Thoughts, Observations, Notes from Iowa’s Win against Alabama St.

The hawks looked really good the first 10 minutes or so, especially their new defensive prowess. If Joe finds his rhythm offensively (and JBo) gets his shot going, this team is going to be really tough to defend as well.

The only nitpicking thing I would say is the crapppy defense returned a little bit in the later part of that game. I hope that doesn’t form any bad habits. A lot of us last year felt the PTL and the crappy competition overseas might have formed some bad habits for the team. This team is more veteran laden now so they should be fine.

Very winnable game Tuesday night against an ACC opponent. Hope they play well but also don’t want to get too far ahead but that Wisconsin game next Friday almost feels like a must win to me. A potential 0-2 start in the B1G would put us behind the 8 ball.

I'm not too concerned about the second half defense since it was our second/third string and walk-ons that played most of the minutes. It's also hard to keep up the intensity when you're up by 40. The starters looked really good in the first half.

We haven't had a player who can clean the defensive glass like Garza since Ed Horton. What a pleasure to have a guy like that playing for us. When Luka blocks his man out it feels like he seals off the whole side of the court.

Obviously, Greg Brunner and Reggie Evans were excellent rebounders as well. But I think of them them more as offensive rebounders. Those are nice to have as well.
Reggie is the best pure rebounder we've had bar none... Horton was good and Bruner for being a tad undersized was good too but Reggie was just a monster. Garza plays hard but he's not in their category yet. I thought I saw him get out battled giving up some offensive ones to the other team. I'd like to see him also take a foul down their now and then and not give up the put backs so easily. I know he wants to stay on the floor and not get in foul trouble which is the fine line I'm talking about walking here but every now and then I'd like to see him toughen up at the defensive end

I was really hoping that Gard was a bust.
He is 16-16 in games decided by six points or less, a long way from his mentor (84-55)

He may still be a competent coach, but Bo set an awfully high bar.

Gard did a great coaching job knocking Villanova out of the NCAA'S in 2017, a poor job defending the three point shot from FSU that knocked them out.

This is the year we will truly find out what Gard has. Early returns have been favorable for Greg and Wisconsin.

Reggie is the best pure rebounder we've had bar none... Horton was good and Bruner for being a tad undersized was good too but Reggie was just a monster. Garza plays hard but he's not in their category yet. I thought I saw him get out battled giving up some offensive ones to the other team. I'd like to see him also take a foul down their now and then and not give up the put backs so easily. I know he wants to stay on the floor and not get in foul trouble which is the fine line I'm talking about walking here but every now and then I'd like to see him toughen up at the defensive end

Completely disagree about Cook fouling to not allow a bucket inside. As the best player on a team fouling out isn't helpful to your team. If it's late in the game and he 0 or 1 fouls then fine take that foul. Otherwise don't foul. Often those types of fouls result in and 1 opportunities for the other team. It's the same reason that on a fast break often you see the chasing defender make a half hearted swipe at the ball. You prevent those points by not turning it over and boxing out on the defensive end to not allow an offensive rebound.

Completely disagree about Cook fouling to not allow a bucket inside. As the best player on a team fouling out isn't helpful to your team. If it's late in the game and he 0 or 1 fouls then fine take that foul. Otherwise don't foul. Often those types of fouls result in and 1 opportunities for the other team. It's the same reason that on a fast break often you see the chasing defender make a half hearted swipe at the ball. You prevent those points by not turning it over and boxing out on the defensive end to not allow an offensive rebound.
He's talking about Garza, and, I agree with him. Committing a hard foul rather than giving up a bunny sends a message that can pay off over time. The 80s Celtics and Pistons made a living at that.

We haven't had a player who can clean the defensive glass like Garza since Ed Horton. What a pleasure to have a guy like that playing for us. When Luka blocks his man out it feels like he seals off the whole side of the court.

Obviously, Greg Brunner and Reggie Evans were excellent rebounders as well. But I think of them them more as offensive rebounders. Those are nice to have as well.
Imagine that, an Iowa player boxing out someone for a rebound. What is going on here? Surreal.

I was speaking of Garza who if anything I think plays a tad tentative. That's kinda my point he's hardly ever been in foul trouble has he? Every now and then big guys should be committing some and it's perfectly fine. I'm not saying draw 2 of them in the first 3 mins like JBo did the other day. I'm saying now and then let the other team know they aren't going to just get an easy put back all the time.

From ESPN draft article:

Bol Bol | Oregon
I caught the Ducks against Iowa and Syracuse alongside quite a few NBA executives in New York. Bol had a combined 45 points, 18 rebounds, 9 blocks and 4 steals in 59 minutes while going 1-1 against possibly the two best teams he'll face all season.

What minutes do you give Pemsl? Pemsl has turnover issues and isn’t good enough offensively or defensively to take away minutes from Kreiner. The first time Ash shot the ball I thought he was throwing an alleyoop with those shooting mechanics. I said what in the actual F? Lol . Hawks looked really good last night granted their opponent was completely inferior. Cook needs to finish out his career and get his degree . The NBA won’t be calling with no outside game. Overall he has improved a little in some other areas though.
His game is solid enough to get in the D-league where he can work on his shot. I would love he do that at Iowa but I think Mac wants him close to the basket. Tough call for Tyler.

I'd put Ryan Bowen in that group, too. He was a rebounding machine and turned it into an NBA career.

It's really too bad Cook is so dead set on leaving early (unless it's just exaggerated by fans and media). Imagine our optimism for next year if we knew we had the whole team back except Baer, then added two more pieces.
Im still trying to figure out who transfers Baer and Cook gonzo after this year:

Incoming: Nunge, Toussant, McCaffrey, Fredrick

Current that will remain: McCaffrey, JBo, Weiskamp, Dailey, Kreiner, Garza, Moss, Pemsl,

12 kids are NOT going to get adequate playing time no matter how you slice it and if Cook were to happen to return, as unlikely as that is but if we have a GREAT year perhaps he rethinks that, then you have an unwieldy playing situation to deal with unless you can just tell 2 of them you're redshirting.

Im still trying to figure out who transfers Baer and Cook gonzo after this year:

Incoming: Nunge, Toussant, McCaffrey, Fredrick

Current that will remain: McCaffrey, JBo, Weiskamp, Dailey, Kreiner, Garza, Moss, Pemsl,

12 kids are NOT going to get adequate playing time no matter how you slice it and if Cook were to happen to return, as unlikely as that is but if we have a GREAT year perhaps he rethinks that, then you have an unwieldy playing situation to deal with unless you can just tell 2 of them you're redshirting.
I could see both Toussant and Patrick redshirting, especially Patrick. I'm sure both he and Fran realize that he needs to add some weight and get stronger. Pemsl and Fredrick will get very limited playing time. That leaves primarily an 8-man rotation, 9 if Toussant is against the idea of redshirting. Pemsl probably is the biggest threat to transfer after this season. It all depends upon his goals and priorities, but he's just not a B1G level player.

I could see both Toussant and Patrick redshirting, especially Patrick. I'm sure both he and Fran realize that he needs to add some weight and get stronger. Pemsl and Fredrick will get very limited playing time. That leaves primarily an 8-man rotation, 9 if Toussant is against the idea of redshirting. Pemsl probably is the biggest threat to transfer after this season. It all depends upon his goals and priorities, but he's just not a B1G level player.
Pemsl's best chance of being a B1G level player was to do what he did his freshman year-play at 255-260 and have the girth to seal his defender in the post. But given his extensive history of knee and leg problems dating back to high school that playing at that weight was a risky proposition.

Playing at his current weight may be better for his well being but otherwise makes him a classic "tweener" at three positions, with an odd skill set that doesn't match up well at any of those positions at this level.

I'm surprised he never developed his mid-range and peremeter game. He sure had it in high school.

Riley Till was his high school teammate. It would be incredibly ironic if Till ended up being the better collegiate player, but I have a feeling were going to get a chance to find out. Cordell's latest injury, Nunge's redshirt, and the conference season looming (and the inevitable nights Cook and Garza are going to encounter foul trouble) are probably going to give Till his opportunity.

A good problem, redshirting players because of talent log jams.