Thoughts on Iowa v NW

I know that big men are supposed to keep the ball up high, but on at least half the bunny shots that Woody misses, he could take one dribble and slam it home.

Better than doinkin 'em off the rim all the time...
Agree with this but the change in his game over the last 10 is impressive. I think it took him that long to acclimate to the physicality of the college game. I too wish that he would take 1 power dribble and hammer home a dunk instead of a turn around 5 footer all the time. It will come with age though.

Agree with this but the change in his game over the last 10 is impressive. I think it took him that long to acclimate to the physicality of the college game. I too wish that he would take 1 power dribble and hammer home a dunk instead of a turn around 5 footer all the time. It will come with age though.

Woody is very physically gifted. His issues are things that can be taught, which is why he will be better than SonderGorney. I suspect they'll get him in a big man camp this summer and he'll be a beast next year. Erek Hansen went to one and looked like a different player when he came back from it.

I am sorry, but having Woody bring the ball down is a bad idea...better chance with him doing the jump hook or short flip. Mel was the guy that could have really exploited NW in that spot,but Fran rested him....we won,I am happy.

I know this was not Iowa's best game, but I am just amazed by how much Iowa basketball has progressed over the past three years. The quality of athlete on this team is so far above what we had not too long ago that it is impossible to measure. And, the defensive improvement after Fran found out how to play in the Big Ten has been nothing short of miraculous. Win or lose tonight, NCAA or NIT, as a season ticket holder, watching the Hawks progress the last three years has been a thing of beauty. Next year, look out top tier of the BT!

I think Carmody is a good coach his players seem to love him. It's just a rare thing to see a coach go through their time outs like that. I felt Iowa was coasting to an extent there. If they would have made those 6-8 footers and layups they missed. Not to mention free throws it wouldn't have been nearly as close. Coach McCaffery did a great job of spreading out the mins. I know thats something he's done a great job of doing with this deep team all yr. I think they may have had one eye on MSU and wanted to have as many fresh bodies going into that as possible

Did not realize AW was viewed as such an actor. Will have to keep an eye tonight and future games...

I am sorry, but having Woody bring the ball down is a bad idea...better chance with him doing the jump hook or short flip. Mel was the guy that could have really exploited NW in that spot,but Fran rested him....we won,I am happy.

I get worried about Woody and his elbows. When his was in high school he could clear w/ the elbows because he was taller. In college it's ripe for an ejection.

I don't think White was faking anything. Go back to the tape and watch him shake NU hands. He reached across and did it all with his left hand. I have a feeling he hurt something on his right hand..

Fatigue shouldn't become a factor until tomorrow. That's when our depth comes into play. Of course we play guys 40 minutes tonight if that's what it takes because we have to have this one and I think the players really want this one.

I get nervous about certain games and other games just feel like they're going to go well. I'm not at all uptight about tonight's game. I know we'll give a big effort...have every game this year. I think we will leave it all on the floor and I'm not sure Michigan State is that invested in this particular game. I know they're good and want to win but we're also good and have to win. I'm feeling real good about it.

You are right about MSU - they have their eyes each year on the Big Prize (lucky them), this one is secondary

I don't think White was faking anything. Go back to the tape and watch him shake NU hands. He reached across and did it all with his left hand. I have a feeling he hurt something on his right hand..

The paper this morning said it was a hyper extended elbow.

Basabe was the perfect guy for that middle zone shot last night. He could of had twenty if he had all those shots.

Anything can happen when you get in (see, e.g., Butler). Just got to take it 40 minutes at a time.

Steve Alford, three-time MWC Coach of the Year, AP All-American, winner of Big Ten conference (tournament) championships, might disagree with this. You have to win each five-minute stretch in a game, he preaches. So really you have to take it five minutes at a time eight times a game. Unless you go to overtime. Or fail to cover a 3-point shooter with time expiring...

I was impressed with Gesell's energy and mobility. Surprised really. Today will be the bigger test, both in level of competition as well as the soreness. His shot looked a little sideways at times, but he hit a huge trey when Iowa needed it.

Marble has really stepped his game up...or maybe he's just back to the level he was at before he rolled his ankle and hurt his toe in the same weekend practice injury before Iowa hosted Michigan State. Marble has averaged over 17ppg for the last eight games. He's still not a great shooter, may never be, but he has that 'it' when he needs it, or has of late.

I think White was mostly pretending to be hurt on that one rebound...basketball has an element of theater and Marble and White are two actors at times ;)

Iowa's strategies against zone defense have been real, real good this year. Their execution hasn't always matched the plan, but the plan is sound and that is a huge improvement over recent years.

Last night wasn't a bad bubble night for Iowa...but it all comes down to today...lose today, no NCAA. Win, and I think it's a 50/50.

It's okay to not be a great shooter, but Marble looked like he was standing around a lot in the second half. The reason I like him at PG is he is so much more aggressive, but when he is off the ball he seems to watch after a certain point during the game and sometimes the whole game.

I liked the Illinois game where he was very aggressive on and off the ball for the whole game, that is the Marble Iowa has to have to knock off a team like MSU, plus it draws more attention and when Marble is playing with that mindset, he gets everyone involved as well.

Ball movement and shot selection when Iowa has the ball tonight will decide the game, they will play good enough defense to win the game.

Latest posts