means well but at the same time I often times think he just can't help himself and his conservative philosophy just seems to creep into the mix over time.

.........and there is still the question how much Kirk will try to reign in him. Kirk means well but at the same time I often times think he just can't help himself and his conservative philosophy just seems to creep into the mix over time.
I think the notion that KF reigns in the OC during the game is overstated. I seriously doubt KF ever screams into the headset, "override that call, fullback dive!!!!" KF is obviously going to collaboratively decide starting QB and other personnel decisions, and be a heavy part of putting together the game plan in advance. But, once the bullets start to fly, the OC is calling the plays. KF obviously makes the calls on whether to go for it on 4th, and I suspect offers guidance on now aggressive the OC should be given time, field position, score, etc. But, I firmly believe that the OC is the one calling the plays. When they watch tape after, I am sure KF will have critiques and that will allow Lester and KF to move towards being on the same page. Is that reigning in? A bit, but I think Lester will have a freer hand than most think.

I think the notion that KF reigns in the OC during the game is overstated. I seriously doubt KF ever screams into the headset, "override that call, fullback dive!!!!" KF is obviously going to collaboratively decide starting QB and other personnel decisions, and be a heavy part of putting together the game plan in advance. But, once the bullets start to fly, the OC is calling the plays. KF obviously makes the calls on whether to go for it on 4th, and I suspect offers guidance on now aggressive the OC should be given time, field position, score, etc. But, I firmly believe that the OC is the one calling the plays. When they watch tape after, I am sure KF will have critiques and that will allow Lester and KF to move towards being on the same page. Is that reigning in? A bit, but I think Lester will have a freer hand than most think.
I didn't state or imply during games such as overriding calls. I actually meant that he seems to let his philosophy creep in over time.

Some things that jumped out at me

Tim Lester prefers calling games from the press box instead of from the field.

Tim Lester likes Tight Ends

Tim Lester in 2021 ran an offense that was top 10 in time of possession but never huddled.

If I had to guess, if Tim Lester is going to be sitting in the box, he is going to need somebody down on the field that knows Tim Lester and has worked with Tim Lester in the past. Could be a similar setup to Greg Davis-Bobby Kennedy when Davis was the OC.

Tim Lester in 2021 ran an offense that was top 10 in time of possession but never huddled.

If I had to guess, if Tim Lester is going to be sitting in the box, he is going to need somebody down on the field that knows Tim Lester and has worked with Tim Lester in the past. Could be a similar setup to Greg Davis-Bobby Kennedy when Davis was the OC.

Son.................we all like tight ends.

Tim Lester's comments about liking to sit in the box was interesting because Lester kept talking about the need to see the field to keep making adjustments.

He was talking about when he was the head coach at WMU, he had to be on the field, but he had a OC sitting in the box that was his best friend and that thought exactly the same as he did. So he relied on his guy in the box to constantly feed him the info he needed to make adjustments.

This ability to make adjustments was probably one of Brian Ferentz greatest weakness in 2023. In 2023 if Iowa did not score in the first 2 drives, Iowa was screwed because Iowa's offense always did nothing after the first 2 drives of the game. It got me thinking. Who was Brian talking to in the box in 2022 or 2023?

Last edited:

From how Dochterman and Leistikow talk on their pod, it sounds like Budmayr is a done deal as WR coach.

From how Dochterman and Leistikow talk on their pod, it sounds like Budmayr is a done deal as WR coach.
Yeah it seems to be the worst kept secret out there... And that sucks. I wish someone woulda asked Lester if KF would let him help pick the WR coach... Budmayr ain't it man he's just not. In what shape or form has the QB room improved since he's been around and what makes anyone think he'd do better with WRs instead? Keep him as an analyst or get rid of him but he's the last guy that deserves any kind of promotion

...and to think... If brian were not relieved of his duties by the Athletic Director ...he'd still be the OC

Tim Lester's comments about liking to sit in the box was interesting because Lester kept talking about the need to see the field to keep making adjustments.

He was talking about when he was the head coach at WMU, he had to be on the field, but he had a OC sitting in the box that was his best friend and that thought exactly the same as he did. So he relied on his guy in the box to constantly feed him the info he needed to make adjustments.

This ability to make adjustments was probably one of Brian Ferentz greatest weakness in 2023. In 2023 if Iowa did not score in the first 2 drives, Iowa was screwed because Iowa's offense always did nothing after the first 2 drives of the game. It got me thinking. Who was Brian talking to in the box in 2022 or 2023?
Bob Commings?

...and to think... If brian were not relieved of his duties by the Athletic Director ...he'd still be the OC
100%. Nobody would convince me different either. There is a bit of a misnomer with that it was all Beths decision when it actually came down from above her. The big $ donors squeezed hard enough that President Wilson ran that down the flag pole and Beth had to be the flag bearer for it. So it wouldn't have mattered had Barta still been there or not either $ talks.

But yeah by no means was KF going to fire his kid after winning 10 games. That was his excuse for keeping him on previously too so he had no reason in his eyes to.

His scripted first drives always looked more creative than his calls later in the game. I always wondered why he didn't just script every drive in advance.

His scripted first drives always looked more creative than his calls later in the game. I always wondered why he didn't just script every drive in advance.

You typically don't or really can't do every drive. The reason they do the first drive is because the game is just starting and prob the reason Iowa usually took the ball when won the toss in years past. Once a game starts, the game really dictates the play calling. Trying to run scripted plays later in the game is like trying to shove a square thru a round hole. Fruitless.

If the guy can script an opening drive TD in 8 or 9 games this team will be really good even if they can barely score the rest of the way.

Latest posts