Thoughts on where program is heading?

Yeah, missing on Ulis and Moore, consecutively, will be an issue for a season. But I like what I've seen from Williams. I think he will be more than good at the PG.

Two biggest whiffs for Fran. It is gonna happen when you swing for the fences. Yet I'd rather see Fran at the plate hacking away trying to get the best talent to IC, rather than not even going to bat, and playing it safe.

The goal for this year is to compete for a B1G title and try and get to the second weekend in the NCAA tournament.

The goal every year for this program is to make the tournament. We might miss the tournament 1-3 times in the next 10 years or so but it's a watered down tournament. There are no excuses to be missing the tournament more than that.

There is a foundation to meet the program's standards going forward. Shooting, size, athleticism, etc.

I would disagree that the tournament is watered down. The overall quality may not be the same, but that's due to players not staying in college. There are more teams from non-power conference grabbing spots. You make it sound as if making the tournament 7 or more times in 10 years is a given. It's not. Exactly 4 B1G programs have met that criteria in the last 10 years. Michigan State has made it 17 straight years, Wisconsin has made in 15 straight years. After that both Ohio State and Purdue have made it 7 of the last 10 years on the nose. That's it. Illinois hasn't done it. Indiana hasn't done it. Maryland hasn't done it. All 3 of those schools have significantly more advantages in terms of recruiting for basketball.

I'm not saying that expectations shouldn't be high for the basketball program. I am very much in support of what Fran has done and is doing. I'm just cautioning that there are likely going to be years where the team doesn't make the tournament. Iowa made the tournament 4 times in a 17-year period between 1998 and 2014. That is a generation of irrelevance. It takes time to change perceptions. A third straight NCAA appearance would help to change perceptions.

Definitely trending up with the senior starters.

Purdue, MSU, MD being the cream. Iowa about #4 sounds right. Indy could surprise.

The exhibition loss really seemed to light something under these guys. Their two losses were close games against good teams. They blew out Marquette and Wichita State. They grinded out a win against a good Florida State team. And they've won comfortably over the lesser teams. I just hope we make it a game against ISU. I don't expect to win but it would be nice not to get blown out like last season.

I would disagree that the tournament is watered down. The overall quality may not be the same, but that's due to players not staying in college. There are more teams from non-power conference grabbing spots. You make it sound as if making the tournament 7 or more times in 10 years is a given. It's not. Exactly 4 B1G programs have met that criteria in the last 10 years. Michigan State has made it 17 straight years, Wisconsin has made in 15 straight years. After that both Ohio State and Purdue have made it 7 of the last 10 years on the nose. That's it. Illinois hasn't done it. Indiana hasn't done it. Maryland hasn't done it. All 3 of those schools have significantly more advantages in terms of recruiting for basketball.

I'm not saying that expectations shouldn't be high for the basketball program. I am very much in support of what Fran has done and is doing. I'm just cautioning that there are likely going to be years where the team doesn't make the tournament. Iowa made the tournament 4 times in a 17-year period between 1998 and 2014. That is a generation of irrelevance. It takes time to change perceptions. A third straight NCAA appearance would help to change perceptions.
If you have stability and the right coach in place then yes I do believe Iowa should make the tournament every year in the next 10 sans 1-3. That's the commonality between the schools you listed.

Wisconsin - Ryan
MSU - Izzo
OSU - Matta
Purdue - Painter

So if Fran can stay here for the next decade, then I stand by what I say.

The only missing piece is the lightning quick creator at the point guard. If he can get that with his other pieces we are going to make some people very nervous. What I want to know is how FSU can get McDonalds All-American's?! It's a football school always will be.

I think the team will be streaky because they rely so much on the outside shot. Rebounding will be our #1 weakness.

Mike G is the key.

I totally agree with your first premise about the team being streaky as we have already seen this so far. When our shots are falling we look the we are a top ten team. To be more well rounded we have got to have an inside game at the post. Uthoff is starting to show more aggressiveness but he has got to be more consistent night in and night out. Woodbury appears to have topped out with his abilities. Looks like he might give us ten points a games with seven to ten rebounds. We need someone else besides just these two guys to play at the post positions on both ends of the court.

Mike plays a central part of the offense as far as ball movement and getting assist for other players to score. However he does not seem like the type of explosive player that every Big Ten contender needs to have. Missing key free throws at the end of the game needs to be improved upon.

If I had to pick a playmaker at the guard position it would have to be Jok. He has the size and athleticism needed to be that type of player. Also he can light it up from different locations on the floor. Mike with his eight to twelve points a game is very important but not what this team desperately needs to be a threat at the B1G level. Jok has that ability and he just seems like he is a sleeping giant just waiting to be awakened. I think he is just starting to come into his own and has so much more to offer once he feels his dad is giving him the keys to the car to totally run the floor. I think that once Mike and Clemmons have moved on you will see this take place. I am hoping we see it this year.

The biggest weakness I see is at the interior post position. If Uthoff can bring it every game in the B1G like he did in this last game then we will be in much better shape. Even so, he still needs help as he can't do it alone. Woody is average at best and that's not a knock as being average as a center in the B1G is anything but an insult.

We have so many new young players and it is going to be interesting to see which ones step up and become playmakers in the future. I am hoping Moss and Jok can cause some real damage in the conference next year playing together. This year looks like it's going to be a hard thing to determine as we don't seem to have the fast break explosiveness toward the basket since White is gone, well at least not yet anyways............ Fingers crossed and hoping that someone emerges to be that guy.

I think it depends on how you project Bohannon. Is he going to be a true PG? Is he going to be a shooter off the bench? To me, Bohannon looks to be an elite shooter. So, if he can evolve into a comparable ball handler as MG and run the team like MG, then Bohannon is an upgrade because he is a shooter. So, if's and more if's. But he's definitely a shooter.

He's got better handles than his brothers, too. I saw him play against Ankeny Centennial last year and came away very impressed. I was glad to see Fran get him.

He's got better handles than his brothers, too. I saw him play against Ankeny Centennial last year and came away very impressed. I was glad to see Fran get him.

A pg you can rely on to close out a close game with free throws would make up for a lot of deficiencies elsewhere.

Latest posts